A Ban is a punishment that may be given for repeated or serious violation of the Rules of RuneScape. Bans are issued only by Jagex Moderators; a division of Jagex known as Customer Support handles all bans and blocks.
The status of an account can be checked via the Account Status system. An account with no offences is in the green zone and changes through orange and red as offences accumulate. Bans may be temporary (for example for 24 hours) or permanent. Banned players are unable to log into the game at all. Players who are banned are also not allowed to vote in website polls or access the official RuneScape Forums.
Game bans restrict players from access to their accounts, usually for violating one of the Rules of RuneScape. If the player appeals their ban, it may be accepted, either restoring the account completely or with a permanent mute. A ban can also get quashed by a Jagex Moderator. Permanently banned or muted players may be offered a "last chance appeal".
Players can also be permanently banned from the RuneScape Forums; this can happen for flaming, spamming, advertising websites, or breaking any other rules in the Forums. Permanent Forum bans may affect the in-game status of the account.
If a player is muted or banned from the game, they are also automatically banned from the Forums. If a player is muted or banned from the Forums, they are not necessarily banned from the game.
Instant permanent bansEdit
- Some forms of bug abuse will cause a player to be permanently banned.
- Macroing will cause an instant permanent ban in most cases. Sometimes, however, it can result in a temporary between 24 hours - 2 weeks, along with a possible rollback of stats and/or wealth.
- Real-world trading can result in a permanent ban.
- Account hijacking may cause an instant ban (lock) on the account in order to protect it.
- Some forms of website advertising, related to real-world trading, can result in a permanent ban as well.
- In cases where it is discovered that a player is underage, this will result in an instant permanent ban.
In RuneScape Classic, there was an area called The Black Hole (in the Dwarven Mine) where banned players were sent for an indefinite amount of time. However, this was later removed. Players could exit The Black Hole by using a Disk of returning.