Air rune running (also known as Air running) is the interaction between two groups of players - crafters (also known as assisters), who create from between 1x Air runes to 10x Air runes and runners, who bring rune essence to the crafters at the Air altar.
Both parties benefit in different ways. The runecrafters get fast exp and the returners get gold. Air Running is now profitable by the runners. As they get paid to bring airs (2k-10k payment given for every set). Air rune running was previously a very profitable venture, however the shop update of 9 September 2009, which removed the price cap on water runes allowing them to increase to above 40 coins each, allowed Water rune running to be more profitable than Air rune running. The nearest bank to the Air altar is the Varrock west bank. It is very close and there are not any faster methods in which people will air rune run.
The official Air rune running world is World 16. * World is now member's only Bonfires*
What To Bring/RequirementsEdit
Completion of the Rune Mysteries quest helps but is Not required, but is recommended for the guild.
- Air tiara (or air talisman) - Tiaras and talismans are not needed if you use the Abyss.
- Rune essence, unnoted. Pure essence can be used, but it is more expensive and running is hardly ever profitable if Pure essence is used. (It is recommended that you bring at least 25, as this is the amount of inventory spaces that crafters usually have open, give the noted essence, air runes and money.)
- Pouches - Optional; can only be used when air rune running takes place on a Members world, and increase the amount of essence which can be carried per trip. A Small Pouch holds 3 essence, a Medium Pouch carries 6 essence, a Large Pouch carries 9 essence, and a Giant pouch carries 12 essence. However, pouches are obsolete when Air running, as the official world for this is on World 16, a Free-play world (It is now a Member's world).
- Teleport (Optional). Varrock Teleport Tabs for members are useful, but are obsolete on the Free-play air running world. Runes for Varrock Teleport can be used, but it's not recommended as this takes up inventory space and some crafters will not accept less than 25 essence. The fastest route is to run to Varrock west bank and stash the noted essence, withdrawing 25 more unnoted.
- Air tiara (or air talisman) or Air Runecrafting Staff- Tiaras and talismans are not needed if you use the Abyss.
- Runecraft cape if you have one. It shows that you have 99 Runecrafting and can craft 10 runes per essence, and would therefore be willing to pay a larger sum of money for the runners' service.
- Dress well with good armour and advertise your Runecrafting Level and say 'Open' which means you are ready to assist a runner. (Open and then put a certain amount of coins you want to get more attention. Recommended more than 500 gp.)
Once players have the essence, the final task is to enter the Air altar.
To request assistance from crafters already standing there, players should look for crafters that are standing around saying "open" or "assisting", and they should then proceed right clicking on the crafter and choosing the "req assist" option. After the crafter has accepted the assistance request, the player may then proceed to the air altar to craft air runes, giving experience points to the assister.
It is also possible to train runecrafting in lower levels with a minimal profit. The player should first check how much loss they have(if any) for the amount of essence they turn into runes from the table below. One should then go to the air altar with 25 rune essence and look for a player who says "Open #k and ess", which means that the player is willing to trade 26 rune essence for 26 noted essence and #k coins. If no players are available, the player can look for a player who has a high runecrafting level, preferably 88+, that is willing to assist other players. The player can then check from the table below how much profit they are going to have from this, and then use the other players and craft the runes themselves by changing their way of runecrafting so that they are not losing any money.
Air Running for Profit- Easy ExplanationEdit
Enter the Air altar with 25 unnoted rune essence (this is the standard unit amount of essence to run with). If on the air running world, you will more than likely see players standing around or crafting runes while advertising "open." "Open" can mean several things, depending on the phrase following it. When trading with an open crafter they might not want 25 unnoted rune essence, trade them the number of ess that they have space for which is visible in the trade screen.
- "Open #x" or "Open assisting #x" means that they are willing to assist players who Request Assistance of them and that their Runecrafting level enables you to craft # runes per essence.
- "Open #k" means that they are willing to trade you #k coins for your 25 unnoted essence. Sometimes this can also mean the next item on the list, so wait for them to accept the trade first to see what they are going to give you.
- "Open #k and ess" means that the crafter is willing to give you #k coins and 25 noted essence (rune is more common, but some players offer pure) for your 25 unnoted essence, enabling you to exchange that 25 noted for 25 more unnoted essence and repeat the cycle. Sometimes the "and ess" part is left off, so wait for the crafter to accept the trade first or they might not get the chance to give you essence back. Most people will pay 5k ess back, meaning you don't have to stock up many essences.
- "Open #k and runes" is usually heard from a crafter that has been at the altar a while and is either low on cash, overloaded with Air runes, or freeing up an inventory space and is giving away both money and Air runes in exchange for 25 unnoted essence. This is usually still paired with essence back to continue the cycle.
Profits The price ranges for running runes vary according to time of day and competition between crafters to get the most runners, and therefore, the most XP. The prices go from a low 1k up to anywhere as high as 15k per run. The average price is from 3-6k coins. The more reasonable the price, the more likely that there will be ess back. For example, if John is open 4k, he'll be more likely to give ess back than Bill who's offering 7k per run. The extra cash is sometimes a make-up for the fact that you have to buy more essence. 500 spare essence in your bank is recommended for times when the crafter does not give back ess.
It's always good to go for the highest price open, but this may slow down some runs for the wait time (many players trading high payer). As the table shows, even after 30 runs a single 1,000 coins can make a substantial impact on profits. Calculations are with 30 runs. (Average 2 minutes per run, a little over an hour.)
- The calculations use real-time prices from the Grand Exchange Market Watch. For more information, see Grand Exchange Market Watch/Runecrafting.
This example assumes that the Runner is carrying 25 Rune essence to the Runecrafter. It also assumed that the assister can make 10x Air runes (level 99 Runecrafting required). Also, you don't need quest points to "bypass"the trading system anymore thanks to the Feb,1 2011 update with free trade.
- Runner: 25 Rune essence at 51 ea = 1,275 coins
- Runecrafter: 10 x 25 Air runes at 13 ea = 3,250 coins
- Wealth transfer (to runner): 1,975 coins
You can also ask the runecrafter to assist you.
- See Grand Exchange Market Watch/Runecrafting for current prices, or to update outdated prices.
Selling Air RunesEdit
Air runes are always in demand, due to their use in casting many spells. While market price is constantly fluctuating, Air runes currently sell for 13 coins in the Grand Exchange. The table below shows the profit runecrafters can make in Air Running.
* These columns assume that you mine the rune essence yourself.
Methods of TransportEdit
Walking/Running (on foot)Edit
Due to an update, it is now possible to rest and listen to the musician playing about halfway between the altar and the bank and increase your profit/hour.
Because of an update, you can now use the Explorers Ring, which lets you recharge your run energy. This can only be done 3 times a day (Every 24 hrs.).
- 50 runecrafting level is required to gain access to the runecrafting guild.
- Air talisman,Air tiara,Air talisman staff, or an item that allows access to the air altar. (The tablets only teleport you outside of the altar)
- Although you will most likely use less than 20% energy per trip, it would be nice to wear some weight reducing gear.
- A form of teleportation to a location close to a bank.
- Using the air altar tablet to teleport right outside the altar. These can be purchased from the The Great Orb Project. This is by far the fastest method, though it does require time to gain more tablets from time to time.
- You can also use any type of pouch and bring an amount of energy restore potions equivalent to the amount of essence the pouch will hold.