- Not to be confused with Evil Bob.
|Release date||9 August 2004 (Update)|
|Race||Once human (Robert the Strong), now cat.|
|Quest NPC?|| A Tail of Two Cats |
Ritual of the Mahjarrat
|Location||Asgarnia, spawns at Burthorpe|
|Examine|| The Jagex cat.|
|Notable features|| The enigmatic wandering cat legend; Neite's boyfriend|
Bob the Jagex Cat roams throughout Gielinor sometimes followed by his girlfriend Neite. He may be found anywhere in Asgarnia and the surrounding area, but spawns at Unferth's house in Burthorpe whenever the game is updated. One Bob exists on each server, and each moves independently.
Bob has one of the largest wander radius out of all NPCs/monsters in the entire game - he can go virtually anywhere that is not blocked by physical boundaries. However, it is possible to locate him using the Amulet of Catspeak after it is enchanted in A Tail of Two Cats which, when operated, will open a menu that looks like a cat's face. Keep clicking on the whiskers to make the dial rotate. When the eyes light up and a cat meowing sound is heard, Bob can be found in the direction that the dial is pointing. Do this until you can see Bob.
Bob's history is revealed in the Tail of Two Cats quest. In this quest, it is revealed that he once was the ancient warrior Robert the Strong. It is currently unknown how Robert the Strong turned into a cat. It is during the course of A Tail of Two Cats that we meet Bob's "girlfriend", Neite.
Bob the Cat? I have heard of that strange creature but have never been able to fathom him. It is no small achievement for you to be able to!
- — Juna[src]
A Tail of Two CatsEdit
During the quest, A Tail of Two Cats, players go on a journey to discover Bob's true lineage in order to impress another cat. During the adventure it is found out that Bob is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, Robert the Strong, who defeated a Dragonkin at their castle.
Ritual of the MahjarratEditAt one point in the quest, the player must get Bob's collar, which is used to both locate Kethsi and receive items left for the player by Robert the Strong. Among these are a note to Bob from Robert that seems to indicate Robert knew he would be reincarnated as a cat; and another note to you that seems to indicate you will some day meet Robert as a human. As of yet, these items have no use; possibly hinting at a future quest.
- Bob's conversation with player's cats is most likely a reference to Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, where it is revealed that Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's son, and they have a similar conversation. Furthermore, when Bob says "I am your Father," you can hear the sound of Darth Vader's respirator.
- Bob is a common nickname for people named Robert, and Bob the Jagex Cat was once Robert the Strong.
- When speaking to Bob during A Tail of Two Cats, he mentions the line "Love lies not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is the winged Cupid painted blind." This line is a play on the line "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." from the play A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare.
- On the notice board for the 2011 Halloween event, Bob has a message on it which is barely readable. This is ironic, as the information sign nearby said that there were "Absolutely no lost cat messages allowed!". Although just a guess, and probably not going to be confirmed, it appears to say something along these lines: "Lost! A human by the name of Unferth. If found, please return to Burthorpe."