"Ac" redirects here. For the skillcape, see Attack cape.
The Ancient Curses are a set of prayers obtained as a reward after completing The Temple at Senntisten. They consist of prayers ranging between levels 50 - 95 Prayer. Prayers of this set include combat skill boosts, stat drainers, and damage recoilers.
When players complete the quest "The Temple at Senntisten" and have read from the Ancient Hymnal, they will be given access to the Altar of Zaros. Praying at this altar gives players a 15% boost to their overall prayer level and the option to switch between standard prayers and the Ancient Curses. The altar is located at Senntisten Temple (under the Digsite).
While the Ancient Curses are active, praying at any altar restores prayer as normal and also gives the option to revert to standard prayers. This option may be toggled off.
The deflection Ancient Curses immediately became popular to those with the required prayer levels, as they act like the normal protection prayers, with the same drain rate, with the bonus of deflecting some damage back to the opponent.
|Protect Item||50||If this curse is active it allows you to keep an additional item when you die. Also available on Normal Prayers.||1 point every 1.8 seconds||&|
|Sap Warrior||50||Drains enemy , and by 10%, increasing to 20% over time.||1 point every 0.24 seconds||+|
|Sap Ranger||52||Drains enemy and by 10%, increasing to 20% over time.||1 point every 0.24 seconds||+|
|Sap Mage||54||Drains enemy and by 10%, increasing to 20% over time.||1 point every 0.24 seconds||+|
|Sap Spirit||56||Drain enemy special attack energy (10% at a time, every couple hits).||1 point every 0.24 seconds||+|
|Berserker||59||Boosted combat stats last 15% longer.||1 point every 1.8 seconds||&|
|Deflect Summoning||62||Protect against damage from attacks and Summoning scrolls and can deflect some damage back.||1 point every 0.3 seconds||=|
|Deflect Magic||65||Protects against damage from attacks and can deflect some damage back onto the attacker.||1 point every 0.3 seconds||%~|
|Deflect Missiles||68||Protects against damage from attacks and can deflect some damage back onto the attacker.||1 point every 0.3 seconds||%~|
|Deflect Melee||71||Protects against damage from attacks and can deflect some damage back onto the attacker.||1 point every 0.3 seconds||%~|
|Leech Attack||74||Boosts by 5%, increasing to 10% over time, draining enemy's by 10%, increasing to 25% over time.||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Ranged||76||Boosts by 5%, increasing to 10% over time, draining enemy's by 10%, increasing to 25% over time.||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Magic||78||Boosts by 5%, increasing to 10% over time, draining enemy's by 10%, increasing to 25% over time.||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Defence||80||Boosts by 5%, increasing to 10% over time, draining enemy's by 10%, increasing to 25% over time.||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Strength||82||Boosts by 5%, increasing to 10% over time, draining enemy's by 10%, increasing to 25% over time.||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Energy||84||Steals an enemy's Run Energy and restores it to the player. (10% every couple hits)||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Leech Special Attack||86||Steals an enemy's Special Attack Energy and restores it to the player. (10% every couple hits)||1 point every 0.36 seconds||+|
|Wrath||89||Deals damage of up to 250% of your Prayer level to all nearby enemies in a 5x5 radius upon death. Note that this curse will not hurt other players outside of PvP areas, and it won't hit multiple targets in non-multicombat zones.||1 point every 1.2 seconds||%|
|Soul Split||92||Heals the player by 20% of the damage dealt, and lowers the enemy's prayer by 20% of the hit. Unaffected by protection prayers. Healing effect of Blood Spells stacks with Soul Split.||1 point every 0.2 seconds||%|
|Turmoil||95|| +15% +15% of enemy's level|
+15% +15% of enemy's level
+23% +10% of enemy's level
|1 point every 0.2 seconds (0.3 seconds with castle wars halo equipped)||+|
- ~ Like the 'Protect from' prayers, Deflect curses stop 100% of damage caused by most NPCs and 40% of damage caused by other players (in PvP).
- + These curses can be used with the Deflect, Wrath, and Soul Split curses, and others of the same type (e.g. Sap Warrior and Sap Mage), but Sap and Leech curses cannot be used at the same time, Turmoil follows the same rules except it cannot be used with Sap or Leech curses.
- = Deflect Summoning can be used with other Deflect Curses, but not with Wrath, or Soul Split.
- % These curses cannot be used at the same time
- & These curses can be used with any others
Total level: 990
The table shows a list of all the skill levels that a player needs to have to be able to use the Ancient Curses. They are required in The Temple at Senntisten and all quests below it. The skill levels stated here are the minimum required, but boosts can be used.
The following quests are all requirements, directly and indirectly, for The Temple at Senntisten (indirectly meaning they are requirements of requirements of The Temple at Senntisten, and so on). These quests must be completed unless stated otherwise.
- 125 Kudos
- Must have completed the Abyss miniquest or have a Law Altar Teleport Tablet from the Great Orb Project.
- Must have completely restored Senliten's tomb.
Switching Between Prayers and Curses
The only altar that can activate the Ancient Curses is the Zarosian altar in the temple beneath the Digsite. After completing the elite Falador Tasks players can use an Ancient Hymnal on the altar in the White Knights' Castle to convert it to Zaros, allowing for activation of the Curses from that altar as well. Players can switch to the standard prayerbook again at any altar by default. One may choose to remove the option to switch to the standard prayerbook at normal altars. This will prevent the option menu from appearing, but to use the standard prayerbook again, the player will have to travel to the Digsite altar (or the Falador one). When the player has removed the option to revert to the standard prayerbook from normal altars, they may restore it at the Zarosian altars.
- When Deflect Curses were first introduced, the player stopped moving when the Deflection animation appeared, but Jagex has since resolved this. This used to make using these prayers extremely dangerous in situations where it is necessary to keep moving, such as in the Saradomin room in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Using more than one Sap Curse does NOT stack defence drain.
- You can have multiple Sap or Leech Curses active at the same time (e.g. Sap Mage, Sap Warrior and Sap Ranger), but you cannot have any Sap and Leech Curses active at the same time (e.g. you cannot have Sap Ranger and Leech Attack active together).
- The release of Ancient Curses caused a large increase in the price of most bones, as many players wished to train Prayer to access these curses.
- Ancient Curses may not be used within the Warriors' Guild or while playing Barbarian Assault.
- When using a Sap Curse on an enemy whose lowest part is higher than the belly of a creature a player's size (as the Curse lands there), such as a ghast, the Curse will go up trying to find its target.
- The icon of the Deflect Curses resemble the icon of the corresponding skill (e.g. Deflect Melee resembles the icon for Attack, and Deflect Summoning resembles the Summoning icon), except for the Deflect Missiles Curse, which resembles the Fletching icon instead of the Ranged icon.
Fixed glitches and other odd behaviour
- On the day of the release multiple glitches were found including players who had completed Dwarf Cannon having it appear in the "In progress" area of the quest guide. This has since been fixed.
- Within the first few hours of release, it was possible to have multiple Deflect Curses active at once (e.g. having Deflect Magic and Deflect Missiles active at the same time). This was quickly fixed by Jagex.
- When it was first released, there was a glitch with Turmoil where you could have a maximum of +31% Defence.