|Release date||21 January 2001 (Update)|
|Examine|| Guards the border between Al Kharid and the Kingdom of Misthalin.|
|Notable features||They guard the borders of the starting area and the Al Kharid toll gate.|
|Release date||17 September 2009 (Update)|
|Location||Draynor village, Varrock, Gunnarsgrunn, Falador and the gate to the Exam Centre.|
|Examine|| Guards the border.|
|Notable features||They guard the borders of the starting area.|
The Border Guard is a non-attackable non-player character who charges a player 10 coins to cross the border between Al Kharid and Lumbridge. They wield weapons similar to a steel halberd, and are the only free-to-play NPCs to wield halberds other than the fortress guards at the Black Knights' Fortress. They appear between many other gates or walls (but do not charge for entry).
On 17 September 2009, two border guards of each were added to the Draynor, Falador and the Gunnarsgrunn area. They let you pass for free, and you cannot communicate with them. Any players with a total level of 59 or under will receive the following confirmation message on whether to pass through this gate or not, unless the account is 3 days or older: "You are now leaving the starting area. Outside the starting area, things can get more dangerous and you won't be able to access the tutorials."
- The Kharidian border guards resemble Al-Kharid warriors.
- In one of the Postbags from the Hedge, Postie Pete apparently discovered that the two Border Guards were stealing the money. When he further inquired about this, the Border Guards distracted him and were "replaced" with two other guards that look exactly the same.
- Previously, if you talked to them in the now discontinued Learning the Ropes tutorial, they would talk about how the residents of Lumbridge are inconsiderate in keeping a dragon as a pet.
- When RuneScape HD was released, the Al Kharid Border Guards received a new look, their old one being a combination of orange and purple.
- Glitches have been discovered by players in Gunnarsgrunn and Draynor, causing them to become stuck in a wall and stand between the guards, respectively.
- The Al Kharid guards will all turn and look at a player if the player goes near them.
- Another glitch was found on 22 November 2011; the border guards at places such as the Barbarian Village and Port Sarim had stopped working, preventing people getting through to the other side. This has now been fixed.
- There is also a glitch when a yellowish lava runs down the trousers and sleeves of the guard's clothing. This has not been fixed.