|Location on World Map|
Acheron is an Arctic land said to be found to the north of the Fremennik Province. As of now, little is known about it, and it cannot be accessed by players in any way.
Brundt the Chieftain, Chuck (After the Some Like It Cold quest) and some of the crew on Lady Zay are currently the only characters that speak of it. According to Brundt, the climate is so bitterly cold that few can survive in it, and players will need an agile body just to live. This suggests that in Acheron players may need certain items or levels to live, namely high agility, and may suffer side effects such as a lowered stats or continuous damage, such as in the Kharidian Desert, in the Mort Myre Swamp, and on the Ice Path.
In the 20th Postbag from the Hedge, Brundt states that the Fremennik will lead an expedition to Acheron soon.
After Some Like It Cold, Chuck states that Larry believes he knows the location of the Penguin's Motherland on Acheron.
- In ancient Greek Mythology, Acheron was known as the river of pain, and was one of the five rivers of the Greek Underworld.
- In Dante's Divine Comedy "The Inferno" the Acheron was the first river in hell guarding the underworld from those who are alive. The ferryman Charon carried doomed souls across on a large ship.
- In the setting of the Conan the Barbarian novels, Acheron is described as a kingdom similar to ancient Rome.
- In a Content Team Q&A, a Jagex Moderator described it to be more like real-world Greenland, a large island but not a continent itself.
- Before the release of The Tale of the Muspah, some players speculated the ritual site was on Acheron, although with the release of Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest, it is known to be in the ritual plateau.
- In the Behind the Scenes Video #12- Some Like it Cold, Mod Osborne says that Acheron will be released in the 4th installment of the penguin quest series.