- This article has a strategy guide here.
For black dragons found in Daemonheim, see Black dragon (Daemonheim).
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||751 (and 247.8 experience)|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones, Black dragonhide|
|Examine text||A fierce dragon with black scales!|
Black dragons are powerful monsters, and, like all other adult dragons, an anti-dragon shield, a dragonfire shield, or an antifire potion or even both of them is highly recommended when fighting them as it can reduce the maximum hit of their breath from about 5000+ to around 500. They are level 144. They are not as popular as the weaker blue dragons and green dragons, but their chance of dropping the much coveted Draconic visage and the cost of black dragonhide makes them worthwhile to kill. Players must kill a Black dragon during the Freeing Sir Amik Varze part of Recipe for Disaster. A black dragon slayer task can also be completed by killing baby black dragons, the King Black Dragon or the Queen Black Dragon.
Killing Black Dragons may be profitable, as they drop various runes and rune equipment. Each kill is also profitable as their Black dragonhide is worth much more than their bones, as a result of very few players killing Black dragons outside of Slayer. Every kill has a guaranteed drop value of at least 7,663 coins.
Black dragons can only be found in four locations across RuneScape:
- Taverley Dungeon - Requires dusty key or level 70/80 agility for use of shortcuts (Only 2 are there).
- Lava Maze Dungeon in level 42-43 Wilderness.
- Evil Chicken's Lair after starting the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster. (A raw chicken is required to enter the Evil Chicken's lair, but there are two chickens right outside the entrance, and a rope to access the baby black dragon.)
- Daemonheim - Warped floors.
This location is usually not crowded, because there are only two dragon spawns, and it is also a considerable distance from a bank. However, if a player has yet to complete the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster, which is needed for the Evil Chicken's lair, this is the best location. It is highly recommended that players have at least 70 agility (65 if you eat a summer pie) for the shortcut to the blue dragons to save yourself a lot of walking. The other shortcut is the "Taverley Dungeon Spiked Blade Shortcut" which requires an Agility level of 80 (75 with a summer pie) to overcome the obstacle. Players under 181 combat may want to bring an antipoison in case they get poisoned by a spider. Use the Taverley Lodestone for a quick banking method. If players want to hunt these dragons, its highly advisable that you gain access to the Evil Chicken's Lair. If a player has been assigned black dragons as a task and have yet to unlock the chicken's lair, its advisable that you kill baby black dragons to finish the task.
It is possible to safespot black dragons, despite their use of a magical attack in addition to their dragonfire; while standing next to the fire obelisk, their magical attacks cannot reach you.
The main problem with this location is not pkers (they are rare in such deep wilderness, especially if in an unpopulated world) but the remote location. Antipoison is recommended in case you are poisoned by spiders. You must get past the Lava Maze above, which makes it undesirable for PKers to kill players. The nearest banking spot would be the Mage Arena, but is still dangerous. You can use the Wilderness obelisks to teleport into the level 18 or 13 one to teleport out with a Home teleport spell.
Evil Chicken's LairEdit
This location is arguably the best and most recommended area to kill these monsters. The lair is accessible during and after the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster and requires a raw chicken to access. There are two chickens near the altar in case you forget to bring a raw chicken. This is the best location to hunt them, as the Zanaris bank is close by.After the evolution, there is no longer a safespot since dragons can use magical attacks.There are several spawns to satisfy several players. For players who use super-antifire potions are recommended to use it before entering the lair, as one of the dragons spawns close to the portal.
Note: If you haven't finished the subquest, you could still kill the black dragons as many times as you wish. However, the drops will be black dragonhide, dragon bones, and the dragon token. If the player pick up a dragon token and keep it, they would receive normal drops.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 9,756 kills.
3 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and armourEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Mithril hatchet 1 Uncommon 175 Black hatchet 1 Uncommon 197 Mithril battleaxe 1 Uncommon 765 Mithril 2h sword 1 Uncommon 1,237 Adamant platebody 1 Uncommon 9,662 Rune longsword 1 Rare 18,902 Rune sq shield 1 Rare 22,727 Rune battleaxe 1 Very rare 24,537 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant dart 16 Common 192 Adamant javelin 30 Common 1,980 Rune knife 2 Uncommon 290 Rune dart 10 Uncommon 990
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Air rune 75 Uncommon 975 Blood rune 15 Uncommon 4,170 Death rune 5–50 Uncommon 835–8,350 Fire rune 50 Uncommon 600 Law rune 10–12, 45 Uncommon 1,900–8,550 Nature rune 67–79 Uncommon 7,772–9,164 Chaos rune 90 Uncommon 3,690
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 129–3,000 Common Not sold Perfect black dragon scale 1 Common Not sold Runite limbs 1 Uncommon 9,290 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Chocolate cake 1 Uncommon 214 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Anagogic ort 20, 40 Uncommon Not sold Black dragon egg 1 Uncommon Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,268,652
- ^ Only while on a Slayer challenge from Vannaka.
- ^ Only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Only with RDT drops.
- ^ Must be 99 Summoning.
- ^ Estimated at 1/13,099 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,107 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,903 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,112 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,034 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 11,742 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,052 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,585 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,976 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,215 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,320 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,988 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 848,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,727 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,404 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,501 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,297,050 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 91,765 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,311 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,025–26,635 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 47,950–67,130 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 177 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 193 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 34,000–1,020,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,452–8,932 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,480 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 167 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,900 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,250–290 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 256,500–513,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 67,350–224,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,650–1,144,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,824,000–19,768,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,069–1,960,350 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,900 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 88,175–881,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 106,230–424,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 94,140–941,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,859 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 164,810–988,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,043,290 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,127 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 50,268–1,558,308 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 53,600–10,720,000
- In RuneScape Classic black dragons were the strongest monsters in RuneScape until the release of the King Black Dragon.
- They are the only chromatic dragon to drop the draconic visage.
- Like all other dragons in RuneScape, besides the King Black Dragon, the black dragons received a graphical update on July 5, 2010.
- Black dragons are the rarest of the chromatic dragons: there are 4 in the Evil Chicken's lair, 2 in the Wilderness, and 2 in Taverley dungeon.
- They were, for a long time, regarded as the weakest monsters in the game that drop the draconic visage, due to the difficulty in killing Iron dragons and Skeletal Wyverns. Although Frost dragons are easier to kill, they require 85 Dungeoneering and a reasonably higher combat level to fight than Black dragons. Frost dragons use all three types of combat and dragonfire, as opposed to the black dragon's regular attack and dragonfire, therefore making them quite an easy target for Draconic visages.
- Black dragons have a higher combat level than the King Black Dragon despite the latter being considered harder to kill.
- Prior to 17 June 2013, these monsters were weak to arrows. The update changed their weakness (along with those of other Chromatic dragons) to bolts.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Jungle demon||Strongest quest monster in RuneScape (March 15, 2006 - May 15, 2007)||The Inadequacy|
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Elvarg||Strongest monster in RuneScape||King Black Dragon|
Dragons and dragon-like races