|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||714.4 (and 235.7 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones, Black dragonhide|
|Examine text||A fierce dragon with black scales!|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal, Morvran|
Black dragons are powerful monsters like all other adult dragons. An anti-dragon shield, a dragonfire shield, or an antifire potion or even both of them is highly recommended when fighting them as it can reduce the maximum hit of their breath from about 5000+ to around 500. They are level 100. They are not as popular as the weaker blue dragons and green dragons, but their chance of dropping the much coveted Draconic visage and their guaranteed drop of black dragonhide makes them worthwhile to kill. Players must kill a Black dragon during the Freeing Sir Amik Varze part of Recipe for Disaster. A Black dragon slayer task can also be completed by killing baby black dragons, the King Black Dragon or the Queen Black Dragon.
The hide and bones give each black dragon kill a guaranteed drop value of 6,656 coins, in addition to their possible drops of runes and rune equipment.
Black dragons can only be found in four locations across RuneScape:
- Taverley Dungeon - Requires dusty key or level 70/80 agility for use of shortcuts (There are only two).
- Lava Maze Dungeon in level 55 Wilderness (Two dragons).
- Evil Chicken's Lair after starting the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster (Four dragons). (A raw chicken is required to enter the Evil Chicken's lair, but there are two chickens right outside the entrance, and a rope to access the baby black dragon.)
- Daemonheim - Warped floors.
This location is usually not crowded, because there are only two dragon spawns, and it is also a considerable distance from a bank. However, if a player has yet to complete the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster, which is needed for the Evil Chicken's lair, this is the best location. It is highly recommended that players have at least 70 agility (65 if you eat a summer pie) for the shortcut to the blue dragons to save yourself a lot of walking. The other shortcut is the "Taverley Dungeon Spiked Blade Shortcut" which requires an Agility level of 80 (75 with a summer pie) to overcome the obstacle. Players under approximately 110 combat may want to bring an antipoison in case they get poisoned by a spider. Use the Taverley Lodestone for a quick banking method. If players want to hunt these dragons, it's highly advisable that you gain access to the Evil Chicken's Lair. If a player has been assigned black dragons as a task and have yet to unlock the Chicken's Lair, it's advisable that you kill baby black dragons to finish the task.
It is possible to safespot black dragons, despite their use of a magical attack in addition to their dragonfire; while standing next to the fire obelisk, their magical attacks cannot reach you (Their weakness, crossbows, cannot reach the dragons from the safe spot, but weapons with a farther range like Shieldbows and the Zaryte bow can).
The main problem with this location is not the risk of PKers (they are not often seen in such deep wilderness, especially if in an unpopulated world) but the remote location. Antipoison is recommended in case you are poisoned by spiders. You must get past the Lava Maze above, which makes it undesirable for PKers to kill players. The nearest banking spot would be the Mage Arena, but is still dangerous. You can use the Wilderness obelisks to teleport to lower level Wilderness, teleport out with a Home teleport spell.
Evil Chicken's LairEdit
This location is arguably the best and most recommended area to kill these monsters. The lair is accessible during and after the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster and requires a raw chicken to access. There are two chickens near the altar in case you forget to bring a raw chicken. This is the best location to hunt them, as the Zanaris bank is close by. After the Evolution of Combat update, there is no longer a safespot since dragons can use magical attacks. There are several spawns to satisfy several players. For players who use super-antifire potions are recommended to use it before entering the lair, as one of the dragons spawns close to the portal.
Note: If you haven't finished the subquest, you could still kill the black dragons as many times as you wish. However, the drops will be black dragonhide, dragon bones, and the dragon token. If the player picks up a dragon token and keep it, they would receive normal drops.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 20,495 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and armourEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Mithril hatchet 1 Uncommon 99 Mithril battleaxe 1 Uncommon 514 Mithril 2h sword 1 Uncommon 984 Adamant platebody 1 Rare 9,313 Rune longsword 1 Rare 18,331
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamant dart 16 Common 144 Adamant javelin 30 Common 1,830 Rune knife 2 Uncommon 154
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Fire rune 50 Common 2,950 Law rune 10–12, 20, 45 Common 4,240–19,080 Air rune 75 Uncommon 2,250 Blood rune 9, 15 Uncommon 4,410–7,350 Nature rune 67–79 Very rare 20,569–24,253 Death rune 5–50 Very rare 1,505–15,050
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 129–3,000 Common Not sold Perfect black dragon scale 1 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Chocolate cake 1 Uncommon 374 Adamant bar 1–2 Uncommon 2,562–5,124 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Anagogic ort 20, 40 Uncommon Not sold Black dragon egg 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,373,642
- ^ Only while on a Slayer challenge from Vannaka.
- ^ Only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Only with RDT drops.
- ^ Must be 99 Summoning.
- ^ Estimated at 1/13,099 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,282 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,561 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,027 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,572 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 34,719 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 34,657 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,477 Dragonstone 1 Rare 9,933 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,483 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,170 Rune javelin 5 Rare 910 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,220 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,468 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,446 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,368 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,554,000 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,166 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,864 Shield left half 1 Very rare 63,182 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 58,770 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,273,200 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 96,512 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,552 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 62,475–87,465 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 62,850–87,990 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 713 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 463 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 17,000–25,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 18,420–24,560 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,200 Law rune 45 Rare 19,080 Death rune 50 Rare 15,050 Blood rune 50 Rare 24,500 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 59,625–119,250 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 281,000 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 87,300–104,760 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 133,650–170,100 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 195,900–326,500 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 9,400 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,108,200 Rune bar 1 Common 14,132 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 706,600 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 119,385–153,495 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 108,240–126,280 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 91,616–194,684 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,480 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 21,263 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,547 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 522,369–1,218,861 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,349,520 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 160,200–195,800 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- In RuneScape Classic black dragons were the strongest monsters in RuneScape until the release of the King Black Dragon.
- They are the only chromatic dragon to drop the draconic visage.
- Like all other dragons in RuneScape, besides the King Black Dragon, the black dragons received a graphical update on July 5, 2010.
- Black dragons are the rarest of the chromatic dragons: there are 4 in the Evil Chicken's lair, 2 in the Wilderness, and 2 in Taverley dungeon.
- They were, for a long time, regarded as the weakest monsters in the game that drop the draconic visage, due to the difficulty in killing Iron dragons and Skeletal Wyverns. Although Frost dragons are easier to kill, they require 85 Dungeoneering and a reasonably higher combat level to fight than Black dragons. Frost dragons use all three types of combat and dragonfire, as opposed to the black dragon's regular attack and dragonfire, therefore making them quite an easy target for Draconic visages.
- For a period of time black dragon had a higher combat level than the King Black Dragon
- Prior to 17 June 2013, these monsters were weak to arrows. The update changed their weakness (along with those of other Chromatic dragons) to bolts, enabling players to exploit their weakness without need for super antifire potions or Protect from Magic.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Jungle demon||Strongest quest monster in RuneScape (March 15, 2006 - May 15, 2007)||The Inadequacy|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Elvarg||Strongest monster in RuneScape||King Black Dragon|