|Release date||17 March 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||3 coins|
|Low Alch||2 coins|
|Store price|| 17 coins|
|Exchange price||14 coins (info)|
|Examine||One of the 4 basic elemental Runes.|
Air runes are one of the four basic elemental runes. They are the most basic and most common runes in RuneScape. All players with a Runecrafting level of 1 can craft air runes at the air altar west of Varrock. Crafting air runes provides 5 Runecrafting experience per rune or pure essence used (140 xp for an entire inventory).
Air runes are used in most missile spells as well as most teleportation spells. They are used very often, so players should have a large supply of air runes at hand if practicing magic, or an air staff to have an infinite supply. Air staves can be bought from Zaff's Superior Staves in Varrock.
The magic tutor in Lumbridge formerly supplied players with 30 air runes and 30 mind runes, provided that players had no runes in their inventory or bank, and it has been 30 minutes since they last claimed items from either the magic or ranged tutor, though this feature has since been removed. Now, all players can obtain 30 air and mind runes that Aubury of Varrock samples instead; after a half hour, one can re-obtain all 30 air and mind runes.
The maximum likely limit for crafting air runes in one air altar visit is 788. This would be achieved by having 99 Runecrafting (giving a 10x bonus) and carrying 78 essence to craft (23 in the normal inventory, 48 in the 5 sizes of Runecrafting pouch and 7 with any abyssal summoning creature) whilst wearing an explorer's ring, which generally has a 1 in 10 chance of creating an extra rune per essence. It is possible that a few extra air runes could be gained from the use of the explorer's ring.
Air runes are needed in a vast amount of spells, as shown by the list below. Because most spells require air runes, many mages will instead use a staff of air, air battlestaff, Caitlin's staff, Mindspike (air) or mystic air staff.
All players can cast these spells.
Only members can cast these spells:
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Black demon 140 50 Common Abyssal demon 146 50 Common Aquanite 136 40 Common Spiritual mage 140 4–13 Common Guard 26, 36, 50 6 Common
This item can also be bought or sold at:
- Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock
- Baba Yaga's Magic Shop on Lunar Isle (1000 in stock)
- Betty's Magic Emporium in Port Sarim
- Magic Guild in Yanille
- Void Knights' outpost
- The most air runes required for a spell are 30, for the Charge Air Orb spell.
- Air runes are the most used rune type in the game.
- There were once 3 air rune spawns, which players used to pick up and sell at the general store, behind Luthas' house in Karamja. This has now been changed to one spawn.
- Air runecrafting gloves can be used to double the XP for air Runecrafting.
- The value of 1 air rune in Investment Credits in Mobilising Armies is 6 Investment Credits.
- The air altar was originally located south of Falador.
- Like many other runes, the image for the air rune was changed in a hidden update on the 9th of June 2010.
- There was a glitch where players could get large amounts of free air and mind runes from Aubury's rune shop in World 21. The free samples spawn rate was so fast that some players made millions in minutes. This bug was fixed the next day.
- You can only buy 25,000 air runes per 4 hours on the Grand Exchange.
- The air rune is very similar to the Armadyl rune, with only the colour of the symbol changing from white to green.