|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||130 (and 42.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Bones, raw rat meat|
|Examine text||Eww, a bald rat!|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
Brine rats are Slayer monsters that require the partial completion of Olaf's Quest to be reached or assigned as a slayer target. A Slayer level of 47 is required to fight the brine rat. They are located in the Brine Rat Cavern, which requires a spade to gain entrance. Brine rats have relatively low defence, but they can deal a maximum of 93 damage, relatively high for their combat level. The Brine rat also doesn't hit as accurately as the Bloodveld and Infernal mage, so collecting death and blood runes is easier.
Brine rats are usually neglected, similar to the Infernal Mage, since their drops don't earn a lot of profit. They drop a fair number of runes and are much easier to defeat if you're looking for death and blood runes.
Multiple safespots exist, one of them involving the use of the light coloured skeleton in the room. Rangers and Mages may attack across these bones, trapping the monsters on the other side of the pile.
If you bring a tinderbox and logs, you can cook their meat or the raw shark drops to last longer if you are doing slayer. Alternatively, there is a fire tended by Olaf Hradson located just outside of the cavern's exit which provides an excellent location to cook either the rat meat or dropped raw fish. They also drop the brine sabre.
- Use the Fairy rings (D-K-S) and dig the area just south of the tree
- Use a Ring of slaying Teleport to the Rellekka Slayer Dungeon and then run north
- Use the Lyre teleport run east
- Use the Grand Exchange's dwarf train station. Run across Keldagrim to the entrance you used to take to get inside, and the cave is just about on top of the entrance
Food and healing tips:
- If you take the raw unnoted fish, you can leave the cave and cook them using the fire next to Olaf. This way you will not have to bank as often, but you will need to have at least 45/80 cooking to do this. You can also take a stack of logs with you and cook them at the spot.
- Some good food such as swordfish or monkfish or lobsters would be helpful in staying for long periods of time.
- You can also bring bones to peaches tabs. All you have to do is pick up the bones and click on the tab for an unlimited supply of peaches.
- It is advisable to bring a Bunyip (level 68) pouch and some scrolls. Brine rats drop plenty of raw fish with which you can heal yourself by using the bunyip's scroll, "Swallow Whole", to keep your life points up. Not recommended if you have very high combat stats though.
- Do not forget to bring a spade. Spade in toolbelt does not count! (A spade respawns next to Olaf)
- Bring armour with good defence as well as a good weapon. Higher levels will not require as much food, however, they can cook the raw food drops of the brine rat.
- You MUST finish Olaf's Quest in order for the Brine rats to drop the Brine Sabre!
- Brine rats are considered to be a very good source of money for their noted drops and the much coveted brine sabre. However, the brine sabre has been dropping in price.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 26,461 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Raw lobster 10 (noted) Uncommon 1,710 Raw shark 1 Uncommon 1,832 Raw shark 3, 8 (noted) Uncommon 5,496–14,656 Raw pike 18 (noted) Uncommon 954 Raw swordfish 9 (noted) Uncommon 2,799 Raw rat meat 18 (noted) Rare 1,800
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Earth rune 10, 18, 36 Common 110–396 Death rune 7 Common 735 Water rune 10, 18 Uncommon 190–342 Air rune 18 Uncommon 486 Blood rune 4 Uncommon 944
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1, 2, 4, 29, 30 Common Not sold Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,207 Brine sabre 1 Very rare 23,383 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,854 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,328 Uncut ruby 1 Common 5,068 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,915 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 26,371 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 42,431 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,889 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,477 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 17,033 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,279 Rune javelin 5 Rare 920 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,647 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,455 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,957 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 851,650 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,416 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,029 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,927 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,474 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,200 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,244,400 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,650–75,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,514,800 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,873,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,500,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 87,486 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,207 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 18,425–25,795 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 79,675–111,545 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 91 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 145 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,580–22,320 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,540 Law rune 45 Rare 14,850 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,250–12,705 Blood rune 50 Rare 11,800 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 38,875–311,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 458,000–916,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 79,050–263,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 25,500–1,275,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 481,050–2,565,600 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,037,400 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,939,000–27,573,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 12,994–1,949,100 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 66,462 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 116,100–1,161,000 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 134,520–538,080 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 57,620–576,200 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 45,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,595 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 73,411–3,670,550 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 159,220–1,114,540 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,409,060 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,533 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 19,896–616,776 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,004 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,200–9,640,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold