|Location on World Map|
The Air Altar may be found west of Varrock, east of the River Lum, and close to the bridge near Gunnarsgrunn. It is used to craft air runes from rune essence or pure essence, providing 5 Runecrafting experience.
As with most other Runecrafting altars, it can be accessed via the Abyss. Players could also enter its ruins by using an air talisman, an elemental talisman, or an omni-talisman. Players could also simply click on the ruins while wearing an air tiara, omni-tiara, a wicked hood imbued with any of the above, an omni-talisman staff, or an air talisman staff.
Currently, the fastest way to get there is to used the wicked hood's teleport, which could only be used 2 times, or 3 if all the wicked robes have been purchased from the Runespan. The second fastest way is to break an air altar teleport tablet. Both of these methods teleport the player just outside of the altar. The wicked hood can be obtained by talking to Tam McGrubor, and the teleport tablets by playing the Great Orb Project.
The maximum likely limit for crafting air runes in one visit is 2,530. This would be achieved by having 99 Runecrafting, giving a 10x bonus, and carrying 253 essence to craft (23 in the normal inventory along with 48 in the 5 sizes of Runecrafting pouches, along with 175 claimed from the wicked hood (if all the wicked robes have been purchased, and 7 from any abyssal Summoning familiar), whilst wearing an explorer's ring (which has a 1 in 10 chance of producing an extra rune per essence). The maximum possible experience is 2,530 obtained doing the above while wearing air runecrafting gloves.
It is possible to make mist runes, dust runes, and smoke runes while at this altar, but at a lower success rate. This will result in less runes than normal being made. To make a combination rune, the player needs one set of elemental runes, a stack of pure essence, and 2 talismans.
|To make...||You need...|
|Mist runes||Water talisman||Water runes||Pure essence|
|Dust runes||Earth talisman||Earth runes|
|Smoke runes||Fire talisman||Fire runes|
If the player equips a binding necklace, the success rate will increase to 100%. It has a total of 15 uses before breaking. A charge is used each time a combination rune is used, instead of each time the altar is entered.
- Using the orb of oculus, it is possible to see the Mind Altar to the west, an infinite grass plane to the south-west (similar to the grass in the player-owned house), and the Rune Essence mine to the east. However, it is not possible to see the Air Altar from the Rune Essence mine.
- In the past, if you tried to use a sextant at the Air Altar, a message would appear saying: You are in level 56 Wilderness. This suggests that the location of the Air Altar on the map is adjacent to the Wilderness, in the same way that the Air and Mind Altars are near each other.
- Before 17 September 2009, the Air Altar was situated south of Falador, where the Clan Camp is now.
- Another rabbit has been added at the Air Altar, it is located north in the trees. It is Level 2. It IS possible to attack it; stand at the northern edge of the altar hill, wait for the rabbit to come at the bottom of the hill, or just a few squares back and, for example, cast the best air spell you can with air runes you crafted. This gives 33 experience.
- On 17 August 2011, the Air Altar received a graphical update, along with the trees outside the altar, which added a beam of light that hit the altar. However, this update was disliked by many players, particularly those who frequently played the Great Orb Project due to the lighting making it difficult to see.
- On 23 August 2011, Jagex reworked the lighting in the Air Altar and released the graphical update along with the new rewards for minigames update.
- It is possible to hear the sound of waves from the Air Altar, despite the fact there is no water immediately visible.
- The "Temple of Air" (the name given to the actual Runecrafting area) is situated on top of a high mountain. There are several rabbits near the base of the mountain. To leave, simply walk through the portal back to Varrock.