|Release date||15 December 2009 (Update)|
|Quest item?||Blood Runs Deep|
|High Alch||135,000 coins|
|Low Alch||90,000 coins|
|Destroy||If you destroy Balmung, perhaps Chieftain Brundt or Queen Sigrid can help you.|
|On death||Is converted to 200k coins when under gravestone.|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||A raiding axe from an island kingdom.|
Balmung is a two-handed weapon obtained from Queen Sigrid during the quest Blood Runs Deep. Level 75 Attack and Strength and level 65 Slayer are necessary to wield the weapon as these are required to start the quest. Balmung is obtained relatively early in Blood Runs Deep and does not require any further completion of the quest to use it.
Balmung deals extra damage against Dagannoths; it can hit up to 175% of one's normal maximum hit with an equal-strength weapon. Thus, it is considered an excellent choice when fighting the Dagannoth Kings.
If a player destroys Balmung after Blood Runs Deep, they can retrieve it from Queen Sigrid in the castle on Miscellania. During the quest, it can be retrieved from Brundt the Chieftain. He or she tells the player that the next time Balmung is lost, they will have to pay 225,000 coins to get it back.
A player wielding balmung
|[view] • [talk]|
- A player can use High Alchemy on the weapon for a profit of 135,000 coins, or die while holding it in order to obtain 200,000 coins at the gravestone, and then go get another one for free. This can only be done once.
- In Norse mythology, Balmung (or Gram) was the magical sword of the hero Sigurd or Siegfried as known in Germany.
- The strength skill guide explicitly states that Balmung is for members only, even though this is not stated for the other weapons in the same category, which are also members only.
- Wallasalkis are affected by the Balmung effect as if they were Dagannoth, but interestingly don't count toward a Dagannoth slayer task.
- The max hit for Balmung under perfect conditions, while in max gear/potions/prayers, is 1164.
- The knock-out aura does work with the Balmung.
- This weapon does not have the same effect on the Spirit dagannoth summoning familiar.
- During Blood Runs Deep, Queen Sigrid states that Balmung is made of a 'legendary ore' sharpened on Dagganoth hides. This is probably the bane ore that could be found by fremminiks travelling far west to discover a way to smite the dagganoths. And the fact that Queen Sigrid states that the metal was sharpened on the hides meant that they were used as a medium to tune the metal.
- The Balmung and Dharok's Greataxe are held the same way.
|Yak hide armour|