The Ape Atoll Agility course is located near Marim, Ape Atoll. It is a higher level Agility course, requiring Level 48 to use. Around 70 Agility is recommended so that the player fails fewer obstacles; at 75, failure no longer occurs. A Ninja Greegree (other types of monkeys are not agile enough to use the course) and completion of Chapter 2 of Monkey Madness is also required to use the course. Players can use the Teleport to Ape Atoll spell to reach a location close to the course, however this also requires completion of the Recipe for Disaster subquest, Freeing King Awowogei. Players who have completed Fairy Tale III can use fairy ring code C•L•R to teleport directly to the course. The player must first clear the log (no items required to clear) and use a small ninja greegree to go through. This will take players to the middle of the course; using the rope swing to cross the river, then using the vine to climb down the hillside will take the player to the beginning of the course. Running around the hillside and using the stepping stone to cross back over the river will then start a new lap of the course. A perfect lap of the course provides 580 experience points.
The Ape Atoll Agility course was once considered by many as the best course to reach level 99 Agility. Indeed, when it was first released, it was the fastest experience from 70 to 99 agility. The Dorgesh-Kaan Course, released in March 2007, became the fastest experience to 99 agility starting at level 80-85. Despite this, many people continue to use Ape Atoll all the way to 99 agility due to personal preference. It takes 20,387 laps of the course to reach level 99 Agility from level 75, with no failures of obstacles due to a 100% success rate from level 75 and above. That is equal to around 11 complete days of non-stop training at this course.
Then, in June 2009, Dorgesh-Kaan was changed slightly, and also the Extended Barbarian and Extended Gnome courses were released. From levels 85 to 99, the new extended courses became fastest, and now is most commonly used. Dorgesh-Kaan then is only the fastest experience from levels 80 to 85, although Ape Atoll is very close behind. Ape Atoll is definitely fastest from 70 to 80, although it is often actually used from around 65 to 85.
One reasonably popular method of training on this course is to take a large number of Summer pies or Agility potions (at levels 70 and 72, respectively) to maintain a constant agility level of 75. Because the player will never fail an obstacle at this level, doing this ensures that the player can obtain the maximum hourly exp rate starting at a level well below 75. However, if a player starts this at the minimum level, the boost will only last a minute before requiring reboosting (as a level of 74 will not ensure 100% success, and a boost up to 75 will only last one minute before dropping to 74 again). Therefore, it is recommended to have at least level 72 to use summer pies and 73 for agility potions, so that the boost will last a little longer and more exp can be pulled from each boost.
This place is ideal for the Surefooted aura as players 48-70 can get the max exp rate for 20 min which is around 16-18k exp. This is an easy 1-3 levels for 20min of work and is highly recommended for agility levels 48+. Though as a note of warning, if your aura runs out while you are climbing down the vine, it is possible to still fail the obstacle.
The fastest possible lap of the Ape Atoll agility course is 65 game ticks, or 42 seconds. A maximum of 85.7 laps can be completed per hour, at 580 experience each, for a maximum of 49.7k xp. No energy potions are needed. A fast person can expect to get 47-49k experience per hour, while some people can only get in the 40k's. However, anyone over level 75 agility can potentially obtain the maximum experience rate. Dorgesh-Kaan also gives around 50-53k experience per hour, while both the extended courses can give over 60k experience per hour; the Barbarian course can even reach up to 70k experience per hour past level 93 agility.
Familiars and pets cannot be used on this course.
- Ninja greegree - you cannot use this course without the ninja greegree, no other greegree will work.
Changing to humanEdit
You may wish to change to human to talk to the Talent Scout or to use a teleport or other spell. Remember that poison scorpions are around, so either have some anti-poison on hand (or poison-purge), be ready to eat, pray vs melee or, where appropriate, use a safe spot such as the upstairs of the small building.
- Amulet of Glory, Ape Atoll Teleport (2 Law runes, 2 fire runes, 2 water runes and a Banana), and Fairy Ring "C•L•R" (requires Fairy tale III completion).
- Wicked Cape / Spotted or Spottier cape, Boots of lightness, Penance gloves, Agile top or Wicked robe top , and Agile legs or Wicked legs for weight reduction (although, being in possession of the Agile top and/or Agile legs would mean that you wouldn't have much need for training on this course).
- Knife for cutting a Pineapple (tool belt knife will work)
- Food (Only a small amount would be needed if you are utilising the many food sources near the course. Unnecessary at 75+ Agility — unless you plan on attacking monkeys or other wildlife); summer pies are recommended.
- Agility potions if your agility level is low.
- Summer pies - They heal 950 life points in two bites and they also restore 10% run energy and boost your Agility by 5 levels.
- Penance horn - Gives double experience, meaning potentially over 100,000 experience per hour.
- Sköll boots - Doubles agility experience received, charge not active as of 16 May 2012.
(300 if course is fully completed)
The final obstacle (climb-down) gives 100xp and 300 xp bonus if you've completed the whole course. This brings the total for the course to 580xp. One disadvantage of using this course prior to obtaining 75 Agility is that it is possible to fail the last climb down, resulting in the loss of more than half of the total experience received from one lap. Note that the only way to get only the base experience for the last obstacle, and not the bonus experience, is finish a lap, get off ape atoll, and go to a fairy ring, teleport to the fairy ring C•L•R, and go through the final part of the course again.
When the player has clicked on the last climb down, already right click the menu of the first jump, so the player can easily walk to it when the player is down the climb-down, this saves a few seconds every lap. The fastest lap times for this course are approximately 38–40 seconds, with most players averaging 45 seconds per lap. An alternative method is to note the position of the rock on the screen immediately after coming off of the vine. By positioning one of the boxes on the screen as a reference point, players may easily position the mouse for where the rock will be prior to the end of their climb down the vine. Then they may immediately click the rock to continue progress through the course. This method also avoids problems that come during the occasional glitch while climbing down the vine.
Regenerating Life pointsEdit
- When you are out of food, grab some bananas from the warehouse just north from the earlier mentioned small bridge or outside the monkey child's house. Enter through the back door (south side) and search the first crate on your left hand side.
- Slice pineapples from the plant next to the Ape Atoll Agility Course into rings for 800 life points per fruit.
- You can bring some money to buy Banana stew from Solihib's Food Stall which can be found nearby. You will not need a Monkeyspeak Amulet because you can simply right-click at Solihib to trade.
- At Level 5 Thieving you can steal bananas from the food store.
- At Level 76 Fishing you can fish raw sharks from the fishing spot nearby. If you take an axe and a tinderbox, you can make a fire and cook sharks on it (80 Cooking required). Watch out though, there are scorpions nearby that can hit over 150 and poison you.
- If you have almost or near full life points, you will be hit for around 70-80 life points upon failure but as you lose more and more LP you will take as little as 30 life points.
- Bring prayer restoring items to use Rapid Heal or Redemption and use the altar in the temple North-east of the course to recharge your Prayer from time to time.
- Have a rest. This will speed up life point recovery. Or, if you have completed the quest, Dream Mentor, and you have the Lunar Spellbook , you may use the spell Dream . This spell will cause you to heal a bit faster than just resting.
- After the Rope swing, there is a cave with a monkey nut bush with Tchiki monkey nuts on it. Though you must reach a certain point in Recipe for disaster and there only grows 1 (you can drop them and pick more), its an easy, reliable way of getting food. You cannot pick the nuts if you have not started or have fully completed the King Awowogei section of Recipe for Disaster.
- In the building with the sleeping guard there is a crate full of iron scimitars just south of the sleeping guard. Take a full inventory and sell them to Daga just outside the building. Two inventories should be enough to buy a full inventory of monkey bars which heal 90 LP each.
- If you have completed Fairy Tale III, you can use the unblocked log to travel back into Zanaris and restock your food at the bank.
- A Poison Purge aura can be kind of useful here (43+ Prayer highly recommended), as there are many creatures that poison here. The best way to heal with the aura at the course is to turn on Deflect Melee/Protect from Melee and turn to human form near a scorpion. As soon as it poisons you, run to a safe place and equip your Greegree. Then, activate your aura and continue the course. Once the poison damage hits you, it will heal you instead of poison damaging you. Take note that each heal is under 100 life points.
- If you attempt an obstacle and remove your greegree in a quick succession it will, if timed correctly, make a glitch happen where an archer monkey appears inside your character as he walks through the obstacle.
- If you attempt this agility course whilst in human form, you will slip off the stepping stone and a message will appear in your chatbox that says "The rock is covered in slime and you slip into the water... ...you're not monkey enough to try this!"
- If you attempt this agility course while you are not a small or a medium ninja monkey, you will get a message saying, "Only the stealthy and agile monkey can use this!"
- While climbing down the zipline, you cannot rightclick on the stepping stone in the beginning of the course, but you can rightclick on it right after clicking on the zipline but before you get on the zipline so you can avoid having to rotate the screen or walk over and click on the stone while moving.
- The waterfall graphics were updated about 5/13/2013 and became more misty.
- Even when you have the surefooted aura activated, you will fail the obstacles in human form.