|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||130 (and 42.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Bones, raw rat meat|
|Examine text||Eww, a bald rat!|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
Brine rats are Slayer monsters that require the partial completion of Olaf's Quest to be reached or assigned as a slayer target. A Slayer level of 47 is required to fight the brine rat. They are located in the Brine Rat Cavern, which requires a spade to gain entrance. Brine rats have relatively low defence, but they can deal over 100 damage, relatively high for their combat level. The Brine rat also doesn't hit as accurately as the Bloodveld and Infernal mage, so collecting death and blood runes is easier.
Brine rats are usually neglected, similar to the Infernal Mage, since their drops don't earn a lot of profit. They drop a fair number of runes and are much easier to defeat if you're looking for death and blood runes.
Multiple safespots exist, one of them involving the use of the light coloured skeleton in the room. Rangers and Mages may attack across these bones, trapping the monsters on the other side of the pile.
If you bring a tinderbox and logs, you can cook their meat or the raw shark drops to last longer if you are doing slayer. Alternatively, there is a fire tended by Olaf Hradson located just outside of the cavern's exit which provides an excellent location to cook either the rat meat or dropped raw fish. They also drop the brine sabre.
- Use the Fairy rings (D-K-S) and dig the area just south of the tree
- Use a Ring of slaying Teleport to the Rellekka Slayer Dungeon and then run north
- Use the Lyre teleport run east
- Use the Grand Exchange's dwarf train station. Run across Keldagrim to the entrance you used to take to get inside, and the cave is just about on top of the entrance
Food and healing tips:
- If you take the raw unnoted fish, you can leave the cave and cook them using the fire next to Olaf. This way you will not have to bank as often, but you will need to have at least 45/80 cooking to do this. You can also take a stack of logs with you and cook them at the spot.
- Some good food such as swordfish or monkfish or lobsters would be helpful in staying for long periods of time.
- You can also bring bones to peaches tabs. All you have to do is pick up the bones and click on the tab for an unlimited supply of peaches.
- It is advisable to bring a Bunyip (level 68) pouch and some scrolls. Brine rats drop plenty of raw fish with which you can heal yourself by using the bunyip's scroll, "Swallow Whole", to keep your life points up. Not recommended if you have very high combat stats though.
- Do not forget to bring a spade. Spade in toolbelt does not count! (A spade respawns next to Olaf)
- Bring armour with good defence as well as a good weapon. Higher levels will not require as much food, however, they can cook the raw food drops of the brine rat.
- You no longer need to finish Olaf's Quest in order for the Brine rats to drop the Brine Sabre!
- Brine rats are considered to be a very good source of money for their noted drops and the much coveted brine sabre. However, the brine sabre has been dropping in price.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 27,260 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Raw lobster 10 (noted) Uncommon 3,930 Raw shark 1 Uncommon 1,112 Raw shark 3, 8 (noted) Uncommon 3,336–8,896 Raw pike 18 (noted) Uncommon 1,170 Raw swordfish 9 (noted) Uncommon 4,455 Raw rat meat 18 (noted) Rare 1,674
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Earth rune 10, 18, 36 Common 220–792 Death rune 7 Common 2,065 Water rune 10, 18 Uncommon 270–486 Air rune 18 Uncommon 504 Blood rune 4 Uncommon 2,004
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 1, 2, 4, 29 Common Not sold Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,566 Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Brine sabre 1 Rare 61,907 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,392 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,578 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,008 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,698 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 33,854 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 34,730 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,670 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,202 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,515 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,219 Rune javelin 5 Rare 915 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,382 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,448 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,871 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,562,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,042 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,599 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,213 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,133 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,262,550 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 96,512 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,566 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 62,975–88,165 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 63,525–88,935 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 717 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 462 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 17,000–25,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 18,480–24,640 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,240 Law rune 45 Rare 19,710 Death rune 50 Rare 14,750 Blood rune 50 Rare 25,050 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 61,875–123,750 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 278,000 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 85,350–102,420 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 132,550–168,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 192,300–320,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,000 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,121,300 Rune bar 1 Common 14,108 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 705,400 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 114,940–147,780 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 100,500–117,250 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 88,496–188,054 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,425 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 19,824 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,712 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 491,082–1,145,858 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,234,100 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 161,550–197,450 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold