|Release date||28 July 2009 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||It has a light on its forehead. What a pretty light... So shiny!|
The Aquanite is a Slayer monster that requires a Slayer level of 78 to kill and was announced by Jagex in a Guaranteed Content poll on 17 June 2009 and subsequently released on 28 July 2009. The poll asked players which name for the new monster they preferred: Aquanite, Gilidrixon, Amphibrath, Lanterwyn, or Anglibian. All of the names were suggested by players on the RuneScape Forums thread "Name A Slayer Creature" in "Suggestions - Monster and NPC". The name Aquanite won the Guaranteed Content Poll over Gilidrixon by 117 votes.
The Aquanites are located past the Kurasks at the very end of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon. While there are no requirements to get there, the travel time can be severely reduced with 81 Agility (boostable).
Players can also use another, faster way for those without 81 Agility. First, Smoking Kills must be completed before this can be used. Using a Ring of Slaying to teleport to Sumona, players run down the Desert Slayer Dungeon into either the Kurask or Turoth rooms, and use the portal, making players have a little walk to their lair. Otherwise, if players do not want to waste points for buying/making a Ring of Slayer, the Bandit Camp's lodestone or the Al-Kharid lodestone will suffice enough.
Using the Bandit camp lodestone, players will run east to the Desert Slayer Dungeon, or if needed, go down the Smokey Well to avoid unnesscary desert heat damage. If using the Al-Kharid lodestone, stock up at the Shantay pass, and bring either 205-400 coins and head to Pollnivneach.
Aquanites can hit up to 134 with their normal magic attack and are fairly accurate, even with large magic defenses. If the player is using the Protect from Magic prayer, they will use a special prayer-negating attack which can hit up to 250. The special prayer-negating attack is used every 10th attack whether you are using prayer or not. Note, however, that prayer flashing almost completely prevents them from using the protection cancelling attack. A healing familiar, food and prayer potions may be useful incase mistakes are made. A Bunyip is recommended, as well as Swallow Whole scrolls, due to the large amount of food the monster frequently drops.
Caution: Aquanites' special attack will deactivate a players' prayers in a similar manner to the special attack of the dragon scimitar, but unlike the dragon scimitar, they only turn it off, instead of preventing the player from using it for a while. Aquanites' attacks can hit fairly hard and are relatively accurate, but with the use of a healing familiar or similar methods, players may fight for long periods of time. However, it is possible to use protection prayer, since your prayer will only be deactivated for a second, and so gear with high prayer bonus may also be worn. There are two effective methods to fight these creatures.
- Helm: Full slayer helm/Focus sight (task) > Pernix coif > Armadyl helmet > Royal d'hide coif
- Body: Pernix body > Armadyl chestplate > Royal d'hide body > Black d'hide body
- Chaps: Pernix chaps > Armadyl chainskirt > Royal d'hide chaps > Black d'hide chaps
- Amulet: Amulet of ranging > Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory
- Weapon: Royal crossbow > Chaotic crossbow > Rune crossbow
- Ammo: Royal bolts > Broad-tipped bolts
- Aura: Master Sharpshooter > Vampyrism
- Boots: Glavien boots > Ranger boots > Snakeskin boots
- Cape: Completionist cape > Ava's devices
- Gloves: Royal d'hide vambraces > Culinaromancer Gloves 10 > Regen Bracelet
- Ring: Ring of wealth > Ring of life
- Best healer pouch
- Scrolls for the healer
- 2 Prayer potions
- 10 medium/high level food
- Helm: Full slayer helm/Slayer helm/Black mask (on task) > Torva full helm > Helm of netizinot
- Body: Ganodermic poncho > Torva body > Bandos chestplate > Karil's top > Royal d'hide body > Black d'hide body
- Legs: Ganodermic leggings > Torva platelegs > Bandos tassets > Karil's skirt > Royal d'hide chaps > Black d'hide chaps
- Amulet: Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory
- Weapon (stab): Chaotic rapier > Chaotic longsword > Brackish blade
- Weapon (slash)*: Chaotic longsword > Abyssal whip
- Gloves: Goliath Gloves > Culinaromancer Gloves 10
- Boots: Steadfast boots > Dragon boots > Rune boots
- Ring: Ring of wealth > Ring of life
- Aura: Vampyrism
- A slashing weapon should only be used if the player has at least 90+ attack. An Abyssal whip, despite being a slash weapon, has a decent slash and strength bonus, and will kill much faster than a Brackish blade.
- Bunyip pouch (and scrolls)
- 20 high levelled food
- Super (or greater) potion set
- 2+ Prayer potions
- 10 Prayer potions
- 5 high levelled food (skip if using Soul Split)
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 443
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water rune 30–49, 100 Common 390–1,300 Air rune 40 Uncommon 560 Nature rune 4 Uncommon 440 Death rune 3 Uncommon 279 Blood rune 3 Uncommon 489 Soul rune 3–6 Uncommon 366–732
Weapons and armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water battlestaff 1 Uncommon 8,764 Air battlestaff 1 Rare 8,702 Amulet of ranging 1 Rare 98,071
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bolts 10 Common 910 Runite bolts 5 Common 1,980 Rune dart 10 Common 1,010
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Morchella mushroom spore 4 Uncommon 1,176 Poison ivy seed 1 Uncommon 54 Cactus seed 1 Uncommon 26 Belladonna seed 1 Uncommon 33 Avantoe seed 1 Uncommon 1,932 Toadflax seed 1 Uncommon 691 Cadantine seed 1 Uncommon 2,416 Irit seed 1 Uncommon 78 Kwuarm seed 1 Uncommon 362 Fellstalk seed 1 Uncommon 448 Ranarr seed 1 Rare 1,021 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,144 Lantadyme seed 1 Rare 34,675 Dwarf weed seed 1 Rare 40,284 Torstol seed 1 Rare 79,997
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Uncommon 555 Grimy marrentill 1 Uncommon 44 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 675 Grimy ranarr 1 Uncommon 2,248 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 1,730 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,054 Grimy kwuarm 1 Uncommon 2,507 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 2,516 Grimy lantadyme 1 Uncommon 8,156 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Uncommon 8,089
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Raw lobster 1–3 Common 126–378 Raw swordfish 1–2 Common 305–610 Raw shark 1 Common 969
Please add your charm drop rates to the next template:
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 12,449 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 500 Common Not sold Seaweed 3–6 (noted) Common 1,269–2,538 Snape grass 3 (noted) Common 1,044 Pelvis bone 1 Common Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Long bone 1 Rare Not sold Curved bone 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
- The examine text may be a reference to Dory in Finding Nemo.
- The new item that came out along with Aquanite was the Amulet of ranging which increases range attack and magic defence bonuses by a moderate amount.
- There was a safe spot for the Aquanites. If a player was along the east wall and attacked the Aquanite spawned on the west wall, the Aquanite would retreat and not attack. This was later fixed.
- When Aquanites were released, it was possible that a player could set up and use a cannon to kill them; this was fixed by Jagex hours after their release.
- Previously, Kuradal could not assign Aquanites as a task. However, with the Shattered Heart update on 3 March 2010, the ability to be assigned Aquanites can be purchased for 50 Slayer points. Once unlocked, they cannot be removed from the assignments list except through the use of using one of the cancellation slots.
- Its bio-luminescence resembles that of Rocktails, as they have a similar bio-luminescence like anglerfish in real life.
- While attacking, the Aquanite's animation for its magic attack seems similar to that of using a 2h sword on crush setting.
- While using magic protection prayers, if the prayer is on before the Aquanite makes it's attack, and when the projectile reaches you, there is a chance that it will splash, or hit, though no damage will be taken.
- The Aquanite's attack, when it reaches the player and hits, looks almost alike a "splashed" spell, just without the water being very visible.
- Even though Guthan's has a decent stab bonus, the set effect will not overcome the Aquanite's damage.
- It has duck-like webbed feet, a bioluminescent light hanging from its forehead like that of an angler fish, and a head with whiskers like a catfish. This monster, therefore, seems to be a mixture of several different real life animals.
- While fighting Aquanites your character will sometimes become invisible when you are attacked and lose life points. This will even happen while the Protect from Magic prayer is activated.
- This is one of the few higher-levelled Slayer monsters that do not have access to the Rare drop table.