|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Reach out with magical force and choke the life from your target over 3.6 seconds, dealing up to 188% damage every 1.2 seconds, initially stunning the target for 3.6 seconds. Combo attack.|
Click animation for full size
Asphyxiate is a threshold ability associated with the Magic skill. It requires only level 2 Magic. When activated, the user telekinetically strangles the target, attacking 4 times with each hit dealing 37.6-188% ability damage. The ability deals one hit every 1.2 seconds and the entire channel last for 4.2 seconds. Each successful hit momentarily stuns the target.
Asphyxiate is noteworthy for being one of the most powerful abilities in the game, particularly for a threshold ability. As each individual attack has a chance of dealing up to a high amount of damage (up to about 4k), a high-levelled player could potentially deal over 10000 damage in one use of Asphyxiate, particularly if wielding a staff or dual wielding.
Comparison to Rapid Fire and AssaultEdit
Rapid Fire and Destroy are the ranged and melee counterparts of Asphyxiate, respectively.
- 20 seconds cooldown compared to assault's 30 seconds
- Available for F2P players
- Similar total damage
- Similar length
- As one of the most powerful magic abilities, use it wisely. Tend to use this ability when your target's Freedom is not ready.
- Use Anticipation before using this ability to avoid getting stunned while hitting your target
- Use Wild Magic right after Asphyxiate ends to finish off your opponent.
- If combined with Metamorphosis or Sunshine, the damage output will be higher than most other abilities.
- Stunning your target can counter this ability.
- Reflect could both halve your damage received and damage your opponent, leaving them in a dangerous state.
- It is possible to use Freedom then run outside the range of your opponent, canceling the remaining duration of the ability.
- The Asphyxiate ability could be a reference to the Force Choke power from the Star Wars universe, popularized in the films by Darth Vader.
- Destroy is the melee equivalent of this ability, however Destroy requires the player to dual wield, whereas Asphyxiate does not.
- Asphyxiate was known as Choke in Jagex's test servers for the Evolution of Combat.