Barbarian Firemaking is a part of the Barbarian Training taught to players by Otto Godblessed. Players must have a Firemaking level of at least 35 in order to burn the oak log that is required for the training. There are two types of activities that fall under Barbarian Firemaking: lighting fires with a bow and lighting pyre ships.
As mentioned above, the player starts out by talking to Otto and by having the required Firemaking level. Next the player must bring a bow and oak logs. To make a bow fire, use the bow in your inventory on the oak logs. If you use logs higher levelled than oak logs, you will require a higher Firemaking level. There are no inherent advantages to using a bow instead of a tinderbox, since your tinderbox will be on your tool belt.
|21||Achey tree logs||40|
|62||Arctic pine logs||125|
The following bows are incompatible with Barbarian Firemaking:
- (Attuned) Crystal bow
- Dark bow
- Zaryte bow
- Noxious longbow
- Seren godbow
- Sacred clay bow
- Boogie bow
- (Kayle's) Chargebow
- All bows from Treasure Hunter promotions, such as the White stag bow and Starfire/Starfury bow
Talk to Otto after you completed a Bow fire. Otto will now explain the art of making a Pyre ship. You need to enter the dungeon below the lake and fight the monsters within to obtain chewed bones or mangled bones to be used in constructing a pyre ship.
When rummaging through barbarian skeletons found on the ground or killing the various barbarians within the cavern, you may find mangled bones. The only way to get chewed bones however, is to kill Mithril dragons. Both chewed and mangled bones, in conjunction with any type of log, can be used on the burnt spaces (pyre sites), found scattered around the lake near Otto's house, to make a pyre ship. Burning a pyre ship will grant the player an experience bonus of up to 300%, depending on the logs used, the next time they bury bones or scatter ashes.
The spirits released from chewed bones drop some items; this includes a slim chance for a dragon full helm. Spirits released from the mangled bones, are aggressive level 106 Ferocious barbarian spirits. Please note that if you use mangled bones on a pyre ship, you will be unable to make another pyre ship until you kill the spirit. If you attempt to make another one while a barbarian spirit is around, the sacrifice will be declined.
Completing the Barbarian skills book requires burning chewed bones. Otherwise, the final paragraph of the section on Crafting pyre ships will be missing, and page 21 of the book will be blank even if the rest of the training has been completed. You will also need to speak to Otto again after burning the bones.
It is not possible to use the Assist system to burn pyre ships you don't have the levels for.
| Bones with|
|11||Achey tree logs||10||40||1|
|52||Arctic pine logs||31.2||125||3|
- If you attempt to light a fire using a crystal bow, a message will appear saying: "The bow resists all attempts to light the fire. It seems that the sentient tools of the elves don't approve of you burning down forests."
- If you attempt using a dark bow, a message will appear saying: "The innate darkness of the bow sucks all the heat from your firemaking attempt. You realise that this type of bow is useless for firelighting."
- If you attempt to use an ogre bow, a message will appear saying: "This bow is vast, clumsy, and most of a tree. You realise that this type of bow is useless for firelighting."
- Attempting to use any other bow that cannot be used for Barbarian Firemaking will simply result in the message: "Nothing interesting happens."
- If you're in a bank and you use a log on an unstrung bow, the game will say "You can't light a fire here", but if you leave the bank and try it again, it'll say "Nothing interesting happens." This also works when using a bowstring on an already strung bow.