Brawling gloves are members only drops from Revenants, the Chaos Elemental, and the rare drop table. They can also be received by pickpocketing elven clan workers or defeating elven warriors in Prifddinas. They were released on 15 October 2008, along with PvP worlds.
When wearing the gloves outside the Wilderness, players receive a 50% boost to experience gained in the corresponding skill, for a total of 1.5× normal experience. In the Wilderness, the boost scales according to the depth the player is in, from 50% bonus to 300% (totaling 4× normal experience). The 300% bonus starts at level 47 wilderness, just south of the fence.
As the Mage Arena bank is the only bank in this area, it is recommended that players use their gloves here, if a bank is needed. Note that the bank is not actually in the Wilderness, so players will need to return via the lever to do any training with the gloves, in order to get the full bonus.
Non-combat gloves disintegrate after a set amount of charges have been used. For example, smithing brawlers are destroyed after 434 items made, with other brawlers having different amounts of charges. Combat gloves have a cap on experience rewarded that does not increase at any depth in the Wilderness. The gloves do not work during Bonus XP Weekends or with the Enlightenment aura.
There are 13 types of brawling gloves:
- Brawling gloves (Agility)
- Brawling gloves (Cooking)
- Brawling gloves (Fishing)
- Brawling gloves (FM)
- Brawling gloves (Hunter)
- Brawling gloves (Magic)
- Brawling gloves (Melee)
- Brawling gloves (Mining)
- Brawling gloves (Prayer)
- Brawling gloves (Ranged)
- Brawling gloves (Smithing)
- Brawling gloves (Thieving)
- Brawling gloves (WC)
- The gloves match the base colour of the skillcape of their respective skill. The melee gloves, which have no directly corresponding cape, have a similar shade of red to the Attack cape.
- There was a bug where Brawling gloves obtained by pickpocketing elven workers in Prifddinas on the day of release would degrade to dust as soon as the player used them. The bug was fixed, but gloves obtained during this time retained the limited use.
- On 28 April 2014, brawling gloves were added to the rare drop table.
- On 10 November 2014, the bonus experience effect of brawling gloves was changed to scale with depth in the Wilderness.
- A week later, on 17 November, brawling gloves were updated so that their remaining charges can now be checked using a right-click "Check charges" option.