Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Release||23 November 2015 (Update)|
|Large, noble and wooly. He's still going to smush you into paste.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|150 / 100 / 50|
|5 ticks (3.0s)|
Acheron mammoths are level 96 Slayer monsters. They were first revealed at RuneFest 2015, after being pitched on RuneLabs and being one of the November poll winners. They drop mammoth tusks, which can be used to make the level 99 Summoning pack mammoth Beast of Burden pouch.
Several Acheron mammoths inhabit an iceberg that has been separated from Acheron, far north of the Fremennik Province. This can be reached by using the large Fremennik ship on the pier north-east of Rellekka (left-click on the ship on the west side of the pier: "Travel Fremennik ship"; do not use the boat on the east side of the pier), near the rock crabs.
Acheron mammoths utilise adrenaline and can use the abilities Smash, Sever, Freedom, and Pulverise along with a basic melee autoattack, all of which can deal around 2000 damage at maximum. When using Freedom, mammoths will announce it by shouting "Freedom!" However, their Freedom does not cancel bleeds. Mammoths appear to use Smash as their first attack most often.
They have a ranged attack where they will grab a chunk of ice from the ground with their trunk and launch it at the player's last location. This attack can deal over 4000 damage, and is 100% accurate. If the player moves just as the ice chunk falls to the player's last position was thrown, they will take damage. The mammoth can simultaneously perform a melee attack while in the middle of the ranged attack's animation.
They will stomp challengers that get under them for upwards of 3800 typeless damage, with a bright red message in the game box stating that they have stomped you.
They can disable all prayers, which occurs when you attack the mammoth and prevent it from attacking you; the mammoth launches three ice chunks in a wide radius around the player's location. When this happens, a message will appear in the game box stating "Your dishonourable misconduct angers the gods, who refuse to listen to your prayers any longer." This attack can deal over 4000 damage, and is 100% accurate. As with the standard ranged attack, this attack may be avoided by moving far enough from your initial location.
When fighting using Ranged or Magic attacks, mammoths will continuously use a ranged stunning attack. This will cause your run energy to be depleted, along with the deactivation of your prayers and a 5 second freeze. Freedom and Anticipation work against this freeze. It is recommended to fight them with melee so this attack does not occur.
Occasionally, the mammoths will stop attacking and have a charge-like animation. In addition, a blue bar will appear above the mammoth and fill up within 5 seconds. As the info bar may block the view of the blue bar, it is advised to move it away from the screen and put it somewhere that can be easily seen but not affect your interface. When the blue bar is filled, the mammoth will charge at your last position up to three times in a row, dealing up to 8000 damage per charge. The player should be extremely careful if they use Berserk, as the mammoth can potentially kill the player in one charge if the damage is completely taken.
The mammoth is still vulnerable to attacks during this time, so if its health is low enough, players can kill the mammoth before it can charge again. The charge attack does standard melee damage, so it has a chance of missing, and is affected by protect/deflect melee.
- The charge is a simple area of effect attack. Moving out of the mammoth's path when it charges will avoid all damage. A simple way to avoid this is to run perpendicular to its path as it is about to charge. The mammoth's initial location does not appear to be part of the charge path.
- Activating Protect from or Deflect Melee and using the Devotion ability will reduce damage from the attack completely. The 10-second timer of Devotion is long enough to last 3 consecutive charges.
- Tanking and healing
- With a shield available, the first charge can be tanked as a normal attack, and after equipping your shield, Resonance can be used to provide high heals to restore lost life points. This method has its downsides, however. There is no lower limit to the damage the charge can deal, so it is possible, for example, to take a 6,000-damage hit and then heal for only 500 life points.
- If a mammoth performs a third charge, this will need to be avoided another way, advisably by simply running out of its path. If after the second charge you have full life points, you can also opt to simply endure this third hit; this may be risky if the attack hits too high.
- Using Debilitate in tandem with Protect from Melee or Deflect Melee reduces the damage taken even further.
- Stunning the mammoth during its charge will delay the attack. While mammoths have the ability to escape the stun, they will take a moment to recuperate before continuing to build for the attack. Stunning the mammoth with abilities such as Destroy can provide extra thinking time to prepare to dodge or counter the attack. If the mammoth's life points are low enough, it can also kill the mammoth before it has a chance to attack.
Starting a fightEdit
When initiating a fight with an Acheron mammoth, the player automatically says one of the following lines:
- En garde!
- Good sir, I challenge you to a duel.
- I challenge thee to a duel.
- I mock your ancestors!
- I'd throw down my gloves, but they're rather pricey.
- Let's do this!
- Mammoth! I challenge you!
- Manners maketh man
- Round one: FIGHT!
The mammoth will then respond with one of their lines respective to what the player said:
- That's my job!
- Ahaa as you wish.
- I accept your challenge! or My name is...
- I'm sorry you feel the need to throw your life away.
- Yours are not even worthy of that.
- You're going to need them to defeat me!
- I trust you have a good note about how your remains will be handled?
- Prepare to join your ancestors!
- Are we going to stand here talking, or are we going to fight?
- Erm... yes?
Occasionally, mammoths will initiate fights by saying "My name is <name>!" When this happens, it will also change their name label to the name they said.
Known names include:
|Represents a 90% confidence range.|
Based on a sample of 200 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
Add data to the log
|Adamantite ore||9–16 (noted)||Common||12,960–23,040|
|Water talisman||3–5 (noted)||Common||18,462–30,770|
|Water orb||8–12 (noted)||Common||24,128–36,192|
|Mahogany logs||20–40 (noted)||Uncommon||10,200–20,400|
|Blue dragonhide||5–19 (noted)||Uncommon||12,740–48,412|
|Onyx bolt tips||3–9||Uncommon||21,714–65,142|
|Uncut diamond||6–10 (noted)||Uncommon||23,226–38,710|
|Unicorn horn||10–14 (noted)||Rare||21,700–30,380|
|Raw shark||15–25 (noted)||Rare||15,255–25,425|
|Adamant bar||10–15 (noted)||Rare||23,100–34,650|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Raptor key part 4||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Court summons||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- ^ Can only be dropped during a task
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
A ring of wealth, luck potion or collector's insignia are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||174,195–212,905|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||17,504|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||23,914|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||564,570–690,030|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||566,145–943,575|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||64,218|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,059,345–1,294,755|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||77,794|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||400,010–504,628|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||117,390–148,092|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||40,175–56,245|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||14,850–18,150|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||228,825–279,675|
|Big bones||72–90 (noted)||Uncommon||25,272–31,590|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||288,360–352,440|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||12,960–15,840|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||259,200–316,800|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||32,340–36,960|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||311,850–381,150|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||1,016,550–1,242,450|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||42,033|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||630,495–770,605|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||381,420–466,180|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||359,010–438,790|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||221,220–270,380|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||158,085–193,215|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||8,666–9,904|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||1,720,080|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||7,830–9,570|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||155,700–190,300|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||130,275–159,225|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||35,145–42,955|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||571,050–697,950|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
- Acheron mammoths were first mentioned in 2004 in a Behind the Scenes article as a future update, alongside the Lizardmen and many other updates, most of which made it into the game. A model was nevertheless made for them, although it was ultimately unused, only eventually appearing as a monster as part of Old School RuneScape's Wilderness Rejuvenation and first birthday celebration.
- They make small appearance in player-owned ports, as a Mammoth Head can be built at an icon hotspot.
- The Mammoth was an option in a guaranteed content poll on 28 April 2008. It was a possibility for one of the future summoning familiars, although it was outvoted by the phoenix.
- "Manners maketh man" and the reply "Are we going to stand here talking, or are we going to fight?" are a reference to the film Kingsman: The Secret Service.
- "Round One: FIGHT!" may possibly be a reference to the Mortal Kombat series.