|Release date||10 April 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||130 (and 42.9 experience)|
|Always drops||Bones, raw rat meat|
|Examine text||Eww, a bald rat!|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
Brine rats are Slayer monsters that require the partial completion of Olaf's Quest to be reached or assigned as a slayer target. A Slayer level of 47 is required to fight the brine rat. They are located in the Brine Rat Cavern, which requires a spade to gain entrance. Brine rats have relatively low defence, but they can deal over 100 damage, relatively high for their combat level. The Brine rat also doesn't hit as accurately as the Bloodveld and Infernal mage, so collecting death and blood runes is easier.
Brine rats are usually neglected, similar to the Infernal Mage, since their drops don't earn a lot of profit. They drop a fair number of runes and are much easier to defeat if you're looking for death and blood runes.
Multiple safespots exist, one of them involving the use of the light coloured skeleton in the room. Rangers and Mages may attack across these bones, trapping the monsters on the other side of the pile.
If you bring a tinderbox and logs, you can cook their meat or the raw shark drops to last longer if you are doing slayer. Alternatively, there is a fire tended by Olaf Hradson located just outside of the cavern's exit which provides an excellent location to cook either the rat meat or dropped raw fish. They also drop the brine sabre.
- Use the Fairy rings (D-K-S) and dig the area just south of the tree
- Use a Ring of slaying Teleport to the Rellekka Slayer Dungeon and then run north
- Use the Lyre teleport run east
- Use the Grand Exchange's dwarf train station. Run across Keldagrim to the entrance you used to take to get inside, and the cave is just about on top of the entrance
Food and healing tips:
- If you take the raw unnoted fish, you can leave the cave and cook them using the fire next to Olaf. This way you will not have to bank as often, but you will need to have at least 45/80 cooking to do this. You can also take a stack of logs with you and cook them at the spot.
- Some good food such as swordfish or monkfish or lobsters would be helpful in staying for long periods of time.
- You can also bring bones to peaches tabs. All you have to do is pick up the bones and click on the tab for an unlimited supply of peaches.
- It is advisable to bring a Bunyip (level 68) pouch and some scrolls. Brine rats drop plenty of raw fish with which you can heal yourself by using the bunyip's scroll, "Swallow Whole", to keep your life points up. Not recommended if you have very high combat stats though.
- Do not forget to bring a spade. Spade in toolbelt does not count! (A spade respawns next to Olaf)
- Bring armour with good defence as well as a good weapon. Higher levels will not require as much food, however, they can cook the raw food drops of the brine rat.
- You no longer need to finish Olaf's Quest in order for the Brine rats to drop the Brine Sabre!
- Brine rats are considered to be a very good source of money for their noted drops and the much coveted brine sabre. However, the brine sabre has been dropping in price.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 27,260 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Raw lobster 10 (noted) Uncommon 3,600 Raw shark 1 Uncommon 1,408 Raw shark 3, 8 (noted) Uncommon 4,224–11,264 Raw pike 18 (noted) Uncommon 1,188 Raw swordfish 9 (noted) Uncommon 4,086 Raw rat meat 18 (noted) Rare 2,160
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Earth rune 10, 18, 36 Common 160–576 Death rune 7 Common 1,554 Water rune 10, 18 Uncommon 220–396 Air rune 18 Uncommon 504 Blood rune 4 Uncommon 1,764
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 1, 2, 4, 29 Common Not sold Water talisman 1 Uncommon 16,593 Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Brine sabre 1 Rare 59,569 Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,365 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,872 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,404 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,655 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 30,596 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 36,191 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,893 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,151 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,150 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,244 Rune javelin 5 Rare 885 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,376 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,199 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,181 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,456,000 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,401 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,624 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,211 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 58,935 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,276,950 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 111,748 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 16,593 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 145,850–204,190 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 142,825–199,955 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 809 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 514 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 16,000–24,000 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 17,400–23,200 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,840 Law rune 45 Rare 17,595 Death rune 50 Rare 11,100 Blood rune 50 Rare 22,050 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 56,750–113,500 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 352,000 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 81,600–97,920 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 139,150–177,100 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 263,100–438,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,700 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,044,100 Rune bar 1 Common 14,355 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 717,750 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 152,880–196,560 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 156,600–182,700 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 125,552–266,798 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,335 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 26,997 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,550 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 416,295–971,355 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,234,780 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 164,700–201,300 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.