|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona, Vannaka|
|Examine text||The eyes of evil.|
A Basilisk is a Slayer monster that requires a Slayer level of 40 to kill. Like Cockatrices, players must equip a mirror shield when fighting these monsters. Players without 20 defence would not be assigned these as 20 defence is required to wield the shield.
Without the shield the player's stats are dangerously reduced by the Basilisk's stare. In addition to stats being drained, they will hit fairly often. The only way they hit constantly is if you are not wearing a mirror shield. Basilisks attack with melee, so wearing good melee armour will ensure that the player takes minimal damage. If set as a slayer assignment, besides the good melee armour, players are recommended strength boosts for quicker kills. Basilisks have a poor crush defence, and have a high slash defence. At lower levels it is recommended that the player does not use slash style and uses instead a weapon with crush style, such as a Dragon mace or a Dragon battleaxe. If the player's Attack level is high enough, however, the abyssal whip works very well on them, but is still not as effective as a crush weapon. Shortly after the release of Summoning, the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon was almost always inundated with people seeking charms from the Basilisks. This area is not nearly as crowded these days, but it can still get quite busy at peak times. It should be noted that the fastest way to complete a Basilisk slayer task is to kill them in the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon with a Dwarf Multicannon.
Players with level 70 defence or above will not get hit very often, so less food is recommended to make room for drops. The spell Bones to peaches is highly recommended for lower levels or mage "pures". The Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon has many safe spots created by rocks in the floor. It is also possible to safe spot them from the south in the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon if you hug the eastern wall near the south entrance. (NOTE: You still need a mirror shield even if you kill Basilisks from a safe spot.) A player can obtain a baby basilisk as a pet, by taking a rare Basilisk head (stuffed or unstuffed) to Nomad or Zimberfizz (after Nomad's Requiem) in the Soul Wars lobby. Turning the head into the pet costs 40 zeal points.
- Fremennik Slayer Dungeon (Single-combat area; Players can not use Dwarf Multicannon in this dungeon.)
- Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon, after defeating the Basilisk boss (Multi-combat area; Players can use Dwarf Multicannon in this dungeon.)
Safe spots in the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bones 1 Always 90
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water rune 75, 150, 175 Common 975–2,275 Nature rune 15, 30, 37 Uncommon 1,680–4,144 Chaos rune 12 Uncommon 492 Law rune 3 Uncommon 537 Blood rune 50 Rare 8,300
Weapons and armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Steel battleaxe 1 Common 266 Mithril spear 1 Uncommon 373 Mithril hatchet 1 Uncommon 195 Mithril kiteshield 1 Uncommon 964 Rune dagger 1 Uncommon 4,357 Adamant full helm 1 Uncommon 1,826 Mystic hat (light) 1 Rare 8,706 Mystic boots (light) 1 Very rare 6,131
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Uncommon 516 Grimy marrentill 1 Uncommon 43 Grimy tarromin 1 Uncommon 225 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 612 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 2,169 Grimy irit 1 Rare 1,772 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 7,733 Grimy avantoe 1 Rare 4,171 Grimy cadantine 1 Rare 2,538 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,557 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 8,069
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 78,263 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 11–495 Common Not sold Basilisk bone 1 Common Not sold Earth talisman 1 Uncommon 785 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 251 Adamantite ore 1 Uncommon 1,459 Lobster 1 Rare 88 Basilisk head 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (medium) 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Spin Ticket 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- The name "Basilisk" comes from the Greek word "basilískos", which means "Little crown".
- The fact that a player needs a Mirror shield to fight Basilisks derives from the European legend of Basilisks, which had the power to cause death with just a single glance and were reputed to cause an unwanted death to themselves if they saw their reflection.
- When attacking, there is a glitch in which all of the Basilisk's right rear feet pivoted into the ground unrealistically. It has not been fixed.
- Basilisks are occasionally aggressive towards the player. It is unknown if this is a glitch.
- Basilisks appear to have the same moving and dying animation as the cockroaches in the Stronghold of Player Safety.