|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||124.7 (and 41.1 experience)|
|Always drops||Bones, raw rat meat|
|Examine text||Eww, a bald rat!|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
Brine rats are Slayer monsters that require the partial completion of Olaf's Quest to be reached or assigned as a slayer target. A Slayer level of 47 is required to fight the brine rat. They are located in the Brine Rat Cavern, which requires a spade to gain entrance. Brine rats have relatively low defence, but they can deal over 100 damage, relatively high for their combat level. The Brine rat also doesn't hit as accurately as the Bloodveld and Infernal mage, so collecting death and blood runes is easier.
Brine rats are usually neglected, similar to the Infernal Mage, since their drops don't earn a lot of profit. They drop a fair number of runes and are much easier to defeat if you're looking for death and blood runes.
Multiple safespots exist, one of them involving the use of the light coloured skeleton in the room. Rangers and Mages may attack across these bones, trapping the monsters on the other side of the pile.
If you bring a tinderbox and logs, you can cook their meat or the raw shark drops to last longer if you are doing slayer. Alternatively, there is a fire tended by Olaf Hradson located just outside of the cavern's exit which provides an excellent location to cook either the rat meat or dropped raw fish. They also drop the brine sabre.
- Use the Fairy rings (D-K-S) and dig the area just south of the tree
- Use a Ring of slaying Teleport to the Rellekka Slayer Dungeon and then run north
- Use the Lyre teleport run east
- Use the Grand Exchange's dwarf train station. Run across Keldagrim to the entrance you used to take to get inside, and the cave is just about on top of the entrance
Food and healing tips:
- If you take the raw unnoted fish, you can leave the cave and cook them using the fire next to Olaf. This way you will not have to bank as often, but you will need to have at least 45/80 cooking to do this. You can also take a stack of logs with you and cook them at the spot.
- Some good food such as swordfish or monkfish or lobsters would be helpful in staying for long periods of time.
- You can also bring bones to peaches tabs. All you have to do is pick up the bones and click on the tab for an unlimited supply of peaches.
- It is advisable to bring a Bunyip (level 68) pouch and some scrolls. Brine rats drop plenty of raw fish with which you can heal yourself by using the bunyip's scroll, "Swallow Whole", to keep your life points up. Not recommended if you have very high combat stats though.
- Do not forget to bring a spade. Spade in toolbelt does not count! (A spade respawns next to Olaf)
- Bring armour with good defence as well as a good weapon. Higher levels will not require as much food, however, they can cook the raw food drops of the brine rat.
- You no longer need to finish Olaf's Quest in order for the Brine rats to drop the Brine Sabre!
- Brine rats are considered to be a very good source of money for their noted drops and the much coveted brine sabre. However, the brine sabre has been dropping in price.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 27,260 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Raw lobster 10 (noted) Uncommon 3,510 Raw shark 1 Uncommon 1,143 Raw shark 3, 8 (noted) Uncommon 3,429–9,144 Raw pike 18 (noted) Uncommon 1,260 Raw swordfish 9 (noted) Uncommon 3,987 Raw rat meat 18 (noted) Rare 1,764
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Earth rune 10, 18, 36 Common 160–576 Death rune 7 Common 2,450 Water rune 10, 18 Uncommon 200–360 Air rune 18 Uncommon 414 Blood rune 4 Uncommon 2,000
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 1, 2, 4, 29 Common Not sold Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,849 Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Brine sabre 1 Rare 64,967 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,092 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,076 Uncut ruby 1 Common 2,928 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,062 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 27,134 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 30,293 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 13,198 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,011 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,480 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,213 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,288 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,434 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,909 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,572,400 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 21,958 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,619 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,586 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,231 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 11,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,257,600 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 94,419 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,849 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 65,950–92,330 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 64,125–89,775 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 560 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 399 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 14,000–21,000 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 21,660–28,880 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,440 Law rune 45 Rare 19,485 Death rune 50 Rare 17,500 Blood rune 50 Rare 25,000 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 55,375–110,750 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 285,750 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 85,050–102,060 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 149,050–189,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 203,100–338,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,700 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,068,600 Rune bar 1 Common 14,177 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 708,850 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 118,685–152,595 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 113,640–132,580 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 89,264–189,686 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 1,401 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 16,099 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 7,458 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 496,065–1,157,485 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,565,080 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 161,100–196,900 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold