|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||661 (and 218.1 experience)|
|Always drops||Infernal ashes|
|Examine text||A denizen of the Abyss!|
|Slayer XP||277.8 (58.2 if on contract; 332.6 if on special contract)|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal, Morvran|
Abyssal demons are among the remnants of the Chthonian race of demons. As revealed in Palkeera's memory, the Chthonians were once rulers of Infernus, and by extension all of demonkind after rising up and overthrowing their predecessors, the Infernal demons. They were said to be cannibals, actually eager at the idea of consuming their own kin, and they were able to steal the power, or essence, of whomever they consumed. Despite this, their culture is said to be highly based on rules and laws, and they formed a complex bureaucracy in stark contrast to the Avernic's tribal ways. They came to be nobles in both the Infernal dimension and under the Zarosian empire, but lived in 'distant luxury' that made them unaware of the brewing conflicts that surround them.
At length, the Mahjarrat Zamorak managed to sway many Avernic to his side in his secret coup against Zaros, promising to help them overthrow the Chthonians. After his success and armed with his newfound godly powers, Zamorak travelled with the Avernic demons back to Infernus to do just that. The Chthonian resistance was so fierce that even with his godly powers, it took Zamorak and his Avernic legions nearly twenty years to kill or banish every last Chthonian to the Abyss.
Chthonian demons now reside in the Abyss, for the most part. The abyssal demons found on Gielinor were originally summoned by a team of researchers in Viggora's Folly, who opened a portal to the abyss. The abyssal demons remain there to this day, also being found in the Abyssal Area and Kuradal's Dungeon.
Strengths and weaknessesEdit
Since they are a type of demon, they are affected by the powers of Silverlight and Darklight, which makes these weapons useful considering the demons' weakness against slashing weapons. Abyssal demons have a fairly low max hit, but hit quite accurately; because of this, players that wish to kill abyssal demons should use good food, a familiar, or some alternate method of healing. Despite their accuracy, they are fairly good targets when using Guthan's or Dharok's sets due to their weakness against melee, especially to the slashing capabilities of Dharok's set. However, if using Dharok's set, players should consider activating Protect from Melee to halve damage taken, or flashing Soul Split.
Abyssal demons have the unusual ability of teleporting around the room while also teleporting the player at the same time. While the player always ends up in one of the eight spaces next to the abyssal demon, it is possible that the ending position will prevent ordinary melee combat, or interrupt certain combo attacks. For example, if the demon teleports east of a terrain feature and the player south of it, melee combat is not possible (except if the player has a long weapon like a Halberd). If auto-retaliate is turned off, the player will have to click or right-click to resume attacking. Ranging or maging will usually prevent running back to combat.
Long trips can be made more profitable by bringing a gem bag to collect uncut diamonds and rubies (or gem bag upgrade for uncut dragonstones) and High Level Alchemy runes to alchemise drops such as adamant battleaxes, rune helms, rune chainbodies, etc.
This area can only be used while having a task from Kuradal that is in her dungeon. There are 8 abyssal demons in here and are all crowded together, making it quite easy to target another one. Players with 85 Agility can use one summer pie to bypass several rooms to make it quicker. Bank runs are somewhat cumbersome, so using Infernal urns and picking up the good drops is highly recommended to avoid waste of inventory space or ferocious ring charges. However, if a player has a pack yak familiar, they can use its special move to bank the ashes for a hefty profit. Quick access to here can be gained by the twice-daily teleports from the mask of the Abyss/helm of Warping, a ferocious ring teleport, or a fused full slayer helm with ferocious ring charges on it.
This area is somewhat unrelenting for most players. This area is usually empty of players due to the other aggressive abyss creatures that lurk in the area. Partial completion of Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen must be used to access this area as it needs the use of a fairy ring to get into. The best spot is west from the fairy ring as the abyssal leech can be easily killed and there is an abyssal demon nearby. There are around 11 abyssal demons scattered around the abyssal plane. Get here by using the code A•L•R on the fairy ring.
Abyssal demons can be found in the south-west part of the top floor and on part of the roof, which is accessible over an Agility shortcut. Twice a day, players can use the teleport in the Mask of the Abyss/Helm of Warping to teleport here.
If killing demons here without a Slayer task, players can get a Slayer contract for 30 or 200 kills, which will give a slight amount of Slayer experience for each kill. Players using the Tower's abyssal demons to complete their Slayer task can instead get a Special slayer contract, which will give increased experience per kill. It should be noted, however, that obtaining an off-task contract will not allow the player to obtain the abyssal wand and orb. Morytania legs 4 can also be used to further boost slayer experience.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Infernal ashes 1 Always 2,085
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 151,280 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamant battleaxe 1 Common 1,916 Rune dagger 1 Common 4,255 Abyssal whip 1 [drops 1]Very rare 100,703 Abyssal wand 1 [drops 2]Very rare 1,706,913 Abyssal orb 1 [drops 2]Very rare 270,881
- ^ 1/1024 chance of dropping, as revealed in the Demon Drop Revolution FAQ.
- ^ a b Can only be dropped during a task. A Slayer contract doesn't count as being on a task. Is a rarer drop than the whip.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Uncut ruby 1 Common 2,766 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,242 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,500 Pure essence 72–87 Common 1,224–1,479 Magic logs 6 (noted) Uncommon 5,946 Fire orb 2 (noted) Uncommon 3,804 Adamantite ore 2 (noted) Uncommon 2,722 Runite ore 1 (noted) Rare 11,271
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 1,920–3,600 Common Not sold Shark 1 Common 1,003 Ferocious ring 1 [drops2 1]Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Spirit sapphire 1 Rare Not sold Spirit emerald 1 Rare Not sold Spirit ruby 1 Rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Abyssal demon head 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,353 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,509 Uncut ruby 1 Common 2,766 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,242 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 31,242 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 32,820 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 14,500 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,089 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,655 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,265 Rune javelin 5 Rare 915 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,240 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,404 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,415 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,976 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,567,200 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,125 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,681 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,841 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,361 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,257,150 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 97,624 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,576 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 63,200–88,480 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 61,425–85,995 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 684 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 486 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 17,000–25,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 18,360–24,480 Soul rune 20 Rare 4,480 Law rune 45 Rare 19,350 Death rune 50 Rare 14,100 Blood rune 50 Rare 24,050 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 58,750–117,500 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 297,750 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 81,900–98,280 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 132,550–168,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 204,150–340,250 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,600 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,127,100 Rune bar 1 Common 14,239 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 711,950 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 112,805–145,035 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 103,950–121,275 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 89,616–190,434 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,379 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 18,952 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,724 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 484,107–1,129,583 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,223,390 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 165,150–201,850 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- When the Evolution of Combat was first released, Abyssal demons were weak to bolts, like most other demons. This was later changed to slashing weapons in an unknown update. In the beta version of the EoC, they were weak to water spells.
- Although the game says Abyssal Demons are weak to slashing weapons, they still appear to be weak to water spells. This would make sense, as according to the combat triangle, monsters that use melee should be weak to magic.
- Jagex greatly increased the life points of Abyssal demons among other common Slayer creatures in a hidden update on 25 February 2013. They stated that "they were too easy to kill for low-levelled players."
- While a player is attacking them and performing a combo attack, Abyssal demons are incapable of teleporting the player, however they can still teleport themselves.
- The abyssal demons that attempt to escape Kuradal's Dungeon have not been updated following the Evolution of Combat. When Kuradal's Fire Surge hits the demon, it shows a hitsplat of 150 (their health prior to the update).
- If an abyssal demon is killed as it is teleporting, it will have no death animation.
- Abyssal demons received a drop revamp on 4 February 2014, removing most drops and replacing with more expensive drops, and allowing them to drop the abyssal wand and orb for players on abyssal demon tasks.
- Palkeera's memory heavily implies that Abyssal demons are part of a race of demons called Chthonians, which is later confirmed by Mod Jack on the Mahjarrat Memories FAQ. Mod Jack also stated that the Abyssal demons in the Slayer Tower are relatively weaker ones, and the Dukes are much stronger.
- Demon slayer gear does not seem to work with Abyssal demons.
- Abyssal demons received a graphical update on 27 August 2014.
- Abyssal demons can teleport outside their area in Kuradal's Dungeon, if they are attacking you and you travel through the barrier.