- Not to be confused with Evil Bob.
|Release date||9 August 2004 (Update)|
|Race||Once human (Robert the Strong), now cat.|
|Quest NPC?|| A Tail of Two Cats |
Ritual of the Mahjarrat
|Location||Asgarnia, spawns at Burthorpe|
|Examine|| The Jagex cat.|
|Notable features|| The enigmatic wandering cat legend; Neite's boyfriend|
Bob the Jagex Cat is an enigmatic black cat and reincarnation of the ancient hero Robert the Strong. He travels the world of Gielinor with his girlfriend Neite, although he generally returns to his human Unferth's house every week. Like all cats, his speech can only be understood through the use of the Amulet of Catspeak.
As Bob likes to wander the world, he has one of the largest wander radius of all NPCs in the game, spawning in his human Unferth's house in Burthorpe every time there is a system update, but after which he is able to wander anywhere that is not restricted by physical boundries, being able to wander to far away places such as Edgeville and Port Sarim. It is possible to locate Bob by using the Amulet of Catspeak after it is enchanted in A Tail of Two Cats which, when operated, will open a menu that looks like a cat's face. By clicking on the whiskers, the dial will rotate. When the eyes light up and a cat meowing sound is heard, Bob can be found in the direction that the dial is pointing.
Bob is a quite sadistic and cruel cat, having a particular distaste for dogs, advising people to "preserve nature" by pickling them. He also claims to have banished dogs from the land, although he appears to be boasting, as dogs are still commonplace. Bob also claims to dislike monsters, even claiming to be a member of the Humans Against Monsters cult, despite being a cat.
He is also quite vain, believing that cats are the most superior creatures in the universe that rule over everything else. He claims to be the true ruler of Gielinor, claiming he only lets Grand High Mage Gower believe he is in charge.
Although humans believe that they keep cats as pets, Bob claims that things are the other way around, saying that Unferth is his pet human.
He also hints that he may be Zaros, although he seems to be joking.
|“||He is the most eligible bachelor around. When I hear about him, it makes my whiskers tingle.||”|
Bob is hinted to have had a relationship with Fluffs in the past, as Fluffs describes the father of her kittens as an adventurous cat who wanders the world. Bob himself confirms this, claiming to be the father of all cats owned by the player.
For some time, he had been pining for a cat known as Neite, a former human priestess of Amascut that had been turned into a cat thousands of years ago. While Neite did reciprocate Bob's feelings towards her, she prided in her knowledge of the family trees of cats. As Bob himself had no recorded ancestors, which worried her, and as nobody even knew where he came from she rejected him. After Bob was revealed to be the reincarnation of the human hero Robert the Strong by the Sphinx, Neite and Bob started a relationship together, and Neite began travelling around with Gielinor with Bob.
Bob's history is revealed in the Tail of Two Cats quest. In this quest, it is revealed that he once was the ancient warrior Robert the Strong. It is currently unknown how Robert the Strong turned into a cat. It is during the course of A Tail of Two Cats that we meet Bob's "girlfriend", Neite.
Bob the Cat? I have heard of that strange creature but have never been able to fathom him. It is no small achievement for you to be able to!
- — Juna[src]
A Tail of Two CatsEdit
During the quest, A Tail of Two Cats, players go on a journey to discover Bob's true lineage in order to impress another cat. During the adventure it is found out that Bob is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, Robert the Strong, who defeated a Dragonkin at their castle.
Ritual of the MahjarratEditAt one point in the quest, the player must get Bob's collar, which is used to both locate Kethsi and receive items left for the player by Robert the Strong. Among these are a note to Bob from Robert that seems to indicate Robert knew he would be reincarnated as a cat; and another note to you that seems to indicate you will some day meet Robert as a human. As of yet, these items have no use; possibly hinting at a future quest.
- Bob's conversation with player's cats is most likely a reference to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, where it is revealed that Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's son, and they have a similar conversation. Furthermore, when Bob says "I am your Father," you can hear the sound of Darth Vader's respirator.
- Bob is based on a now deceased cat that Mod Mark, RuneScape's lead designer, used to own. Bob is also the only piece of content in the game to have been created by Mark.[ ]
- When speaking to Bob during A Tail of Two Cats, he mentions the line "Love lies not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is the winged Cupid painted blind." This line is a play on the line "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." from the play A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare.
- On the notice board for the 2011 Halloween event, Bob has a message on it which is barely readable. This is ironic, as the information sign nearby said that there were "Absolutely no lost cat messages allowed!". Although just a guess, and probably not going to be confirmed, it appears to say something along these lines: "Lost! A human by the name of Unferth. If found, please return to Burthorpe."
- Bob was previously able to travel much farther, to places like Varrock, Yanille and the Wilderness. But due to various updates, he is now confined to Asgarnia and a small part of Misthalin.