|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||130 (and 42.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Bones, raw rat meat|
|Examine text||Eww, a bald rat!|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
Brine rats are Slayer monsters that require the partial completion of Olaf's Quest to be reached or assigned as a slayer target. A Slayer level of 47 is required to fight the brine rat. They are located in the Brine Rat Cavern, which requires a spade to gain entrance. Brine rats have relatively low defence, but they can deal over 100 damage, relatively high for their combat level. The Brine rat also doesn't hit as accurately as the Bloodveld and Infernal mage, so collecting death and blood runes is easier.
Brine rats are usually neglected, similar to the Infernal Mage, since their drops don't earn a lot of profit. They drop a fair number of runes and are much easier to defeat if you're looking for death and blood runes.
Multiple safespots exist, one of them involving the use of the light coloured skeleton in the room. Rangers and Mages may attack across these bones, trapping the monsters on the other side of the pile.
If you bring a tinderbox and logs, you can cook their meat or the raw shark drops to last longer if you are doing slayer. Alternatively, there is a fire tended by Olaf Hradson located just outside of the cavern's exit which provides an excellent location to cook either the rat meat or dropped raw fish. They also drop the brine sabre.
- Use the Fairy rings (D-K-S) and dig the area just south of the tree
- Use a Ring of slaying Teleport to the Rellekka Slayer Dungeon and then run north
- Use the Lyre teleport run east
- Use the Grand Exchange's dwarf train station. Run across Keldagrim to the entrance you used to take to get inside, and the cave is just about on top of the entrance
Food and healing tips:
- If you take the raw unnoted fish, you can leave the cave and cook them using the fire next to Olaf. This way you will not have to bank as often, but you will need to have at least 45/80 cooking to do this. You can also take a stack of logs with you and cook them at the spot.
- Some good food such as swordfish or monkfish or lobsters would be helpful in staying for long periods of time.
- You can also bring bones to peaches tabs. All you have to do is pick up the bones and click on the tab for an unlimited supply of peaches.
- It is advisable to bring a Bunyip (level 68) pouch and some scrolls. Brine rats drop plenty of raw fish with which you can heal yourself by using the bunyip's scroll, "Swallow Whole", to keep your life points up. Not recommended if you have very high combat stats though.
- Do not forget to bring a spade. Spade in toolbelt does not count! (A spade respawns next to Olaf)
- Bring armour with good defence as well as a good weapon. Higher levels will not require as much food, however, they can cook the raw food drops of the brine rat.
- You no longer need to finish Olaf's Quest in order for the Brine rats to drop the Brine Sabre!
- Brine rats are considered to be a very good source of money for their noted drops and the much coveted brine sabre. However, the brine sabre has been dropping in price.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 27,147 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Raw lobster 10 (noted) Uncommon 3,110 Raw shark 1 Uncommon 1,888 Raw shark 3, 8 (noted) Uncommon 5,664–15,104 Raw pike 18 (noted) Uncommon 1,188 Raw swordfish 9 (noted) Uncommon 3,645 Raw rat meat 18 (noted) Rare 2,034
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Earth rune 10, 18, 36 Common 200–720 Death rune 7 Common 1,400 Water rune 10, 18 Uncommon 350–630 Air rune 18 Uncommon 594 Blood rune 4 Uncommon 1,280
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1, 2, 4, 29 Common Not sold Water talisman 1 Uncommon 12,015 Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Brine sabre 1 Rare 51,843 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,462 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,688 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,645 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 6,016 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 17,099 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 37,800 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 15,025 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,432 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,507 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,225 Rune javelin 5 Rare 860 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,220 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,550 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,378 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,657 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 825,350 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,290 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,877 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,007 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,087 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,600 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,254,300 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,650–75,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,597,600 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 101,561 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 12,015 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 65,975–92,365 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 66,125–92,575 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 960 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 380 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 9,500–285,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,620–22,480 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,660 Law rune 45 Rare 14,130 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 10,000–24,200 Blood rune 50 Rare 16,000 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 50,625–405,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 472,000–944,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 106,800–356,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 41,250–2,062,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 290,100–1,547,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,000 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,166,300 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,367,000–23,569,000 Rune bar 1, 50 (noted) Rare 14,842–742,100 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 126,225–1,262,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 130,410–521,640 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 84,920–849,200 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,208 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 67,095–3,354,750 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 136,796–957,572 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,370,730 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,486 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 20,350–8,140,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold