|Release||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|High alch||72,000 coins|
|Low alch||48,000 coins|
|Exchange||81,382 coins (info)|
|A weapon from the Abyss.|
The abyssal whip is a one-handed melee weapon. It requires 70 Attack to wield and may be obtained as a drop from abyssal demons, which require 85 Slayer to harm. The abyssal has a special attack that drains the target's run energy.
Abyssal whips were introduced with the Slayer skill. Given the high Slayer level required to obtain abyssal whips and the slow speed of the skill, abyssal whips were fairly uncommon shortly after the skill's release.
An abyssal vine whip may be crafted by combining an abyssal whip with a whip vine, an item dropped by mutated jadinko guards and mutated jadinko males. The abyssal vine whip is a tier 75 weapon with a different special attack.
A wyrm spike can be added to an abyssal whip to turn it into a lava whip. The lava whip is a tier 85 weapon with a different special attack. Abyssal whips are also used to charge the lava whip to keep it from degrading.
Interval: 2.4 seconds
|[view] • [talk]|
Since the whip's introduction into the game in 26 January 2005, it has undergone several graphical and functional changes. When PvP worlds were introduced, an abyssal whip was a possible drop from killing another player in PvP combat. However, on 16 June 2009, abyssal whips, along with other unique boss drops, were removed from the drop table. Jagex cited complaints on the forums as the reason for this move.
Immediately after its release, the market price of an abyssal whip was several million coins. Since its release, the whip's price has been greatly influenced by several updates, including those which changed PvP drop tables, added the ability to colour whips, changed the 100% drop of abyssal demons to infernal ashes, introduced the whip vine, and removed most macros from the game.
With the Barbarian Assault improvements update on 19 January 2010, players were given the option of purchasing abyssal whip paint in any of four different colours for a price of 50 honour points each. The whips may be coloured blue, white, green, or yellow, and colouring a whip renders it untradeable and non-lendable. However, the paint may be removed using a cleaning cloth, returning the whip back to normal. On 29 March 2010, the rewards interface was updated so that players could recolour whips indefinitely once the specific colour had been purchased. Prior to this, each time a whip was coloured, 50 honour points were required.
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Abyssal demon||98||1||Very rare|
|Abyssal demon (elite)||107||1||Very rare|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||23.0%|
- The abyssal whip is featured in the emote for the max cape when the player latches the whip around the monster's waist and pulls it to the ground for the killing blow.
- Mod Mark described the abyssal whip as the spine of an abyssal demon.
- A fake abyssal whip may be obtained from an abyssal minion. When equipped, it will merely crumble to dust.
- When the abyssal whip first came out, the special attack would have a 50% chance of you hitting your max hit, or a zero. This was later updated and changed to a special attack that drained run energy.
- When sheathed, the abyssal whip is located on the right side of the player - the side in which off-handed weapons are sheathed - while other main-handed weapons are located on the left side when sheathed.
- It previously had a drop rate of 1/512 from Abyssal demons, but this was changed to 1/1024 with the demon drop table update.
|Abyssal vine whip||