Aggressiveness is a trait in monsters that determines attitude towards players in their vicinity. Aggressive monsters will target players nearby on their own to initiate combat. Only one aggressive monster will initiate combat at a time. For some entities, aggressiveness is negated after a certain period of time, by being a high enough combat level, or by wearing a certain item or set; for others, aggressiveness can never be negated. A monster that is not aggressive is tolerant.
Most monsters will keep their focus on a single player; however, some monsters have an aggression that regularly refreshes, targeting different players each time. Examples of monsters which do this are vitali and the Corporeal Beast.
Monsters that become tolerantEdit
Over time, almost every aggressive monster can become tolerant of a player. This docility usually happens after 5-10 minutes of staying in the vicinity of the monsters. Monsters that have already spawned and targeted a player do not become docile, but newly spawned monsters will not be aggressive. Docility will only reset if the player moves too far out of their tolerance range.
With level Edit
Monsters will not be aggressive to players who are double that monster's combat level. For example, a level 51 moss giant will not be aggressive towards players who are combat level 102 and higher. As the maximum combat level that players can achieve is 138, aggressive monsters level 70 or greater will always be aggressive to players.
Without the required items, all monsters listed here will never become tolerant of a player after a period of time, except for living rock creatures.
- Monkeys, gorillas, and wildlife on Ape Atoll become tolerant of players who are disguised as a monkey by wielding a greegree.
- Soldiers in the Black Knights' Catacombs become tolerant of players wearing elite black armour or dagon'hai robes.
- Vyres become tolerant of players wearing a full Darkmeyer outfit
- Revenants become tolerant of players who activate a Forinthry brace (they may still try to attack players if they aren't in their view, but return to normal once they see the player)
- Living rock creatures become tolerant of players wearing a full magic golem outfit
- Non-magical humans/humanoids in Daemonheim become tolerant of players with a shadow silk hood equipped. However, forgotten mages, necromancers and Reborn mages can remove the effects of the shadow silk hood temporarily.
- Wearing the respective god-aligned items in the God Wars Dungeon. Only the Zarosian faction will be aggressive towards players, apart from one item (see below).
- With the Shard of Zaros equipped, both Muspah and Nihils on Freneskae become tolerant of the player. The footsoldiers of the Zarosian army in the God Wars Dungeon will also become tolerant to the player.
- Customs Officers become tolerant of players wearing Customs Officer's uniform.
- Wearing the respective faction's insignia will make that faction's soldiers tolerant of the player in The Heart.
That never become tolerantEdit
- Most bosses and their minions
- Most monsters in the wilderness
- Most monsters in Daemonheim
- Tormented demons
- Al Kharid warriors and Kharidian Desert bandits will become aggressive to players that are attacking a fellow comrade near them.
- Wilderness bandits will be aggressive to players who enter their camp without a skull on them.
- Orks in the God Wars Dungeon will become aggressive to players who have slain another ork, regardless if they are wearing Bandos or Zaros-affiliated item(s) on them.
- Dwarves in the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield become aggressive towards players that attack another dwarf on their side. This aggressiveness subsides as normal.
- Monsters in the Kharazi Jungle become aggressive to players who swing a bull roarer near them.
- Rorarii become aggressive towards players who target another rorarius. This only applies to rorarius that are attacked by the player at full health.
- Activating a Scrimshaw of aggression or Scrimshaw of corruption will cause all monsters to behave as aggressive.
- Drinking a dose of Aggression potion will cause monsters to behave as aggressive for the 6-minute duration of the potion.
- Ripper demons will become aggressive towards players whose life points are at 35% or lower of their maximum life points.