Barrows - Rise of the Six is the sequel to the standard Barrows minigame, featuring a team of four players fighting against all six of the Barrows Brothers: Ahrim, Dharok, Guthan, Torag, Verac and Karil. All six brothers, however, have been greatly enhanced by Sliske's experiments in the Shadow Realm, each increasing from level 150 and 12,000 life points to level 650 and 50,000 life points. Players split into two groups, with each group taking on three brothers, and to defeat them, all 6 brothers must be defeated at once. Together, they are widely considered to be one of the toughest boss fights in the game, either on par with or harder than Vorago.
The entrance to the minigame can be found in a well in the town next to Barrows. The quickest way to get there is using Drakan's medallion, which is unlocked during the Branches of Darkmeyer quest. Alternatively, you may travel through The Hollows and use the swamp boat in much the same fashion as you would to travel to the standard Barrows minigame.
Starting the fightEdit
To enter the well, you or one of your teammates will need a Barrows totem, which can be obtained as a common reward from the original Barrows activity. The totem can also be purchased on the Grand Exchange.
Like with the Kalphite King, instances must be created in order to start a fight, and a number code can be given to the instance so that only players you choose are allowed to enter. Once inside, after trekking through a randomly generated corridor, containing from one to four bridges (Zero bridges is really rare, but happens.) and a varied lengthy path, you will find four pressure plates. Each member of the team must stand on a plate in order to be granted access to the arena, splitting them into two groups.
Once all players are inside the arena, one of them must click to disrupt the portal. A mask of Sliske will ask them if they are ready to fight. Once they accept, the brothers spawn on both sides. The side each brother goes to changes daily at 00:00 GMT. Dying in the fight will send your grave to the graveyard section of the dungeon.
Rise of the Six, much like the original Barrows, has many unique and powerful rewards, including malevolent energy - which can be used to smith malevolent armour and create Bobblehead pets - and some special level 90 kiteshields. The ring of wealth does not affect the loot from the chest. Just like the regular chest, if your inventory is full your rewards will be on the ground.
Once all players loot their items, they must escape from the crypts by foot, using the same randomly generated route they came in with. Several obstacles will have to be traversed this time. As soon as one person steps out from the first barrier area (short path), or into the split path (without the hole) a countdown of 30 seconds will start, and players must be careful of the collapsing ceilings and gas which will deal damage to the players.
Bridges have two options; a vine or stone pillar (vine if water is flowing, pillar if chasm), which one person can use. There is also a ledge on every bridge, anyone can use it but it is slightly longer and only one person can use it at a time. As the timer reaches 0, the screen tips and when it reaches 0, the whole dungeon explodes, dealing massive (up to 2600) damage to players who have not left yet.
Note that while you can teleport out, it will cause any unstable malevolent energy to disappear. Leaving through any other methods, such as death, will cause the same effect.
- ^ Malevolent energy is always unstable when received. The player must exit the Shadow Barrow dungeon without teleporting in order to change it into the stable form.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 77 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
The kiteshields, if received, will be given along with the original reward.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune platebody 6–10 (noted) Common 229,362–382,270 Malevolent kiteshield 1 Rare 6,640,139 Merciless kiteshield 1 Rare 5,895,861 Vengeful kiteshield 1 Rare 4,145,726
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Barrows amulet 3–10 Common 8,307–27,690 Magic logs 190–210 (noted) Common 188,290–208,110 Raw rocktail 120–150 (noted) Common 236,160–295,200 Black dragonhide 60–80 (noted) Common 241,560–322,080 Onyx bolts (e) 50–65 Common 428,250–556,725 Battlestaff 35–45 (noted) Common 274,260–352,620 Runite ore 30–34 (noted) Common 338,130–383,214 Magic seed 2–4 Common 322,738–645,476 Dwarf weed seed 6–10 Common 181,932–303,220 Lantadyme seed 6–10 Common 166,650–277,750
- Upon release, a graveyard system was implemented, but caused disconnections to players who entered at first. Within a few minutes, a patch was implemented that put the graves right outside the original Barrows entrance. After a hidden update, the system was fixed and graves now appear inside the graveyard rather than outside.
- If a bucket is used on the entrance well, Ahrim the Blighted will appear and fill it with water. He will even have the attack option, although selecting it will do nothing.
- The fight is the third non-quest fight to make use of a cutscene after victory, the first being Bork and Vorago.
- When looting the chest for the first time, the mask of Sliske will appear and congratulate the player, telling them the rewards are theirs if they survive. When looting the chest afterwards the mask does not appear any more.
- Despite being a much harder version of Barrows, the chest does not offer triskelion fragments, even though the original chest contains them. This may be an oversight by Jagex.
- There are a few glitches that have not been fixed yet:
- If a Brother is killed while doing an action, it is possible once they finish it, they will return to the side they were on and begin to attack the player. If Karil is killed while this happens, he will rush up to the player and punch them with a max hit of 1. If the others are killed they will use their respective attacks.
- Sometimes, when a Barrows brother is rejuvenating in the Shadow Realm, if an aggressive familiar was on it (e.g War tortoise), if it manages to land a hit the brother will shake, although this has no harmful effect.
- It is possible, although unlikely, for rocks to block the path, making the player(s) unable to escape.
- When Ahrim and Karil perform their "Energy Blast" attack, they are immune to all damage, while if the other Brothers spin, they take damage if they are successfully hit.
- A few patch notes changed the following:
- To prevent players from leeching kills and getting massive rewards, if a player does not get involved in the fight (stays in the gap between the two barriers), after all the brothers have been killed they will be ineligable for rewards from the chest.
- Karil's bomb radius has increased slightly.
- If multiple Brothers occupy the same tile, attackable brothers will be above defeated ones.
- There is a glitch where players may encounter no bridges at all, but the map layout will be incorrect; with two "branches"; one that leads to the rope and one to a dead end.