|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||A shrine to the glory of Saradomin.|
An altar is interactive scenery that allows a player to recharge their Prayer points. By clicking on it, the player will kneel by the altar and it will recharge their prayer points. To locate an altar, look for the altar icon () on the world map or minimap.
- Inside the Lumbridge Church, south of the Lumbridge Castle
- In Varrock, in the church in the north-east corner of the city
- In the Chaos Temple at level 12 Wilderness, south-east of the Graveyard of Shadows
- The Prayer Guild, upstairs in the Edgeville Monastery, just west of Edgeville. It can only be entered by players with a Prayer level of 31. Praying at the altar boosts the player's prayer points 20 above their regular amount.
- In East Ardougne, north of the General Store.
- The Monastery south of Ardougne
- Eastern border of Tirannwn, inside the western entrance of the Underground Pass, next to the Well of Voyage
- Paterdomus temple on the River Salve
- The Gorilla Statue in the temple in north-east Ape Atoll
- The Altar of nature in Mort Myre Swamp. It can only be upon completing Nature Spirit. Praying at the altar boosts the player's prayer points 20 above their regular amount.
- In Seers' Village. When wearing the Seers' headband 3, praying at the Seers' Village altar also boosts your prayer points 20 points above your regular amount.
- The sulphur spring in Oo'glog restores prayer points and boosts them 70 points above the normal prayer level. It can only be used on completion of As a First Resort...).
- Altars in generals' rooms in God Wars Dungeon can be used only every ten minutes while not in combat. Wearing an item of the corresponding god will increase the Prayer points by ten per item (Example: Player with 99 Prayer and wearing Bandos chestplate, tassets, boots and godsword praying at a Bandos altar would get 1030 Prayer points).
- The desert-god statues located in Uzer Mastaba during and after Missing My Mummy.
- The Altar of Zaros located underneath the Digsite can be used to switch your prayer to the Ancient Curses. It can be accessed after the The Temple at Senntisten quest. In addition to switching prayers, it will also boost your prayer points by 15%.
- The Vampyric altar in Darkmeyer, which looks like a statue of a Gargoyle.
- The altar in the White Knight's Castle in Falador, after completion of the Falador Elite Tasks gives the option to convert it to a Zaros Altar which allows players to Ancient Curses and boosts prayer points up to 2 points above what normal.
These altars are reasonably accessible by "fast" transportation means, such as teleportations.
|Altar Location||Fast Transport Method|
|Kandarin Monastery south of Ardougne||The Ardougne cloak 1 may be used to teleport directly to it. It is also possible to use the fairy ring code D•J•P to the Tower of Life and then go west to the monastery.|
|Church at Lumbridge||The church is very close to the Lumbridge lodestone.|
|Altar in Lletya||An crystal teleport seed can be used to teleport very close to the altar.|
|Chapel room of player's house||If the player has built an altar in their home, the Teleport to House can be used to quickly reach it.|
|Sulphur spring in Oo'glog||Using the Oo'glog lodestone, the pool is only a short distance away.|
- Previously, the Altar of Chaos did not recharge prayer points fully. It restored 2 less (now equivalent to 20) prayer points than the player's maximum. Having 2 or less maximum Prayer would fully recharge your points, however.
- Altars located in a player's house can be used to train Prayer. Simply use any bones on an altar in a Player-owned house to gain experience. When you use bones on a player's altar it will say, "The gods are very pleased with your offering", "The gods are pleased with your offering" or "The gods accept your offering". Altars inside Daemonheim work similar to that in a Player-owned house, giving four times the experience received from burying.
- If a player uses an item on an altar, a message appears saying "You fear the wrath of the gods!" However, this will not happen at the altar to Seren in Lletya or the Vampyric altar in Darkmeyer.
- There was an altar in the basement of the Wizard's Tower before its graphical update on 28 November 2012. While it still existed, it was used in the Restless Ghost quest. After a patch note update, it had no use until its removal.