|Strongest Monster||Nex (level 220)|
|Quests||The World Wakes (for cutscene only)|
Click the map to view a larger version.
|Location on World Map|
|Ice Path||←||Ice Path||→||Forgotten Cemetery|
The God Wars Dungeon (often referred to as GWD), originally known as the Temple of Lost Ancients, is a dungeon where armies of various gods - left over from the God Wars - fight one another to the death. Jagex has classified the God Wars Dungeon as the most dangerous place in all of RuneScape. It is recommended that players who wish to explore the God Wars Dungeon only bring items which they are willing to lose. A high Slayer level is recommended, as the Spiritual warriors, Spiritual mages, and Spiritual rangers all require a Slayer level of 68 or higher.
Players need either 60 Strength or 60 Agility in order to use one of the two short cuts needed to gain entry to God Wars Dungeon. They must also have defeated Dad in the Troll Stronghold quest. Anyone wanting to explore the God Wars Dungeon must have level 15 Agility (regardless of strength level).
The main level of the God Wars Dungeon contains four different armies. The minions of each army are dedicated to a god involved in the God Wars: Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin, and Zamorak. If you are heading to the Dungeon, bringing one item of each god (Armadyl, Zamorak, Saradomin and Bandos) is advised to stay safe because each god's minions will attack anyone who does not wear an item dedicated to their god. A lower level, the Ancient Prison, contains a fifth army, that of Zaros.
Each of the gods' chambers in the dungeon may attract many players because of the exclusive items that can only be obtained within. Bandos' Stronghold, which contains General Graardor and his captains, is often the place most crowded with players.
The God Wars Dungeon is an enormous cavern hidden north of Trollheim and seems to be one of the last remaining battlefields of the god wars. Saradomin, Armadyl, Bandos and Zamorak, the last active gods of the god wars, were—and still are—fighting against each other inside this dungeon.
At the beginning of the God Wars, an extremely powerful Zarosian general named Nex, was imprisoned inside an icy cave by Saradominists. Once Nex and her ancient army were left frozen inside the cave, the Saradominists built a temple around the cave.
Many years after this, Zamorak had gathered an army so powerful that it seemed nothing could stop him from achieving victory of the god wars. In response, Saradomin forged a triumvirate of gods between himself, Bandos and Armadyl, in order to discuss their battle plans. The gods reached a conclusion, and forged the godsword, a weapon powerful enough to slay a god. An army was gathered, and the Armadylian Aviantese were given the task of delivering the godsword, so that Zamorak may be destroyed once and for all.Misfortune befell the army, and it was quickly eviscerated by the vast Zamorakian forces. An ambush was also launched on the Aviantese delivering the godsword, attempting to seize the sword. The Aviantese fought off the Zamorakians long enough to retreat into the ancient temple in the mountains. There, they continued the fight for the godsword.
Both Saradomin and Bandos sent their forces to lend the Aviantese aid, marking the arrival of armies of Saradominist knights, while representing Bandos were the Rekeshuun goblins, ogres and orks amongst other, less abundant troops. Tensions quickly arose amongst the gods, and they soon turned against each other, and what should have been a war against Zamorak soon became a quarrel for the fearsome godsword.
At some point during the battle, Saradominist priests and priestesses, namely Ashuelot Reis, were approached by a stranger, who told them about Guthix and how it was able to stop the chaos of the god wars. Ashuelot and the other priests were persuaded to turn against Saradomin and become Guthixian followers. However, when the priests and priestesses were instructed to perform the ritual to supposedly awaken Guthix, Nex was instead awakened from her imprisonment. The stranger, who is later found out to be the Mahjarrat Sliske, killed the priests and priestesses after they had done his bidding. Ashuelot Reis was proficient in Guthixian rituals, and thus transformed herself into a nature spirit so as to pass her story on to adventurers.
However, the other four generals were forced to form an alliance to defeat her. They succeeded, and Nex was once again trapped behind the frozen door. After this, the four armies started fighting again for their godsword.
As the massive battle raged on, Guthix awoke from its slumber. The God of Balance joined the fray - not for the godsword, but because the battle threatened the very balance of the world. Guthixian forces served as diversions, in order to prolong the battle – at least long enough for the magus Aeternam to cast an enormous freezing spell on the temple, imprisoning the combatants within for thousands of years, and effectively ending the war. The dungeon thus contains many creatures that are now extinct elsewhere on Gielinor, having gone extinct during the God Wars.
Thousands of years later, in the Fifth Age, however, tectonic activity in Gielinor soon thawed out the ancient temple and all the warriors within. The now-thawed out combatants of the God Wars still believe that the war has yet to end, and once again continued their battle for the godsword.
Following the thawing of this dungeon, it was shortly discovered by a dwarf; and through this dwarf the Temple Knights of Asgarnia were alerted to the unearthing of this cavern. Fearing the resurfacing of some ancient evil, a contingent of the Knights' best men was dispatched to the dungeon for reconnaissance. The might of the ancient combatants had not diminished over thousands of years; the knights were swiftly slaughtered – all except one: Sir Gerry, who lies dying at the cave's mouth.
How to get thereEdit
- Players with level 61 Magic who have completed the Eadgar's Ruse quest may use the Trollheim Teleport to teleport to Trollheim. Climb down the east side of the mountain.
- Because of the Troll Warzone update, Tenzig and his route has been removed, so players who do not have a house in Rellekka must go use the same path, but instead of going up, go to the thrower trolls in Death Plateau, use the climbing boots, and then climb up the cliffside, turn left to the same wall climb and turn east if you have not completed Troll Stronghold or right to use the shortcut.
- If you have a player owned house in Rellekka, you can teleport there using the teleport to house spell (which requires 1 law, 1 earth and 1 air) or House Teleport tab, and from there walk east. If you look carefully on the world map, you will see a path that leads from the Fremennik Province to the land of the Trolls. This route also requires Climbing Boots.
Once at the eastern foot of Trollheim, go north past the Thrower trolls (Using the Protect from Ranged prayer to avoid constant ranged attacks is strongly recommended). Go up the north-east valley until you reach a large boulder. A player can simply use Surge to go pass the thrower trolls without getting damaged. This will require level 34 Magic.
- Push the boulder (requires level 60 Strength). Note that you can use boosts.
- Alternatively, use the agility shortcut (requires level 60 Agility), which is sliding past the same rock, instead of lifting it.
- Once past the boulder or through the shortcut, you will reach an icy, cold area before the dungeon entrance. This drains run energy, lowers stats, and causes damage. (Run energy will be continually replenished if the player is under the effect of the salt-water spring).
- There are several aggressive level 136 Ice wolves near the entrance. (Turn on melee protect) Turn on your run energy so your stats will not be drained too badly from the cold area.
- Make sure all your god-related protection is equipped. A mistake will most likely kill you when you get inside.
The Dying KnightEdit
|“||...When the Temple Knights discovered rumours of the ruined temple, they immediately feared the return of some ancient evil and sent a contingent of their strongest warriors to investigate. The knight that lies dying amidst the crumbling masonry is all that remains of that doomed expedition...||”|
- South-west of the dungeon entrance, talk to the Dying knight and receive the Knight's notes. The knight asks you to bring the notes to Sir Tiffy Cashien in Falador Park. You can enter the dungeon without bringing the notes to Sir Tiffy. You don't even need the notes to enter, just speak to the knight before entering the first time. (If you bring the notes to Sir Tiffy, he will take them whether you have read them or not.)
- After you grab the notes from the Dying knight, he will succumb to his fatal wounds. If you did not bring the notes to Sir Tiffy (by destroying it), you can obtain another set of notes from his corpse.
- 60 Strength or 60 Agility to get to the entrance.
- Climbing boots/Rock climbing boots (12 coins / 75,000 coins respectively from Freda) or 2 Fire runes and 2 Law runes for the Trollheim Teleport spell (on the normal spellbook).
- Defeated Dad in the Troll Stronghold quest if you plan on walking or completion of Eadgar's Ruse (Troll Stronghold needed) if you plan on using Trollheim teleport.
- Ring of Life
- If praying, around 8 Prayer potions or Super restore potions.
- If using food to heal, either of:
- Good food (depending on your Constitution, rocktail, cavefish, or sharks)
- Around 50-200 Bones to Peaches - They turn ALL bones in your inventory to peaches after an update, which can heal you greatly if you are out of food. Just collect the bones as you kill, then break the tab to make every bone in your inventory a peach.
- One-click teleport (such as the Ectophial. Teleport tablets, or Teleport scrolls.)
- Super sets are not required, but recommended for faster kills.
- Antipoison++ - only needed for bosses that poison greatly: K'ril Tsutsaroth and Nex.
- Stat restore potion, or an extra super restore potion, for recovering from the icy area above the dungeon.
It is recommended that players do not take a Dwarven Multicannon into the God Wars dungeon. The cannon can be set up there, but the monsters there will attack and destroy it if you attempt to fire it (If this happens, you will need to get a replacement cannon from Nulodion).
Below is a table of equipment belonging to the four god-participants of the God Wars. The combatants will not attack you if a piece of armour dedicated to their god is worn, apart from the Zaros followers in the Ancient Prison. Note that the items must be equipped and not simply kept in the inventory.
|Main dungeon||All four: Zamorak, Saradomin, Armadyl, Bandos|
|Zamorak's Fortress||Zamorak (only)|
|Saradomin's Encampment||Saradomin & Zamorak|
|Armadyl's Eyrie||Armadyl & Zamorak|
|Bandos' Stronghold||Bandos & Zamorak|
|Ancient Prison||No protection possible|
* An item listed as Zaros affiliated will make all monsters non-agressive, with the exception of the ones found in the Ancient Prison.
You can also bring fully grown pets or familiars of certain gods' followers to stop them from attacking (they must be following you for this to take effect). Note that Nex armour or the Zaryte bow will protect you from all of the God Wars Dungeon's monsters EXCEPT for monsters in the Ancient Prison, the generals and their bodyguards. For example, equipping an Armadyl pendant, Ancient mace, Zamorak platelegs, and Saradomin cloak will give full protection against attacks from the Armadyl, Bandos, Zamorak and Saradomin minions, respectively.
Note: If players take a specific god armour off, such as Armadyl mitre, and requips it, all Armadyl followers will still be aggressive at you until you log out or run out of the area.
Since each item must be equipped as Worn Equipment, it doesn't help to take two different god items that are worn in the same place. The following table can help to avoid this problem.
For protection in the Ancient Prison, players used to be able to have a 250+ defence bonus in the stat they wish to be protected from (e.g. a 300 range defence + 50 magic defence will protect you from the Ancient Rangers, but the Ancient Mages will still attack you, as well as the Blood Reaver's magic attack.)[Ancient staff) that does not help meet the 250 bonus requirement does not protect players from monsters in the Ancient Prison.] It was up to the player to find the correct setup that would protect them, as it can be different for everyone. Any Ancient armour (including the
* The ancient ceremonial robes can be worn to gain access straight to Nex without killcount. The robes don't protect you from the monsters in the Ancient Prison though.
- The Saradomin and Zamorak mjolnirs do not give protection.
- The Falador shield (1, 2, or 3), staff of light, and Demon-Slayer armor and weapons do not give protection from Saradomin followers.
One of the cheapest ways of protection via equipped items only is to wear:
- A Ring of devotion ( 36)
- A Zamorak robe (top) ( 397)
- An Ancient mace (can be replaced by talking to Tegdak at a cost of 1,000 coins)
- An Armadyl pendant (obtained from the Temple of Ikov quest), or an Armadyl mitre (if Temple of Ikov has not been completed).
This will protect against Saradomin, Zamorak, Bandos and Armadyl respectively. The Grand Exchange total of these items is approximately 500 coins. Equipping all of these items causes all the monsters in the dungeon to become unaggressive to the player.
However, due to a large number of new updates, a Ring of devotion, a Zamorak arrow, a Bandos mitre and an Armadyl pendant (or an Armadyl mitre with a Bandos robe legs if you don't have 40 ranging) is a better outfit since it leaves the weapon slot and most of the important armour slots (such as torso and shield) free, and the Bandos mitre (the most expensive piece) costs only around 50k to replace. Note that if you replace the Bandos mitre for the more expensive Bandos cloak, Guthan's set can be worn alongside the god-related equipment without having to unequip anything.
It is quite practical to use Guthan's set in many places in the dungeon, such as when on Slayer tasks for spiritual warriors or spiritual rangers or other melee- and ranged-using minions. (Guthan's is difficult to use against mages that can hit high unless you use Protect from magic or deflect magic continuously as the armour has poor magic defence, and is impossible to use against any of Armadyl's followers.)
When using Guthan's for the Slayer task of spiritual warriors, the healing effect seems less effective and doesn't happen as often. In Zamorak's chamber, after killing a few spiritual warriors, fight a werewolf or two. The healing effect occurs much more often and you can easily recharge to full health. You can also use their bones for the Bones To Peaches spell.
The key for most players using Guthan's is to avoid being attacked in multi-way combat while wearing the set. In the main part of dungeon, this requires one wearing one item of each god in addition to Guthan's. In each of the god's chambers, only an item of that god needs be worn in addition to Guthan's.
When using Guthan's set, it is recommended to bring or wear:
- Complete Guthan's set.
- 1 Super restore potion or Restore potion (for recovering from the icy area near the entrance).
- 1 Prayer potion (optional; take if there's a chance of occasional prayer use).
- 1 piece of good food (optional; use as insurance against Guthan's failing to activate when health is low).
- One-click teleport (such as the Ectophial or Magic tablet).
- Super sets (optional).
- Antipoison or Super antipoison (only needed for the Zamorak and Zaros generals).
- Fire runes and nature runes for high level alchemy (optional; use to alchemy steel through rune armour and weapon drops).
- Include Armadyl pendant, Zamorak arrow, Bandos cloak, & ring of devotion for both stat-effective and cost-effective protection from all four god factions.
At 70 Ranged, it is easier to protect yourself from all monsters in dungeon. A setup comprising of a Bandos coif, Unholy book, Ring of devotion and the Armadyl pendant (from Temple of Ikov) has decent bonuses, as well as the torso, legs, ammo, amulet, weapon and cape slots free. The Book of Law is a good alternative to the Unholy book, as it has decent bonuses while it's cheaper. If the player does not mind picking up arrows and bolts manually or is using the crystal bow (also requiring 70 ranged), they can wear a Zamorak cape instead of Ava's alerter and an amulet of ranging instead of an armadyl pendant, which have absolutely no bonuses. This setup is slightly more expensive and tedious to use, but gives better defence. If the player utilizes the Bandos pool, they can use the ranged set of the Void Knight equipment. If the player uses a crystal bow, they could also keep a Zamorak arrow in their ammo slot and use any ring desired, for example a Ring of Wealth.
- Bathing in the Bandos pool in the Oo'glog Spa provides the temporary effect (lasts 1 hour) of stopping Bandos' followers from attacking. (Requires completion of the "As a First Resort..." quest.)
- The generals and servants of each god are always aggressive, regardless of equipment worn.
- It should be noted, to prevent wearing equipment that is unnecessary, that when going after one of the forces in the main room, the force diagonally across from it will not be close enough to attack you, except at the entrance to the dungeon. For full protection you only need:
- Armadyl Corner: Armadyl, Saradomin and Zamorak protection. No Bandos (though, being in the western part of dungeon requires Bandos, but no Saradomin)
- Bandos Corner: Bandos, Zamorak, and Armadyl protection. No Saradomin
- Zamorak Corner: Zamorak, Bandos, and Saradomin protection. No Armadyl
- Saradomin Corner: Saradomin, Zamorak, and Armadyl protection. No Bandos
All monsters found in the dungeon are aggressive towards the player if they do not have any god-related protection on. However, here is an outlook on some of the monsters that will always fight other monsters, which may be used to your advantage:
- Aviansie (only west and south sides)
- Spiritual warrior (Saradomin)
- Spiritual mage (Saradomin)
God Wars Dungeon foes and their weaknesses Edit
Below follows a number of comprehensive tables that detail the foes you can encounter in the dungeon as well as their god-allegiance, combat level, combat style and specific weakness.
Main dungeon Edit
Bosses and Bodyguards Edit
|Zamorak||K'ril Tsutsaroth||Tstanon Karlak||Balfrug Kreeyath||Zakl'n Gritch|
|Bandos||General Graardor||Sergeant Strongstack||Sergeant Steelwill||Sergeant Grimspike|
|Armadyl||Kree'arra||Flight Kilisa||Wingman Skree||Flockleader Geerin|
* The row below shows the Attack Styles used by the units named here.
** Kree'arra also attacks with Ranged.
Minion troops Edit
|God||Attack style that's used by the minion troops (Combat level)|
|Saradomin||Knight of Saradomin (130)||Spiritual warrior (140)||Saradomin priest (134)||Spiritual mage (140)||Spiritual ranger (140)|
|Zamorak||Imp (8)||Icefiend (120)||Vampyre (128)||[Werewolf]] (128)||Pyrefiend (132)||Bloodveld (132)||Hellhound (136)||Gorak (136)||Spiritual warrior (140)||Spiritual mage (140)||Spiritual ranger (140)|
|Bandos||Goblin (120)||Ogre (124)||Jogre (124)||Hobgoblin (130)||Cyclops (130)||Ork (136)||Spiritual warrior (140)||Spiritual mage (140)||Spiritual ranger (140)|
|Armadyl||Aviansie (128, 132, 136)||Spiritual warrior (140)||Spiritual mage (140)||Aviansie (128, 132, 136)||Spiritual ranger (140)|
Nex's Ancient Prison Edit
|Zaros||Nex||Fumus||Umbra||Cruor||Glacies||Blood reaver||Ancient mage||Ancient ranger||Ancient warrior|
- When a player first enters the dungeon, they arrive near a rope where a massive battle is being fought against all four gods. The god's armies are Bandos, Zamorak, Saradomin, and Armadyl. Moving out of the tile near the rope where your character is standing on will result in any nearby monsters of their god attacking you if you do not have their respective god item.
- Music: Armageddon
- At the edges of the main dungeon are special chambers belonging to each god, serving as a sort of "base" for each god's followers. Each chamber contains many minions of the chamber's god. Some Zamorak minions also appear in each of the other three chambers, where they usually fight the inhabitants of those chambers. This means a Zamorak item should be equipped in every god chamber, but Armadyl, Bandos, and Saradomin items only need to be equipped in their respective chambers. This allows the player to swap out items like the Armadyl pendant for more powerful items.
- Gaining entry to these chambers requires the players to have certain levels and sometimes use of some equipment.
- Summoned familiars can enter all four chambers, although sometimes they may need to be called after the player enters. (Familiars once could not enter Zamorak's chamber and had to be dismissed, but after the update on 8 July 2009, familiars can now cross the bridge.)
- At the end of each chamber are the most powerful generals of each god, with Combat levels from 210 to 220. There are also three bodyguards and an altar for the player to use.
- Location: North-east
- Requires: 70 Constitution to cross the river[
]. (You will not take any damage however you cannot use boosts.)
- Note: The only way to leave the Fortress without teleports or dying is to cross the river again. You also must have 70 constitution to do this.
- General: K'ril Tsutsaroth
- Music: Zamorak Zoo
The player's Prayer points are immediately drained to 0 upon entering. In addition to that, the lighting is dimmed and cannot be magnified by any light sources. Despite the dim light, it is still fairly easy to see. The light brightens in a few bright spots in the dungeon, but most areas are dim.
If the player's destination is the Fortress, players who are going there for Spiritual warrior or Spiritual mage task, they should save their Super restore potion (only if they have an equal Slayer level to the monster) before entering. This is usually not needed though as you will recover the lost level fast. As with Super restore potions, Prayer potions should be saved until the player goes inside.
The fortress is the only one of the four gods' chambers that contains only the minions of its god. No minions of Saradomin, Armadyl, or Bandos spawn here.
- Location: South-east
- Requires: 70 Agility (You cannot use boosts)
- General: Commander Zilyana
- Music: Strength of Saradomin
Agility boosters cannot be used to enter the encampment. Familiars can be brought into the Encampment, but may need to be called at the bottom in order to access its inventory. A few minions of Zamorak (werewolves, vampyres, an icefiend, and one gorak) are in the encampment, fighting the minions of Saradomin. Bandos and Armadyl minions do not appear in the encampment.
In the encampment's boss chamber, players can see an inaccessible watery area. This was originally thought to be a future expansion to the God Wars Dungeon, however it was later revealed that it is an abandoned area that was originally intended for an underwater passage to Zamorak's Fortress which was replaced by the current jump across the river due to time constraints.
The main area of the Encampment was increased in size along with the addition of the Zaros section of the God Wars Dungeon, providing many more monsters to fight in the Encampment.
- Location: South-west
- Requires: 70 Ranged (You cannot use boosts)
- General: Kree'arra
- Music: Armadyl Alliance (You do not need to cross to unlock the music, just stand at the edge of the pit.)
None of the Aviansie within the chamber can be attacked with Melee. There are a few Zamorak followers roaming the eyrie (goraks, bloodvelds, werewolves, spiritual rangers), so it is a good idea to keep a Zamorak item equipped (the unholy book is a good choice for rangers). The Armadyl and Zamorak minions rarely fight one another. No Saradomin or Bandos minions appear in the Eyrie.
- Location: North-west
- Requires: 70 Strength, a Hammer (Golden hammer, Sacred clay hammer or toolbelt will also work)
- General: General Graardor
- Music: Bandos Battalion
The gong on the big door must be hit with a hammer to enter the chamber. A hammer stored on a toolbelt will work. The player will automatically enter the Stronghold when the gong is hit. Strength potions have no effect for the 70 strength requirement for entry to the Stronghold.
To leave, simply walk up next to the door and it will open, or click on the door ('Bang on big door'). The door does not always open. If this happens, walk about 3-4 squares into the Stronghold and try again. (Simply staying next to the door and repeatedly clicking it does not cause it to open.)
A few minions of Zamorak (a Bloodveld, Hellhound, Imp, Werewolf and a few Vampyres) are found lingering in the Stronghold. Only the Werewolf, Vampyre and Hellhound fight the followers of Bandos. The imp is rarely, if ever, attacked.
It is in the southern part of the Dungeon, just east of the entrance to Armadyl's Eyrie, is a door with the symbols of the four gods. The door is the entrance to the Zaros stronghold, known as the Ancient Prison. The player must have a Frozen key in inventory to open the door. The key must be assembled from four key fragments, one being held by each of the four armies on the main level of the dungeon. The players must enter the encampments of Armadyl, Bandos, Saradomin and Zamorak and slay the monsters there to obtain the pieces of the key. (All monsters in the appropriate encampment can drop a key fragment. It is a fairly common drop, about 30-40 kills of the relevant monsters should get you the key fragment.)After passing through the door, the player is in a small, monsterless room with a pit leading to a lower level.
After climbing down the pit, the player is in another small, monsterless room. The player should make any final preparation here (healing, drinking potions, etc.) before passing through the tunnel into the dangerous main room. The main room contains Ancient warriors, Ancient rangers, Ancient mages and Blood reavers, which will be aggressive to the player unless the player has a high enough defence against them (see God-related protection above). Also, the magic attack of the Blood reaver can hit through Protect from Magic prayer, although only with reduced damage.
After killing 40 of Zaros' followers in the main room, the player gains the ability to enter another safe room, located between the main room and the general's headquarters room. This room contains a bank, and players should use it to restock and prepare for the headquarters room. In the headquarters room the player encounters the very powerful Nex, the Zarosian general, as well as her four minions plus blood reavers that Nex can summon during a battle.
NOTE: You can wear Ancient Ceremonial robes to enter the bank area without the kills, but they do not have any stats, and the monsters will still be aggressive, so if you choose these, it is suggested that you run straight to the bank or bring a set of armour with defensive bonuses to wear until you need to bank.
- Mortals, only death awaits you here
- Release me and know despair
- Face me and know despair
- All those who oppose us will perish
- Give me the power of shadow
- My revenge will be great
- Face me and you will suffer
- You cannot imprison me forever
On 15 December 2010, a lifepoint-boosting armour named Torva was leaked. The Behind the scenes of January 2011 revealed that there will be lifepoint boosting armour, dropped by the new Zaros boss monster, Nex, would be named Torva armour, along with Virtus armour and Pernix armour.
To gain access to each general, players must kill at least 40 members of their respective armies (NOTE: If you leave the dungeon, your killcount will reset). Altars to recharge your prayer are in each of the general's rooms (except in Nex's), but can be used only once every 10 minutes and cannot be used while in combat.
NOTE: The generals and their bodyguards DO count towards the killcount.
If a player is wearing an item corresponding to that god, they will receive a +10 Prayer boost for each item (e.g. A player with 99 Prayer wearing Bandos tassets, Boots, Chestplate, and Ancient mace, Bandos coif, Bandos vambraces, Book of war, will receive 1060 Prayer after praying at the Bandos altar).
While a general is alive, his/her minions or bodyguards within the chamber will continue to respawn immediately until the general is killed. Each general has three sergeants (with the exception of Nex who has four), one with magic attack style, range attack style, and melee attack style. The generals are immune to poison; however, their bodyguards can be poisoned.
The door to the general's area only opens from the outside. Using the 'teleport' option on the Altar will teleport the player outside the door, but still inside the larger encampment.
- Name: Commander Zilyana
- Race: Icyene
- Level: 210
- Attack style: Melee and Magic
- Bodyguards: Starlight, Growler, Bree
Commander Zilyana is a female Icyene. She is described in the Game Guide as "delivering divine justice with a sharpened tip". Her max hit with melee is 1500; lower than the other bosses, albeit being very accurate, and are of the same speed as Throwing knives.
- Name: K'ril Tsutsaroth
- Race: Demon (Speculated to be an Elder-Demon or a Kal'Gerion)
- Level: 210
- Attack style: Melee and Magic
- Bodyguards: Balfrug Kreeyath, Tstanon Karlak, Zakl'n Gritch
According to the Game Guide, K'ril Tsutsaroth's powers have "destroyed towns and levelled entire cities". His magic attacks are relatively weak compared to his melee attacks. His magic attacks hit a maximum in the low 200s, but are commonly used. His melee attacks, however, can hit up to 1500. He can drain prayer hitting through protection prayers. Note that using prayer can still help you out, since he doesn't always hit through it. If fighting K'ril Tsutsaroth, it is advisable to bring protection against poison which will damage you for 168[ ] at first.
- Name: Kree'arra
- Race: Aviansie
- Level: 210
- Attack style: Ranged, Magic, Melee (when not under attack)
- Bodyguards: Wingman Skree, Flockleader Geerin, Flight Kilisa
Kree'arra cannot be attacked with any Melee attacks (except through the use of salamanders/swamp lizard). He attacks with melee only when he is not under attack. His Ranged and Magic attacks hit all players in his chamber with a whirlwind attack that knocks players back and freezes them. His maximum hit is 150 with Ranged, 250 (he hits 2 times) with Melee and 210 with Magic.
- Name: General Graardor
- Race: Ourg
- Level: 210
- Attack style: Melee, Ranged
- Bodyguards: Sergeant Strongstack, Sergeant Steelwill, Sergeant Grimspike
General Graardor is very large, brutal, and heavily armoured. Although he does not have a weapon, he still hits very hard and should not be underestimated. He uses Melee and Ranged attacks. His Melee attack can hit up to 1500, whilst his Ranged attack has a max hit of 350 (and can hit everyone in the room). Therefore, Protect from Melee is recommended. Until recently, teams could have tanks that would distract General Graardor from everyone else (taking his melee hits) and this strategy would almost always work. However, there was an unannounced update that can make Graardor change his target to somebody else if they have a familiar that is attacking him. This can be avoided by bringing a non-aggressive familiar or by sending your familiar to attack a minion when the general spawns.
- Name: Nex
- Race: Unknown
- Level: 220
- Attack style: Melee, Ranged, Magic
- Servants: Fumus, Umbra, Cruor, Glacies
Nex is an immensely powerful entity, and one of Zaros' most powerful weapons of war. It is said that what she really is has been long lost to time. However, she possesses physical traits of the Icyene, demons, aviantese and vampyres, being graceful, yet cruel and vicious. Thus, her race cannot be determined. Her history and origin are equally covered with mystery. It is known, though, that she is aligned to Zaros, she acts as something of a leader to his last army.
The most valuable of the items found as drops in the dungeon include the various pieces of the Godsword and other powerful equipment such as Bandos armour, Armadyl armour, the Robes of subjugation, Torva armour, Pernix armour, Virtus armour, and the Zaryte bow. They are all items that can only be obtained in the God Wars Dungeon, which makes the God Wars Dungeon truly unique.
Note: The Salve amulet does not work on the Spiritual minions within the dungeon.
The God Wars Dungeon has received four updates since its first release.
The first one occured on 20 December December 2010, when an 'Open' option was added to the Frozen door. Players who tried to open the door would hear an unknown voice talking to them to terrorize them, later revealed to be Nex. It was just a teaser, the door could not be opened.
The second one occured on 10 January 2011, when the frozen door was opened to reveal the Ancient Prison and Nex and her army.The update allowed players who acquired a frozen key to enter the prison, fight their way through and defeat Nex and her minions. Notable is the release of a bank in the dungeon (albeit unconventional to reach), the then-strongest monster Nex and many new items, most notably Torva, Pernix and Virtus armour, the Zaryte bow and Ancient Ceremonial robes. Several smaller updates were released involving the Ancient Prison.
The third update was much, much larger and was released on 5 September 2012. It involved a full graphical update of nearly everything in the dungeon (vampyres, Zilyana and K'ril were unaffected, for example, due to having been updated recently), including the generals and their bodyguards and armies, almost all weapons and equipment found in the dungeon, as well as a number of technical changes and a new assortment of audio and music for the dungeon. Drops were also improved, notable being the journals the generals drop which tell of their respective histories.
The fourth update was released on 30 April 2013. It allowed for instanced God War boss rooms, similar to the Kalphite King's instance mechanics. God Wars Generals were allowed to be instanced, which meant for stronger generals and minions (execpt for Nex, who was unaffected). Instanced rooms cost 200,000 coins per hour. There is also a "hard" version of them, which involves much stronger generals and minions, their special abilities from The World Wakes, and as a result in "Hard" mode rewards are much more plentiful along with a special drop called a Soulstone. Also, there is a "lobby" between the main God's room and the General's room. Before this update, a player who died in the general's room would end up having a grave in the boss room, which would make it highly likely that they would lose their items before they could grab their items. If a player dies in an instance shard room (NOT the regular), their grave will end up in the "lobby" so they can reclaim their items somewhat more safely.
- Most unique drops in an area: The four Godsword hilts, the three shards of the godsword blade, Zamorakian spear, Saradomin sword, Steam battlestaff, Dragon boots, Armadyl armour, Robes of subjugation, Torva armour, Pernix Armour, Virtus Robes, Zaryte Bow, Bandos armour and Ancient ceremonial robes can only be obtained in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Most unique monsters in an area: The five Commanders and their bodyguards, the Aviansies, Orks (except for Revenant orks and the unattackable orks seen in Zanaris), Spiritual rangers, Spiritual warriors, Spiritual mages, Saradomin priests, and several others can only be killed in the God Wars Dungeon.
Armies of GielinorEdit
In the Runescape based strategy game "Armies of Gielinor", the God Wars dungeon is one of the levels which can be played in the Guthix campaign. In this level you have the control over Guthix's army and you must defeat the Saradominist, Armadylian, Bandosian and Zamorakian armies.
- When standing in the southern edge of the lowest part of Saradomin's Encampment, an underwater area could once be seen to the south with dead bodies floating around using an orb of oculus. This was confirmed by a Jagex Moderator to be a place where you would swim through the lake on the way to Zamorak's Fortress, but was eventually scrapped. The area was replaced by the Ancient Prison and is no longer visible.
- In Bandos' part of the main dungeon north-west of the entrance, there used a frozen ork that appears to be shoulder-tackling a frozen man. The word "noob" could be seen on the floor just below the man. The man is at default player appearance as commonly used by macro-ers. This is no longer there due to a graphical update.
- When RuneScape HD was released, the God Wars Dungeon was featured on the login screen.
God Wars Dungeon-related items
|Robes of subjugation|
|Ancient ceremonial robes|
God Wars Dungeon Bosses