The Ancient Magicks are a branch of magic aligned to the gods Zaros and Seren, and form one of the three spellbooks in RuneScape. They are first accessible after the Desert Treasure quest, which rewards combat and teleport spells related to Zaros. After a higher-level quest, The Light Within, the spellbook gains additional spells that belong to Seren. Unlike the standard and Lunar spellbooks, the Ancient Magicks are largely combat-oriented, with only some of the Seren spells meant for non-combat.
The Ancient Magicks are a long forgotten and destructive set of spells. In the second age they were very commonly used, mostly by the followers of Zaros, who ruled a very large kingdom at that time.
The very destructive and powerful spells of the Ancient Magicks proved to be very useful during the wars in the era. The spellbook also contained various teleport spells which made it easier for the Zarosians to travel across their kingdom, which stretched from the northern Wilderness, to northern Misthalin and north-western Morytania. As of now, the spellbook contains teleports which lead to places where the currently destroyed Zarosian fortresses once stood.
After Zaros' banishment, Zamorak and other gods like Saradomin destroyed the entire kingdom. The destruction of the kingdom and the slow disappearance of runestones caused the Ancient Magicks to become a rarely used form of magic. During this time, only the Mahjarrat used Ancient Magicks, mostly because they didn't need runes to use magic.
The God Wars held after Zaros' banishment saw the slow fade of the Ancient Magicks from common knowledge. Many of the remaining followers of Zaros, whom comprised the majority of spell-casters, were killed or imprisoned. The powerful spells caused much destruction during the enormous battles, although the number of people who knew about the spells was extremely limited. Zuriel, one of the most powerful mages at that time, being one of the few who still possessed the knowledge, devised the Miasmic spells, which at one time was the most powerful combat spell set.
Long after the end of the God Wars, at the beginning of the fifth age, the art of Runecrafting was rediscovered, giving humans a new supply of runes. New spells were invented by modern wizards of the Wizards' Tower, driving the ancient magicks even further into obscurity. Today, Ancient Magicks are used almost exclusively by the Mahjarrat, who have been driven close to extinction in Gielinor. A handful of people, including Zamorakians, such as Solus Dellagar, and Zenevivia, still possess the knowledge of Ancient Magicks. But furthermore, most mages of Gielinor choose to practice the modern magic created at the Wizard's Tower. Players will learn about the Ancient Magicks during the Desert Treasure quest, where they release the imprisoned Zarosian mahjarrat Azzanadra.
Skill and Quest RequirementsEdit
Because unlocking the Ancient Magicks spellbook requires completion of the Desert Treasure quest, the following quests are also required:
|Total level: 270|
Because of these quests, the skills required to obtain the Ancient Magicks can be seen in the table to the right.
The quest also requires ice gloves to wield a weapon against one of the bosses, which require 50 mining to acquire. The quest can be completed without them using ice arrows, but it is generally regarded as difficult and thus 50 mining could be considered an unlisted requirement for Desert Treasure.
For the Seren portion of the spellbook you will need to complete The Light Within quest, which requires the following quests to be completed.
The quest also requires multiple level 80s and Plague's End requires multiple level 75s to start.
Players can switch to Ancient Magicks at the altar inside the Jaldraocht Pyramid (simply "Pyramid" on the World Map) in the Kharidian Desert, southwest of Pollnivneach and north of Menaphos. There is a rear entrance (tunnel) to the south of the pyramid that allows players who have completed Desert Treasure to enter the throne room directly, where the altar is, without having to navigate the four floors of the pyramid. At the altar, players can pray to switch to or from the Ancient Magicks spellbook, though this drains all Prayer points to zero. (Players can still switch spellbooks even with 0 Prayer points.)
Those who simply wish to switch from Ancient Magicks to the regular spellbook may find it easier to pray at the Astral Altar, and choose normal spellbook, on Lunar Isle, provided Lunar Diplomacy has been completed.
Reaching the pyramidEdit
Various methods of teleportation exist for reaching the Jaldraocht Pyramid:
- Home teleport to Bandit Camp through the Lodestone Network. This lodestone is located just northwest of the pyramid.
- Pollnivneach is a short distance east of the Pyramid and it is accessible via the use of a ring of slaying, the magic carpet network (from either Shantay Pass or Sophanem, after Icthlarin's Little Helper), or Teleport to House for players who have their houses located in Pollnivneach. After Love Story, a player can chisel a Teleport to House tablet to teleport to the Pollnivneach house portal.
- The pharaoh's sceptre, obtained from the Pyramid Plunder activity, teleports players directly on top of the pyramid via the Jaldraocht teleport.
- A camulet provides a teleport to Enahkra's temple, which is just west of Jaldraocht Pyramid.
- A bandit camp teleport scroll can be used to teleport to the Bandit Camp, which is northwest of the pyramid.
- Fairy ring code D•L•Q and run south to Nardah and run west till the bridge and cross it and you would see the Jaldraocht Pyramid
Prior to the autocasting update on 2 September 2009, the Ancient staff was the only way to autocast Ancient Magicks combat spells. It can be obtained once from Eblis, who will sell it for 80,000 coins after the completion of Desert Treasure. Alternately, the staff can be bought on the Grand Exchange for 75,345 coins, or obtained as a drop from mummies. When the staff's original purpose was rendered obsolete, it provided a 10% bonus to spell damage until the Evolution of Combat, when it became a standard level 50 staff.
The Ancient Magicks combat spells are, as mentioned, the most dangerous combat spells in the game. Not only can they deal a substantial amount of damage, but each of the four classes of elemental spells has a different curse effect:
- The Smoke spells (air) can reduce the target's chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds.
- The Shadow spells (earth) can lower the target's damage by 5% for 10 seconds.
- The Blood spells (fire) can heal the caster 5% of the damage dealt to the target, and 3% of damage to secondary targets.
- The Ice spells (water) can freeze the target in place and prevent it from moving for 10 seconds (2.4-9.6 seconds in PvP).
The effects have an estimated 10% chance to occur, for both auto-attacks and abilities; however, ice spells will always freeze targets if cast as an auto-attack. The Dark Form ancient curse doubles this chance. Between the releases of the Evolution of Combat and Seren spells, all but the ice spells applied their effects on every auto-attack, but would never with abilities. Ice spells always froze the target with auto-attacks and abilities.
In addition, the Burst and Barrage spells are area-of-effect (AoE) if cast as an auto-attack, and will hit both the target and any other player or NPC standing in a 3x3 zone around the target. Damage to secondary targets is reduced, as is the healing from blood spells. Rush and Blitz spells will only hit a single target.
Some monsters are large, meaning that they take up more than one square of space. When a Burst or Barrage spell is cast on one of these monsters, it will hit the monster plus any surrounding monsters with any square of space standing within a 3x3 zone of the targeted monster's south-westernmost corner square, which is treated as its "origin" square.
While less popular for general training, Ancient Magicks is often used in various player-versus-player activities, such as the TzHaar Fight Pit, Stealing Creation, Castle Wars, Fist of Guthix and Soul Wars. Ice spells, especially Ice Burst and Ice Barrage, are especially popular, due to their freezing effects.
Ancient Magicks are not allowed in Barbarian Assault.
The maximum hits listed here are the spells' base maximum hits, without any modifiers. See here for a list of items that increase the maximum hit of magic spells.
There are four ascending types of spells, these are: Rush, Burst, Blitz and Barrage. For these spell-types are 4 ancient 'elemental' variations for each spell type, in ascending order: Smoke, Shadow, Blood & Ice.
|Icon||Spell||Magic Level||Runes Required||Base Experience||Damage[n 1]||Notes|
|Smoke Rush||50||13||30||480||Reduce the target's chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Shadow Rush||52||13||31||499||Reduce the target's damage dealt by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Blood Rush||56||13||33||535||Heal the caster for 5% of the damage inflicted on the target|
|Ice Rush||58||13||34||556||Immobilises the target for 10 seconds, or 2.4 seconds for players|
|Smoke Burst||62||24||36||595||Reduce the targets' chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Shadow Burst||64||24||37||614||Reduce the targets' damage dealt by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Blood Burst||68||24||39||652||Heal the caster for 5% of the damage inflicted on the main target, and 3% of damage inflicted to others.|
|Ice Burst||70||24||40||672||Immobilises the targets for 10 seconds, or 4.8 seconds for players|
|Smoke Blitz||74||15||42||710||Reduce the target's chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Shadow Blitz||76||15||43||729||Reduce the target's damage dealt by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Blood Blitz||80||15||45||786||Heal the caster for 5% of the damage inflicted on the target|
|Polypore Strike||80||Polypore staff||786||It counts as an air spell.|
|Ice Blitz||82||15||46||787||Immobilises the target for 10 seconds, or 7.2 seconds for players|
|Smoke Barrage||86||25||48||825||Reduce the targets' chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Shadow Barrage||88||25||48||844||Reduce the targets' damage dealt by 5% for 10 seconds|
|Blood Barrage||92||25||51||864||Heal the caster for 5% of the damage inflicted on the main target, and 3% of damage inflicted to others.|
|Ice Barrage||94||25||52||864||Immobilises the targets for 10 seconds, or 9.6 seconds for players|
- ^ A spell's damage scales according to the caster's Magic level and attack speed. See this page for further details.
|Icon||Spell||Magic Level||Runes Required||Experience||Notes|
|Home Teleport||0||None||None||Opens the Home Teleport interface allowing the player to teleport to any lodestone that player has available.|
|Paddewwa Teleport||54||211||64||Teleports to the entrance of Edgeville Dungeon.|
|Senntisten Teleport||60||12||70||Teleports to the Digsite and Senntisten Temple.|
|Kharyrll Teleport||66||12||76||Teleports to Canifis. This is the only teleport spell that can be added to a portal in a player-owned house that is not from the basic spellbook.|
|Lassar Teleport||72||24||82||Teleports to the top of Ice Mountain.|
|Dareeyak Teleport||78||232||88||Teleports to the ruins west of the Bandit Camp in the Wilderness.|
|Carrallanger Teleport||84||22||94||Teleports to the Graveyard of Shadows in the Wilderness.|
|Annakarl Teleport||90||22||100||Teleports to the Demonic Ruins in the Wilderness.|
|Ghorrock Teleport||96||28||106||Teleports to Ice Plateau in the Wilderness.|
All Seren spells are unlocked after completing The Light Within.
Combat spells Edit
|Icon||Spell||Magic Level||Runes Required||Base Experience||Damage||Notes|
|Opal Aurora||75||23||1||803.2||Direct damage spell. Also increases the lifespan of nearby prisms.|
|Sapphire Aurora||77||13||1||822.5||Direct damage spell. Also overcharges nearby prisms, adding useful effects on their next tick.|
|Emerald Aurora||79||13||1||841.8||Direct damage spell. Also applies a stacking 1% damage reduction buff to the caster. Stacks up to 5%, and with other damage reduction methods.|
|Ruby Aurora||81||13||1||851.2||Direct damage spell. Also has a chance to apply a 1% damage buff to nearby allies. Stacks up to 3%.|
Skilling spells Edit
|Icon||Spell||Magic Level||Runes Required||Base Experience||Notes|
|Prism of Restoration||76||626||84||Places a prism which heals nearby familiars and restores their special attack energy, and gives a chance to not use scrolls on familiar special ability use.|
|Intercept||77||233||80||Redirects damage taken by the targeted player over the next three seconds to the caster, and reduces the damage to 95% of the original hit.|
|Prism of Salvation||80||626||89||Places a prism which players can click to teleport near to, as long as there's a clear path between.|
|Prism of Loyalty||82||626||97||Places a prism into which players can funnel life points. Anyone doing so will take damage, and the prism will automatically heal nearby players with 25% or lower life points.|
|Shield Dome||84||333||87||Deploys a static dome that allies can stand within to reduce incoming damage by 50%. Domes cannot be layered on top of each other, and new shield domes affecting a player within 2 minutes have diminishing returns.|
|Prism of Dowsing||86||3333||103||Places a prism which attracts wisps to it and increases the chance of drawing enriched wisps. All nearby players can benefit from this.|
|Crystallise||88||6666||95||When cast on mining, fishing or woodcutting spots - or full box traps - will cause the resource to persist for 30 seconds, yield no resources and give increased XP rounded to 50%. Other players may still deplete the resource, but Crystallise will carry on when the resource is back.|
|Rapid Growth||88||3333||95||Skips a tree, fruit tree or herb patch forward a growth stage. Usable once per day on each eligible farming location.|
|Crystal Mask||90||4567||112||Gives +15% to pickpocketing chance and gives a chance to avoid damage and stun on failure for 5 minutes.|
|Spellbook Swap||96||123||1||Gives the ability to cast 1 spell from the Lunar or regular spellbook.|
- Before the release of the Seren spells, the only combination runes useful for the Ancient Magicks were Smoke runes, as the Paddewwa and Dareeyak Teleports were the only spells to use more than one elemental rune.
- On the day of release, these spells had a glitch where every spell, along with the original effects, would freeze opponents.
- The animation of the Daemonheim teleport that can be done with the Ring of Kinship is similar to (except for the colour) the Ancient Magicks teleport - and looks similar to the Pharaoh's sceptre's teleport animation. This may suggest a common (teleportation) principle or origin.
- Each Ancient Magicks spell has a unique sound.
- The Dungeoneering spellbook includes spells from both the regular and Lunar spellbooks, but none from the Ancient Magicks spellbook.
- If your membership expires whilst the Ancient Magicks spellbook activated then it will return to the regular spellbook, even when you re-activate your membership.
- During the early stages of the Evolution of Combat, the spells were called Gale, Rock, Bloodfire and Ice respectively, and Miasmic spells were removed. Before the Evolution of Combat, all the spells had different effects too: Smoke poisoned the target (poison damage has been removed), Shadow lowered the target's Attack, Blood healed you for 25% (now only 5%) of damage inflicted by you on your opponent, and Ice's freezing time varied depending on how strong the spell was (now all Ice spells freeze for 10 seconds when cast on NPC's and varies depending on spell with players), and Miasmic halved melee and ranged attack speed. In early 2014, the name changes were reverted, but the effects were not.
|Part 7 of the God quest series • Part 3 of the Enchanted key quest series • Related to the Elf quest series|