|Release date||12 July 2011 (Update)|
|High Alch||162,000 coins|
|Low Alch||108,000 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||A weapon from the Abyss, interlaced with a vicious jade vine.|
The vine itself can be traded, but the abyssal vine whip is not tradeable. You can attach the vine to dyed whips too. The vine may be removed from the whip at any time using the "split" option.
The vine whip has slightly improved stats compared to the regular abyssal whip - it has an additional +4 Slash Attack Bonus and +2 Strength Bonus. It also has a chance to inflict poison starting at 48 damage. Furthermore, it has a more damaging special attack (see below).
A player wielding an abyssal vine whip
|[view] • [talk]|
The abyssal vine whip has a special attack, Vine Call. The attack summons a vine that strikes the target 10 times (after the initial hit, which functions the same as the rest of the vine hits - so 11 hits total) with 125% of the user's accuracy and 33% of their base strength. The special attack uses 60% of the special attack bar. With the use of a recover special potion the special attack can be used two times in a row, however only one vine can be summoned at a time so if the vine from the first special attack is still in effect, the second special attack will cause the first one to disappear. The attacks will only hit as long as the target is in range (on the animation block or next to it). It can easily hit three targets in a Multicombat area (it is possible to have a fourth under main attack while a maximum of three are being damaged by the special attack). The special attack can also be used to damage another enemy if they should move (or be lured) within range of the ongoing animation. Additionally, Vine Call may poison the opponent starting at 48 damage. When attacking three targets at the same time with the special attack, it is the equivalent to doing 2.25x more damage output ((33% strength * 3 monster * 125% accuracy) + 100% user damage output).
The location of the special attack animation appears to be random, but it will not be far from where you activate it. Factors affecting it seem to include the size of the monster attacked, and if either of you are mobile at that instant. If you are under attack by multiple single-block monsters and all of you are immobile the moment the special attack is triggered, the animation will commonly appear under your avatar. If it does not appear at a convenient location, simply relocate your avatar to where the animation will do the most damage.
Not having the vine whip equipped while Vine Call is in effect will result in the message "Since you no longer wield a vine whip, the vine ignores your call." This lasts for however long the vine whip stays unequipped, with Vine Call returning immediately if the whip is equipped again.
Dying in the Wilderness
If you're skulled and die in the Wilderness while wielding an abyssal vine whip, the winner of the fight will get the abyssal whip and the whip vine as two separate drops. If using the Protect Item prayer, the whip vine is saved over the abyssal whip.
- It currently has the highest attack level requirement among non-Dungeoneering weapons, as well as the highest slayer level requirement among non-Dungeoneering weapons.
- The special attack's damage is boosted by the effect of the ferocious ring while in Kuradal's dungeon.
- "Vine Call" can negate a strykewyrm's special attack if timed correctly. Whether or not this is a glitch is unknown. This may be due to the strykewyrm not being able to perform it's special attack while the avatar is near an object (such as a wall or bush).
- Originally, if the special attack was used and weapons were switched, the vines that were summoned would take the attack style, stats and other characteristics of the switched weapon. By switching to a Chaotic rapier, one could make the special attack very effective on dragons, switching to Keris would allow a chance of critical vine hits on Kalphites, but this ability has been removed now. When switching to another weapon, you will receive the message "Since you no longer wield a vine whip, the vine ignores your call" in the chatbox.
- The Vine Whip's special attack was also affected by prayer, such as helping Turmoil reach its maximum boost faster.
- When fighting Nechryael in the Slayer Tower, the Special Attack will not damage the summoned Death Spawn at the same time as the Nechrael. It may seem like a multicombat area, but the Special Attack treats it as a single combat area
- When using the special attack on a Pest Control portal, the vine will always appear on the southwest of the portal.