|Release||4 August 2010 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||No|
|Examine||The holy book of a forgotten god.|
The Ancient Book is a book held in the pocket slot, and is the God book aligned with Zaros. It can be purchased from Jossik for 5,000 coins after completion of the Horror From The Deep quest along with The Dig Site quest. Although, if a player has any other god books, (such as a Saradomin's Book of Wisdom) those books must be filled up with their pages before you can obtain any other type of book from Jossik. Ancient books must be made using all four torn Ancient pages which can be purchased from other players, obtained from treasure trails or by cremating a Vyrewatch. Equipping an Ancient book allows the player to preach and perform ceremonies, such as blessing, last rites, and wedding rites by operating it (none of which have any effect on the game itself, and are simply recited lines of text).
It is worth noting that the book's pages sound as if they were written recently, since the book talks about followers of Zaros being oppressed - while when Zaros was in power, he had great influence and many followers. It has the same inventory image as the Book of the Gods. Despite being a Zaros-aligned item, equipping this book offers no protection within the God Wars Dungeon.
Lost Ancient books can be reclaimed at the Lighthouse by speaking to Jossik, or from a player-owned house bookcase, complete with all pages that have been added, for 100,000 coins. However, the book will lose all its remaining charges, requiring the player to add additional pages in order to activate the passive effect.
After completion of One Piercing Note, if the book has all four pages, it can be used to create an Illuminated Ancient Book and unlock the god book off-hand override. This requires 60 Crafting and 60 Prayer, and grants 10,000 Prayer and 10,000 Crafting experience (for the first time only). The ancient book is not consumed in the process.
Filling the Ancient Book with all pages currently costs 925,175 coins.
|Accuracy||-||-||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|[FAQ] • [doc]|
The ancient book can be activated like scrimshaw to provide a passive combat effect. The book can be recharged with any ancient page, giving 45 minutes of active time per page. This is shared, unchanged, with the illuminated book.
The passive has a 5% chance per hit to activate. When it activates, icicles hit and surround the target, dealing 120-200% damage (PvP: 40-120%) and binding the target for 4 seconds. This is based on Nex's ice prison attack.
- Ye faithful and loyal to the Great Lord, May ye together succeed in your deeds, Ye are now joined by the greatest power.
- Thy faith faltered, no power could save thee. Like the Great Lord, one day you shall rise again.
- By day or night, in defeat or victory, The power of the Great Lord be with thee.
- Though your enemies wish to silence thee, Do not falter, defy them to the end. Power to the Great Lord!
- The followers of the Great Lord are few, But they are powerful and mighty. Power to the Great Lord!
- Follower of the Great Lord be relieved: One day your loyalty will be rewarded. Power to the Great Lord!
- Pray for the day that the Great Lord rises; It is that day thou shalt be rewarded. Power to the Great Lord!
- Oppressed thou art, but fear not: The day will come when the Great Lord rises. Power to the Great Lord!
- Fighting oppression is the wisest way, To prove your worth to the Great Lord. Power to the Great Lord!
- Prior to 22 February 2016, this book used to be held in the off-hand slot.
- The Book of War and the Ancient Book are the only two that do not mention the God's name when reading from them.
|Illuminated god books||
|Part 2 of the Fremennik quest series|