This article is about readable books. For the magical offhand, see Book (equipment type).
Books are items obtained in quests and elsewhere in RuneScape. Most books can be read by players, which provides information ranging from lore to information on game mechanics. When a player reads a book, their character displays an emote of looking at a green covered book, similar to the way reading the World Map displays an emote.
Books in bookcaseEdit
Bookcases are built in the Parlour, Quest Hall or Study of a player-owned house. All of the bookcases will contain the same books. Bookcases have the ability to save bank space, because they automatically store most books from previously completed quests and other miscellaneous books. There are some exceptions, and these are listed below. There currently are a total of 96 books that can be stored in a bookcase.
Books are stored in the following order:
(non quest-related books in a random order first, then in alphabetical order of quests)
|Citadel handbook (basic)||A handbook detailing the basics of clan citadels.|
|Citadel handbook (advanced)||A handbook further detailing clan citadels.|
|Clan avatars for members||A handbook detailing the basics of clan avatars.|
|The Diary of Tarn Razorlor||Tarn Razorlor's Diary, into which is bound the spell needed to enhance the powers of the Salve Amulet.|
|Ultimate Guide to Glassblowing||A guide to the craft of glassblowing, by Fritz the Glassblower of Entrana.|
|Legend of the Brothers||The tale of 6 brothers whose remains were interred in the Barrows of Morytania.|
|Pie Recipes||Recipes for a variety of pies.|
|Party Pete's Bumper Book of Games||Instructions for a variety of party games you can play in your house.|
|The Blurberry Cocktail Guide||Recipes for the cocktails sold in Blurberry's bar.|
|'My Notes'||Discoveries from the ancient cavern beneath the lake.|
|Dominion journal||A warrior's discoveries about the tower and its creation.|
|Magic Training Arena Lore Book||Information about the Mage Training Arena north-east of Al-Kharid.|
|Stronghold of Security notes||Some notes on the layout of the Stronghold of Security, and the creatures found there.|
|Abyssal Research Notes||A Zamorakian researcher's notes on the discovery and nature of the Abyss.|
|Beyond Trollheim||Nestor Peregrine, a dwarven explorer, wrote this account of his discovery of a vast battlefield beneath the mountains beyond Trollheim.|
|Queen Help||How to make and use an Omega egg in the Barbarian Assault minigame.|
|RuneScape Account Security||Security tips, including how to choose a secure password and good recovery questions.|
|Gianne's Cook Book||The collected recipes of Aluft Gianne.|
|Guide to Construction||A helpful book about how to add rooms and furniture to your house.|
|Brewin' guide||How to make Mos Le'Harmless Rum in the Trouble Brewing minigame.|
|The Book of the Big High War God (Another Slice of H.A.M.)||A goblin history book, telling of how they fought for the Big High War God, and of the prophecy of the Chosen Commander.|
|The Arzinian Being of Bordanzan (Between a Rock...)||A book about a terrifying entity that was encountered in the mines of Keldagrim.|
|The Little Book o' Piracy (Cabin Fever)||How to act and talk like a pirate.|
|Carnillean Family History (Carnillean Rising)||How the Carnillean family overthrew the evil Hazeel and became the founders of Ardougne.|
|Clockwork Toys - Chapter 1.0 (Cold War)||A book about clockwork mechanisms, with a note about how to make a clockwork suit that can be controlled from the inside.|
|'My Notes' (Dealing with Scabaras)||Discoveries about the Scarabites living east of Sophanem.|
|Translation Primer (Desert Treasure)||A translation of the cuneiform writing found on a stole tablet.|
|Volatile Chemicals (The Dig Site)||The recipe for an explosive compound, found in the library of the Dig Site.|
|Dwarf Multicannon Manual (Dwarf Cannon)||Instructions for the operation of the multicannon.|
|William Oddity's Guide to the Avian (Eagles' Peak)||William Oddity's notes on useful species of bird, including the mysterious giant eagles.|
|The Journal of Arthur Artimus (Eagles' Peak)||The journal of Arthur Artimus, a brigand who had a hideout in Eagles' Peak.|
|Journal of Perjour (The Elder Kiln)||The account of Perjour's last few days alive, found within the tunnels leading from the TzHaar city to the Elder Kiln.|
|Book of the Elemental Shield (Elemental Workshop I)||Information about a lost workshop and a special shield that can be made there.|
|Book of the Elemental Helm (Elemental Workshop II)||The discovery of the technique whereby one's consciousness may be instilled into an ingot of 'primed' elemental metal.|
|Book of the Elemental Body (Elemental Workshop III)||A book about a secret workshop, and the body armour that can be made there.|
|Book of the Elemental Boots (Elemental Workshop IV)||A book about a secret workshop, and the boots that can be made there.|
|Book of the Elemental Gloves (Elemental Workshop IV)||A book about a secret workshop, and the gloves armour that can be made there.|
|Crystal Singing for Beginners (The Eyes of Glouphrie)||Oaknock's translation of an introduction to the elven art of Crystal Singing.|
|The Book of Char (The Firemaker's Curse)||Char's journals and Firemaking patterns.|
|The Ruins of Uzer (The Golem)||Notes made by Varmen, an archaeologist excavating the ruins of Uzer.|
|Gnome-English Translation Dictionary (The Grand Tree)||Common words in the ancient Gnome language, translated into the modern tongue by Anita.|
|Glough's Journal (The Grand Tree)||The journal of Glough, former Tree Guardian of the Grand Tree.|
|Prayer of Deliverance from Poisons (The Great Brain Robbery)||Allows you to cure yourself of poison through prayer.|
|Gunnar's Ground (Gunnar's Ground)||A poem written by Dororan the dwarf for the chieftain of the barbarian village.|
|Jossik's Diary (Horror from the Deep)||The diary of Jossik, keeper of the Lighthouse.|
|Lighthouse Manual (Horror from the Deep)||Lightomatic Deluxe 500 Maintenance, Upkeep and Users' Manual: Second Edition.|
|Ancient Diary (Horror from the Deep)||The diary of Silas, describing his encounters in the caves beneath the Lighthouse.|
|The Little Book of Embalming (Icthlarin's Little Helper)||How to embalm the dead in accordance with the practices of Sophanem and Menaphos, by Bod E Wrapper.|
|The Sleeping Seven (In Aid of the Myreque)||An account of the seven priestly warriors who fought against the forces of evil in Hallowvale.|
|Histories of the Hallowland (In Aid of the Myreque)||The history of Morytania in the times before the darkness fell upon it.|
|Modern day Morytania (In Aid of the Myreque)||A guide to Morytania as it is today.|
|Shaman's Tome (Legends' Quest)||Notes made by Ungadulu, shamanof a tribe in the Kharazi Jungle.|
|Book of Binding (Legends' Quest)||An ancient tome on Demonology, including information about how to fight demons with holy water.|
|A History of the Goblin Race (The Lost Tribe)||A list of old goblin tribes and their symbols.|
|Diary of Runvastr (Love Story)||A Primer in the Mystical Arts, by a member of the Moonclan.|
|Basics of Magic (Lunar Diplomacy)||A Primer in the Mystical Arts, by a member of the Moonclan.|
|Drozal's Journal (Making History)||The journal of Drozal, a follower of Zamorak who briefly lived in the outpost north of Ardougne.|
|The great divide (Mourning's Ends Part I)||The attempt by the forces of Baxtorian to return to Tirranwn and restore peace to Prifddinas.|
|Settlement of the East (Mourning's Ends Part I)||The settlement of the eastern lands by the Cadarn clan.|
|The Creation of Prifddinas (Mourning's Ends Part I)||The origin of the elf race.|
|Exploration of the Eastern Realm (Mourning's Ends Part I)||The expansion of the elven domain into the lands east of Tirranwn.|
|Journal of Nissyen Edern (Mourning's Ends Part II)||The journal of Nissyen Edern, an elf who served with the Death Guard.|
|Farmer Gricoller's Farming Manual (My Arm's Big Adventure)||How to grow healthy crops, even in difficult areas.|
|The Tale of Scorpius (Observatory Quest)||A history of the study of astronomy, or possible astrology.|
|Citharede Hymn Book (One Piercing Note)||A hymn book from the Citharede Abbey.|
|Valerio's Lyrics Sheet (One Piercing Note)||Lyrics sheet for the song of the troubadour near the Citharede Abbey.|
|Investigator's notebook (One Piercing Note)||The notebook used in the murder investigation at the Citharede Abbey.|
|Yewnock's notes (The Path of Glouphrie)||Yewnock's notes on the use of devices such as singing bowls to enable mortals to chant crystals.|
|Bolrie's Notebook (The Prisoner of Glouphrie)||Bolrie's research notes on anti-illusion devices.|
|The Ratpits Manual (Ratcatchers)||The rules of the ratpits.|
|Big Book of o' Bangs (Regicide)||A book of instructions for the manufacture of fire oil.|
|Dathana's message (Ritual of the Mahjarrat)||A book telling of the destruction of a civilization on the plane of Kethsi.|
|Crystal Singing for Beginners (Roving Elves)||Ilfeen's book about the elven art of crystal chanting.|
|The Cadarn Linage (Roving Elves)||Golrie's book about the history of the Cadarn elf clan.|
|AMCE Lift-In-A-Box User Manual (Royal Trouble)||Troubleshooting your AMCE Lift-In-A-Box.|
|Armod's Burnt Diary (Royal Trouble)||The diary of Armod, a young Fremennik who caused political strife between Miscellania and Etceteria.|
|Combination Runes (Rune Mechanics)||A guide to combining runes.|
|Diary of Herbi Flax (Shades of Mort'ton)||The diary of Herbi Flax, a villager of Mort'ton, detailing his investigation of the Flamtaer temple.|
|The Confession of Ellemar (Shadow of the Storm)||Ellemar's explanation for his attempt to summon the demon Agrith-Naar.|
|The Shield of Arrav (Shield of Arrav)||The history of the legendary shield of Arrav.|
|Dionysius: A Legend in his own Lifetime (Swan Song)||The biography of Dionysius, a modern-day hero.|
|Ancient Hymnal (The Temple at Senntisten)||A hymnal of chanted Zarosian Curses.|
|Managing Thine Kingdom - for Noobes (Throne of Miscellania)||Advisor Ghrim's book of advice about how to manage a kingdom.|
|TzHaar Tourist Guide (TokTz-Ket-Dill)||Advice for tourists planning to visit the TzHaar city.|
|Tourist Guide to Ardougne (Tribal Totem)||An excessively enthusiastic introduction to Ardougne, containing the full name of Lord Handelmort.|
|History of Iban (Underground Pass)||Kardia's account of how she created Iban.|
|The Journal of Randas (Underground Pass)||The Journal of Randas, who came to grief in the Underground Pass.|
|The Void Knights' Creed (A Void Dance)||History and tenets of the Void Knight order.|
|Void pest research notes||Jessika's collected notes on void pests and their society.|
|Book on Baxtorian (Waterfall Quest)||The history of Baxtorian, his wife and his lost treasure.|
|The fall of the Dagon'hai (What Lies Below)||An account of how the Dagon'hai order came to Varrock and were subsequently banished.|
|The Journal of Sin'keth Magis (What Lies Below)||The journal of Sin'keth Magis, a member of the Dagon'hai.|
|Movario's Notes (1) (While Guthix Sleeps)||Research notes made by Movario.|
|Movario's Notes (2) (While Guthix Sleeps)||More research notes made by Movario.|
|Witch's Diary (Witch's House)||The diary of Nora T. Hagg, a witch who lives in Taverley.|
|Book of Portraiture (Zogre Flesh Eaters)||How to draw a portrait.|
Having these books in your inventory, and using them on the bookcase gives this message: There doesn't seem to be space for that on the bookcase.
- God books including Damaged books:
- Mage's book - reward from Mage Training Arena activity
- From Wise Old Man's bookshelves:
- Slashed book - After the quest, it will be found in the same house south of the Elemental Workshop in Seers' Village. The Battered book, however, can be found within the bookcase; use a knife on the Battered book to get the Slashed book. However, either book can be used in the Elemental Workshop to make a Elemental shield or Mind shield.
- Books given as rewards:
- Old tome - a reward from the Meeting History quest.
- Tome of xp - a reward from Darkness of Hallowvale quest. After the third reading: "The book crumbles into a dust cloud of knowledge."
- Tome of xp 2nd ed - a reward from Legacy of Seergaze quest.
- Book of knowledge - a reward from the Surprise Exam! random event
- Locked diary - part of Returning Clarence miniquest after Back to my Roots quest; will not be available after the miniquest.
- Tightrope 101 - provides instructions on performing tightrope tricks in Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza. The book disappears after the performance.
- Wilderness manual - Provides information on the Wilderness.
- Turkey book - provides a list of locations for locating turkeys during the 2008 Thanksgiving event.
- Soul wars guide - provides information on the Soul Wars activity. The book may be right-clicked to activate in-game help features.
- Tome of Frost - Reward from the Dungeoneering skill.
- (Incomplete) Mysterious Book - Given to the player after completing the first clue of the Cryptic Clue Fest II. Though it is a book, it appears in the Toy box in POH.
Some books obtained during the quest "seem" to be missing in the bookcase:
- Journal (Filliman Tarlock) - Nature Spirit quest; obtained when searching the Nature Grotto, and is not available after the quest.
- Books obtained from Sithik Ints's bedroom drawers in the Yanille guest house north of the bank as part of the Zogre Flesh Eaters quest; no longer available after the quest.
- Book of Haricanto from Ghost Ahoy quest
- Book on costumes from The Giant Dwarf quest
- Silver book from Murder Mystery quest
- Translation manual from Ghosts Ahoy quest
- Haemalchemy from Darkness of Hallowvale quest
- Bolrie's Diary - The Path of Glouphrie quest; attached to the lectern in Yewnock's machine room in the Gnome Village Dungeon.
- The grim reaper's diary of 2007 Hallowe'en event - cannot be taken out of Grim Reaper's house during the event. After completing the event, players cannot re-enter the house.
- Varrock Census - Defender of Varrock quest; found on a pedestal in the Varrock Palace library; cannot be taken.
- The Phoenix from In Pyre Need quest is attached to the shrine in the Phoenix Lair.
Some books are unreadable and cannot be taken in the inventory. Some examples follow:
- From Wizards' Tower library, ground floor. Upon searching the bookcase: There's a large selection of books, the majority of which look fairly old. Some very strange names... You pick one at random:
- The Life & Times of a Thingummywut by Traiborn the Wizard
- Wind Strike for Beginners
- Life With a Wizard Husband ~ a Housewife's Story
- The Dark Arts of Magical Wands
- So You Think You're a Mage? Volume 28
- Fire, Earth and Water ~ What's it all About?
- How to become the Ultimate Wizard of the Universe
- 101 Ways to Impress Your Mates with Magic
- Interesting... - Only the titles of the books are mentioned, and the books have no image and cannot be read.
- There are 2 stacks of books outside Nickolaus' tent in the Hunter Woodland area north-west of Eagles' Peak. Upon examining: These books stacked very neatly.
Lores and historiesEdit
The Game Guide has additional books of "records of the histories of the great nations of RuneScape, the diaries of bold explorers, and fantastical tales spun in ages past."
- The Mage's book is widely regarded as the hardest book to obtain in the game, and is the most expensive reward available from the Rewards Guardian in the Mage Training Arena activity. It is tradeable from other players for about 3.5 million coins.
- God books are not tradeable. However, the four God pages needed to fill the Damaged book to make a God book are tradeable in the Grand Exchange. The second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth Damaged books cost 5,000 coins each, and can be bought from Jossik.
- Bolrie's Diary is attached to the lectern in the Gnome Village Dungeon and cannot be removed. Reading any of the chapters will open a cut scene, and unlock a music track.
- Recently, a glitch has been reported that a special move while reading a book and walking will result in the player walking inside normally inaccessible places such as inside the walls of Varrock main bank.
- List of books - an alphabetical list of books