Four tick auto-attacking, abbreviated as 4taa, is an exploitation of RuneScape's tick system which is possible due to differences between two-handed and dual wield weapon attack speeds. An auto attack is cast every 4 ticks (2.4 seconds) for a dual wield weapon with "Fastest" attack speed, whereas a two-handed weapon with "Average" attack speed is 6 ticks (3.6 seconds). Four tick auto-attacking allows the player to auto attack with the speed of a dual wield weapon, with the increased damage of the two-handed weapon.
A weapon auto-attack will always be based off the speed of the weapon used for the attack prior. For example: a wand is equipped and is auto casting every 4 game ticks, then a staff gets equipped, the staff's first auto attack will be on the 4th tick, and every auto attack following will be every 6 ticks.
With the introduction of the Evolution of Combat, a magic spell can be placed on the action bar. Due to the ability bar not cancelling most player actions, auto-attacks and abilities can be cast on the same tick, despite the 1 tick cooldown between auto attacks and abilities. Auto-attacks and abilities paired together can be very powerful, and four tick auto-attacking can be up to a 10% increase in damage per second if done with little error.
Jagex has planned to remove 4 tick autoattacking by changing the way autoattacks and ticks interact with abilities and replace it with a Magic threshold ability that temporarily allows the usage of autottacks in between dual-wielded magic abilities. Ranged and Melee will also be receiving changes that increase combat's APM in return for higher DPS.
It is recommended to have a mouse with extra buttons, which can be remapped to equip a wand, orb, and staff.
- Place the desired spell on an action bar, and keybind it.
- It's suggested to keybind the spell with a key that is easily accessible, such as V or C.
- Use an ability with dual wield weapons.
- In between the global cooldown swap to a staff.
- After the global cooldown has finished, wait 1 game tick (0.6 seconds) and press the keybound spell and an ability at the same time.
- This can be done easier by spam pressing the spell and waiting for the white flash of the ability bar as a signal to use the next ability.
Continuous four tick auto-attacking, abbreviated as c4taa, can be done the same way as normal four tick auto-attacking, but instead of using an ability with a staff, a wand and orb get equipped and an ability is used in the same tick. This allows a staff auto-attack to be cast every 4 ticks instead of every 7 ticks, increasing damage per second even more, but requiring a lot more actions per ability.
Cost per autocastEdit
- It is currently only possible to four tick auto-attack with Magic, as there is no way to auto attack from the ability bar with Melee or Ranged.
- Four tick auto-attack can be done on full manual or revolution, but due to the difficulty of controlling auto-attacks in revolution, it is highly recommended to use full manual when using four tick auto-attacks.