The Brine Rat Cavern is a series of caverns which feature heavily in Olaf's Quest. It can be entered after starting the quest by digging south of the windswept tree, on a plateau east of Olaf Hradson and south east of the Rellekka Hunter area with a spade in the inventory. After digging the hole, the player will be stunned for a few seconds.
The exit to the cavern is found in the south-western side, blocked by a rock. Rolling the rock will expose the exit.
The cavern consists of a mixture of interior and exterior areas. The main cavern and the area at the end of the cavern are separated by coastal areas and a slippery walkway.
The Brine Rat Cavern is in the north-eastern region of the Fremennik Province. This is a remote area and takes some time to walk to. There are some faster means to get here:
- Fairy ring code DKS is very close to the cavern's entrance. Using fairy rings requires partial completion of A Fairy Tale Part II quest.
- The Fremmenik Province lodestone is fairly close to the cavern's entrance. The cavern's entrance is located north-east of the Lodestone.
- The Eagle transport system flies to the Rellekka Hunter area, north of the dungeon's entrance. Players must have completed the Eagles' Peak quest to use the eagle transport system.
- The passage to Keldagrim is close to the cavern's entrance. Players must have at least started The Giant Dwarf quest to have access to Keldagrim. Keldagrim is important in that two transport systems go there:
- The Mine carts run to Keldagrim from three locations. One is the tunnel under White Wolf Mountain; access to the tunnel requires completion of the Fishing Contest quest. The second location is in the Dwarven Mine under Ice Mountain. And the third and best location is beneath the trapdoor on the west side of the Grand Exchange. All carts are free of charge.
- A train system runs between Dorgesh-Kaan and Keldagrim. The train is free to use but requires the player to have completed Another Slice of H.A.M. quest.
- The slayer ring teleport to the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon is just south of the Brine Rat cavern.
The entrance and exit to the cavern can be found in the south western corner. There are many monsters which make their home here, such as giant bats, found in the passage closest to the entrance, and brine rats, found in a cavern just east of the giant boulder.
The picture wall that separates the first cavern from the first coastal area is a puzzle door that must be solved during Olaf's Quest. After completing the puzzle it remains open.
The coastal area to the far north of the cavern contains more skeletal fremeniks and rock crabs. The eastern coastal area contains rope and rotten barrels and the western side contains a shipwreck formerly captained by Ulfric Longbeard and the captain's grave, just east of the wreck. The two areas are separated by a slippery walkway and a door with multiple locks.
Searching the chest in the wreck will cause Ulfric's reanimated skeleton to attack. After he is defeated, the chest can be searched again to loot Ulfric's treasure.
- It's possible to see the part of the cave with Ulfric's shipwreck with the Orb of oculus from the Rellekka Hunter area Polar Eagle Cave. Walk toward the end of the southern eagle's nest, and go east with the orb. Eventually (and with fullscreen), you can see something like the picture to the right.
- Examining the boulder at the cave exit reads 'Keeps rolling, rolling, rolling...' This is a reference to the Limp Bizkit song Rollin'.
|Related to the Fremennik quest series|