|Release date||1 June 2011 (Update)|
|Location||Varies; see below|
|Examine|| A skilled sorceress and seer.|
|Notable features||A powerful mage|
Ariane is one of the seven Signature Heroes first announced in the Development Diary "Who are the Signature Heroes?" Not much is yet known about Ariane, though it is known that she will appear in a future quest. She makes her first appearance, along with two other Signature Heroes, Sir Owen and Ozan (the master smith Linza is also mentioned), in the Fremennik Saga Three's Company. Ariane appears to be a powerful magic user. She also seems to be the Mage shown in the login screen.
Ariane is a free-spirit intellect, she does not follow the superstitions of most Wizards of not exploring outside their comfort zone of a spellbook. She believes that knowledge should be explored and used to make the world a better place. She is determined to discover all the magical secrets of Gielinor, and to use them to make Gielinor a better place. 
Ariane is capable of precognition, having been raised in Seers' Village. She has at least dabbled in nearly every type of magic on Gielinor.
In the Fremennik Saga Three's Company, she is shown to have at least level 35 Magic and level 19 Summoning. She is also shown to have a Constitution level of 30. In addition, she has at least level 50 Runecrafting.
When the player encounters Ariane in the Taverly Slayer Dungeon, the pair end up defeating the troll shaman, Magic Stick . After the fight she teleports away using a Ancient Magics teleport, indicating she has completed Desert Treasure and has at least 54 Magic.
She does not have high agility or strength levels, and has lower than level 50 Mining.
RuneScape cinematic trailer
Ariane plays a part in the RuneScape cinementic trailer that could be watched here.
The trailer opens in the druidic city of Taverley, where Sir Owen and Ariane are talking on a balcony while Ozan wanders past a couple of girls in the street below.
Suddenly, a gigantic troll appears and wrecks havoc before charging straight at Ozan, who dodges the first swing of the troll's enormous axe, but the scene changes to an Ozan's flashback when he couldn't evade the second strike.
The Raptor saves Ozan by slamming into the troll's axe shield-first. As the troll attempts to grab him, Sir Owen leaps off the balcony railing and smashes its right arm to little effect, and is shoved aside into a pillar. Ariane seizes her chance and hit it with a continuous stream of ice, freezing it solid. Ozan then shoots an arrow into the creature's chest, shattering it into blocks of frozen troll.
After the RuneScape icon appears and disappears, three more trolls are seen charging.
Ariane can be found in many places throughout RuneScape.
RoamingAriane will often teleport in and out of various locations. Places she has been seen roaming include:
- At the east entrance to the Grand Exchange.
- On Ice Mountain.
- Near the bank on Lunar Isle.
- Near some ruins south of Draynor Village.
- Near the crossroads just north of Falador.
- In the Jaldraocht Pyramid where the player switches between normal spellbook and Ancient Magicks.
- In Oldak's laboratory in Dorgesh-Kaan.
- In the Runecrafting Guild.
- Speaking to Gypsy Aris in her tent.
- In the Wizards' Tower.
Places that the player can find Ariane at any time include:
- In the Champions' Guild with Xenia, Ozan, and Sir Owen.
- On the balcony of the Heroes' Guild with Xenia, Ozan, Sir Owen, and Linza.
- On the first floor of the Legends' Guild with all the rest of the Signature Heroes.
Some places Ariane will appear only once, or until the player speaks to her for the first time. These places include:
- Arguing with a wizard outside the Wizards' Tower.
- Entering Daemonheim with Ozan and Sir Owen.
- North of Falador near the mercenaries
Quest and Miniquest Appearances
The first quest or miniquest to feature Ariane is in the Fremennik Saga Three's Company, where she is a Playable character. She also plays a role in the Burthorpe tutorial, where she explains what Gelatinous abominations are and helps you defeat the Troll shaman Magic Stick.
- After Swept Away, she comments about the magic goulash that the player made.
- After The Golem, she expresses her wish to have seen Uzer at its height and learn the ancient knowledge of golem creation.
- After Desert Treasure, she commends the player for having discovered Ancient Magicks but laments the narrow-mindedness of the modern magical community and their refusal to accept them.
- After The Temple at Senntisten, she mentions the player's discovery of Zaros and the apparent difficulty of finding any information regarding the god.
- After The Blood Pact, she comments that she intends to venture into the Lumbridge Catacombs despite the Wizards' Tower forbidding its wizards from venturing into due to Dragith Nurn's ties with Necromancy.
- After Heroes' Quest, she mentions that she rather that the player be tasked a heroic act rather than gathering arbitrary items.
- After Legends' Quest, she comments about the map of Kharazi Jungle that the player created.
- After While Guthix Sleeps, she laments about not being able to partake in the assault on the fortress due to other tasks assigned by the Crux Eqal. She further comments that she hoped for the Stone of Jas to be in human hands so that its powers could be used for the betterment of all.
- After Tower of Life, she mentions that despite the moral controversies of such creation of life, the benefits would outweigh them.
- After The Chosen Commander, she predicts the possibility of the player's action causing a new God Wars, with the Gods going against mortals. Due to the said actions, she foresees that the mortals might even stand a chance.
- After The Dig Site quest she comments on the stone tablet and how she's not going to tremble in fear because some rock tells her to.
- The homepage background that features Ariane, Ozan and Sir Owen was released one and a half months before they were announced.
- When clicking on an advertisement for RuneScape, there is also an image of Ariane.
- In the loading screen there is a picture of her fighting a horde of Armoured Zombies.
- Previously, during Three's Company, her magic level was supposedly not high enough to autocast fire bolt and it was blacked out on her magic tab, although it could still be manually cast.
- Also during Three's Company, she would sometimes cast two magic attacks in quick succession. It is unknown whether this is a glitch.
- When she teleports herself or others, she uses a different animation, which is a purple form of the standard spellbook teleports.
- When spoken to she contemplates how both modern and ancient spell books may be combined without the need to visit the ancient altar. Perhaps a hint at a future quest or quest reward.