Barendir is a cave network south of Keldagrim. It can be accessed via an entrance in the southeastern corner of the Keldagrim south-west mine after players reach a certain point in the King of the Dwarves quest, in which it features significantly. Several years ago, it was the site of the Battle of Barendir. The whole area is lit by Sparkly crystals. There is a large magma vent located under Barendir, which supplies the Lava Flow Mine, the most important source of power for Keldagrim. The Red Axe had armies stationed deep inside Barendir until their defeat at the hand of trolls, and the connection to the mine is likely how a Red Axe suicide dwarf managed to gain entrance to the mine.
During King of the Dwarves, players must go to the Barendir caves in order to confront Colonel Grimsson. A battle will ensue, and once Grimsson is defeated he will retreat farther into the caves. Players must then convince Pretty Flower, a troll general, to aid them from the troll settlement that is also located in the caverns.
During Birthright of the Dwarves, Veldaban discovers that the Red Axe's secret base is hidden behind the end of the Barendir caverns. He therefore forms an army who are going to assault that base and wipe out the Red Axe once and for all.
- Pretty Flower
- Sparkly Crystal
- Big Rock
- My Arm
- Black Guard (only during Birthright of the Dwarves)
- Black Guard quartermaster (only during Birthright of the Dwarves)
- King Veldaban (only during Birthright of the Dwarves)
- Nulodian (only during Birthright of the Dwarves)
- Colonel Grimsson (only during King of the Dwarves)
- Chaos Dwarf army (cannot be fought and only during King of the Dwarves)
- Chaos Giants (after Birthright of the Dwarves)