Bolts are the ammunition used by crossbows. Most types of bolts are made using a combination of the Smithing and Fletching skills, the initial bolts being made with Smithing, and feathers being added with Fletching. Certain special bolts can only be obtained through other methods, such as monster drops or specialist shops.
Bolts may be used with crossbows that are lower level than themselves, but their damage will be capped at the crossbow's level. For example, if one were to use level 80 royal bolts with the level 50 rune crossbow, the bolts would perform as level 50 runite bolts.
See also: Crossbow and Bolt compatibility chart.
Different types of bolts can be stored in a bolt pouch to conserve space. Bolts sometimes survive shots, so you can pick up your fired bolts.
Gem-tipped bolts and enchanted bolts Edit
Smithable metal bolts can be enhanced by adding gem bolt tips. These have a higher Damage stat, and a correspondingly raised mimimum crossbow level needed to fire them with uncapped damage. They can be further improved by enchantment, which raises both the damage and level requirement even further.
Each type of enchanted bolt has a unique effect that triggers randomly with auto-attacks. These are described in the table below.
|Bolt type||Enchantment||Other notes|
|Opal bolts (e)||Lucky Lightning: extra damage|
|Jade bolts (e)||Earth's fury: chance of knocking the target to the ground||Agile targets may resist this|
|Pearl bolts (e)||Sea curse: chance of striking the target with a mighty bolt of water, dealing extra damage||It will have more damage and a higher accuracy on fiery monsters (e.g. TzHaar)|
|Topaz bolts (e)||Down to earth: chance of lowering the target's Magic level||Only works on another player|
|Sapphire bolts (e)||Clear mind: chance of lowering the target's Prayer points and giving part of them to the attacker||Only works on another player|
|Emerald bolts (e)||Magical poison: Chance of poisoning the opponent|
|Ruby bolts (e)||Blood forfeit: chance of removing 20% of the target's current life points||This effect costs 10% of the attacker's own current life points|
|Diamond bolts (e)||Armour piercing: the bolts will negate a sizeable portion of the target's Ranged defence, and the special attack raises the bolts' maximum hit|
|Dragon bolts (e)||Dragon's breath: chance of inflicting a Dragonfire hit against the target||Does not work if the target has protection against dragonfire, or are dragons themselves|
|Onyx bolts (e)||Life leech: Chance of doing extra damage and healing the attacker by 25% of the damage dealt||This does not work on the undead, as they have no "life" to leech|
Player-created bolts that use skills other than smithingEdit
- Silver bolts are much like other silver items, in that they are crafted using an appropriate mould and a furnace. Silver bolts are the only ranged weapons other than Blisterwood stakes that can be used effectively against vampyres.
- Kebbit bolts and Long kebbit bolts are fletched from Kebbit spikes and Long kebbit spikes respectively. They can only be used with the Hunter's crossbow.
- Bakriminel bolts are fletched by players from Bloodwood logs. The unfinished bolts must be assembled with the tips while standing close to the tree that the logs were cut from, or the logs and unfinished bolts will disintegrate. These very high level bolts are especially damaging against mages in PvP with specific targeted attacks.
- Ascension bolts are fletched from Ascension shards which can be obtained as drops in varying numbers from members of the Order of Ascension.
- Barbed bolts are made from Bronze bolts by attaching Barb bolt tips which can be purchased in the Ranging guild using Archery tickets.
- Broad-tipped bolts require 55 Slayer to use in addition to ranged requirements. They can be obtained from Slayer masters using Slayer reward points, or purchased unfinished from Slayer masters' shops using coins. The ability to complete these bolts using feathers must be obtained using Slayer reward points before they can be made useable.
- Bone bolts can be bought from Nardok's Bone Weapons shop, and are only usable with the Dorgeshuun crossbow and Zanik's crossbow.
Bolts obtained as dropsEdit
- Coral bolts are dropped by grotworms, and are usable only with the coral crossbow. Completion of the Song from the Depths quest is required.
- Royal bolts are dropped by the Queen Black Dragon and are usable only with the royal, chaotic, Armadyl and rune crossbows.
- Bolt racks are obtained from the Barrows and are usable only with Karil's crossbow, Karil's pistol crossbow and Karil's off-hand pistol crossbow.
The Mithril grapple is used in conjunction with a crossbow to grapple agility shortcuts and obstacles. They can break when used.
Bane bolts are available after completion of the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest. They are made by casting Tune Bane Ore on Bane ore, smelting the ore, smithing the bars on the tempered anvil in Kethsi, and fletching them with Feathers. The Tune Bane Ore spell enhances the weapon to be more effective against a specific creature, depending on the item it is tuned with. There are four types of bane bolts:
- Abyssalbane bolts, used against Abyssal demons
- Basiliskbane bolts, used against Basilisks
- Dragonbane bolts, used against Dragons
- Wallasalkibane bolts, used against Wallasalkis
The Hand cannon is also classed as bolts. However it fires at an average speed, but does more damage than a one-handed crossbow or dual-wielded crossbow. It can only fire Hand cannon shot, which can be obtained as a drop from the monsters at the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield. They can also be bought from the Grand Exchange.
|Metal bolts||Bronze (unf) • Blurite (unf) • Silver (unf) • Iron (unf) • Steel (unf) • Black • Mithril (unf) • Adamantite (unf) • Runite (unf)|
|Gem bolt tips||Opal • Jade • Pearl • Red topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Dragonstone • Onyx|
|Gem-tipped bolts||Opal • Jade • Pearl • Red topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Dragonstone • Onyx|
|Enchanted bolts||Opal (e) • Jade (e) • Pearl (e) • Red topaz (e) • Sapphire (e) • Emerald (e) • Ruby (e) • Diamond (e) • Dragonstone (e) • Onyx (e)|
|Bane bolts||Abyssalbane bolts (unf) • Basiliskbane bolts (unf) • Dragonbane bolts (unf) • Wallasalkibane bolts (unf)|
|Tars||Guam • Marrentill • Tarromin • Harralander|
|Other bolts||Bakriminel bolts • Barbed bolts • Bolt rack • Bone bolts • Broad-tipped bolts (unf) • Kebbit bolts • Long kebbit bolts • Mithril grapple (unf) (tip) • Coral bolts • Royal bolts • Ascension bolts • Fragment bolts • Hand cannon shot|
|Melee||Crush • Slash • Stab|
|Ranged||Arrows • Bolts • Thrown|
|Magic||Air • Water • Earth • Fire|
|Monster related||Silverlight and Darklight • Keris • Balmung • Gadderhammer • Salve amulet and Salve amulet (e) • Blisterwood weapons • Bane ammunition • Holy water • Sanfew serum|