|Release date||30 October 2017 (Update)|
|End date||13 November 2017 (Update)|
|Reward||Headless Rider Outfit, Ghost Story, The Ghostwriter|
|Head developer||Unknown edit|
|Preceded by||2016 Hallowe'en event|
The 2017 Hallowe'en event consists of a miniquest called Ghost Stories of Gielinor and several other activities. It was released on 30 October 2017. In the miniquest, players help Closure track down nine ghosts to collect their last moments. Ironmen can participate in the event.
Ghost Stories of GielinorEdit
|Start point||Closure just outside the entrance to Death's office, near the Draynor Village lodestone.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||The below skill requirements are not boostable unless stated otherwise.
For total completion
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
To start this event, you need to speak to Closure who is located outside of Death's office, near the Draynor Village lodestone. Quick access can be gained through the various event noticeboards or the holiday portal in Prifddinas.
He will ask players to track down ghosts and collect their final moments in The Ghastly Grimoire. There are nine different ghosts that must be tracked down for Closure, located across Gielinor. They each reveal a different story when found.
After each story is collected, a chat message will inform you: You have discovered #/10 of the ghost stories.
You will also receive a ghost treat for completing a story.
|Heralds of the Apocalypse||North-east of the Edgeville lodestone|
|The Group Gatestone||Daemonheim (east of Abandoned I barrier)|
|Always and Forever||North of Aubury's Rune Shop in Varrock|
|By the Light of the Moon||West of Falador's north gate|
|Family Reunion||South-west of the Varrock lodestone|
|Wool||Outside of the Taxidermist in Canifis|
|Asleep||House southeast of the East Ardougne lodestone|
|Clockwork||Southeast of general store in Burgh de Rott|
|Saradomin Have Mercy||Near the entrance to Barrows in Morytania|
|The Beginning and the End||North of the Draynor Village lodestone.|
Heralds of the ApocalypseEdit
Head north-east of the Edgeville lodestone, next to the Wilderness wall, to find a ghost who requires food. Upon providing her with some, the food will turn to ash. She then asks for water, which when provided turns to steam and the container it was in is destroyed. She then reveals her story, completing this part of the miniquest.
The Group GatestoneEdit
Travel to the lobby area of Daemonheim and bank everything that isn't allowed in dungeons normally except the book, and then speak to the ghost who will lead you to a dungeon. Your ring of kinship gets replaced with a blooded variant temporarily while in the dungeon. Interacting with the ghost while wearing forbidden items results in a chatbox message stating You are [carrying/wearing] items that cannot be taken into this ghost's story.
Once inside the dungeon, read the ominous journal in the north-east part of the room. Pick up everything on the tables, and mine three novite ore and pick two salve nettles. Use an air rune on the furnace, then smelt the novite ore into novite bars, and spin the salve nettles into salve cloth on the nearby spinning wheel. Whilst using the spinning wheel, you prick your finger.
Use the anvil to create a primordial gatestone. Remove the ring and use it on the primordial gatestone to create a bloodied gatestone. Finally, use the bloodied gatestone on the group gatestone portal to finish the story.
Always and ForeverEdit
- Dye the blue candle white to get an ice blue candle.
- Dye the white candle black to get a smoke grey candle.
After dyeing the candles the correct answer, you must place them on the ground on the ritual circle:
- Place the candle (ice blue) on the north point
- Place the candle (shadow black) on the east point
- Place the candle (smoke grey) on the west point
- Place the candle (blood red) on the south point
By the Light of the MoonEdit
The ghost can be found west of the Falador north gate.
After speaking to the ghost, it will move outside the Rising Sun Inn. Speak to it again and it will tell you to head upstairs, to find a werewolf in order to avenge it. There are 6 NPCs upstairs, and the available dialogue options are:
- Where were you on the full moon?
- Did you see anything suspicious?
- Who do you suspect of being the werewolf?
- [Accuse (NPC) of being the werewolf.]
Accuse Daniel of being the werewolf, and he will transform into his werewolf form and run out of the inn. Return to the ghost to complete the story.
Wrongly accusing someone of being the werewolf will result in the death of said NPC. This has no impact on the story line.
The ghost can be found just south of the Varrock lodestone. Upon interacting with the ghost, it will shift to outside the entrance of the Blue Moon Inn. Interacting with it again will cause it to shift to the northwest room on the upper floor in the Blue Moon Inn, where it will be scaring Andrea.
In the same room as the ghost, pose in the mirror three times. The ghost will move to the southwest room.
Search the wardrobe in the northeast room and put on the spooky outfit. Talk to the ghost to finish this story. Simply walking down the stairs will remove the outfit.
Outside of the Taxidermist in Canifis, talk to the ghost and offer to help in order to be transported to a location full of sheep with a fountain in the middle. The goal is to get to the center with only removing 3 sheep, no more no less. Start at the 5th row down on west side and aim to get towards the west side of the fountain. The goal of this minigame is to get to the fountain and drink the water removing no more than three sheep.
After drinking from the fountain, you will be transported back and the story is completed.
Talk to the ghost in the house southeast of the Ardougne lodestone. Solve the memory afflicted puzzle (a guide can be found here). After solving it, the display will turn black and white and the puzzle will get a red hue. A monster will appear under the bed.
Tip: Exit the puzzle and enter the puzzle until you get a message "The ghost has pieced together as much of her memory as she can." The ghost will automatically complete a row each time until the last two rows are left to solve. With last two rows, start from left side and work right, one column at a time.
Head to the ghost that's at the east end of Burgh de Rott. Talk to the ghost and offer your help. Then search the barrel, shelves and both bookcases, in the house next to the ghost for parts. Read the inventor's diary on book stand:
- Take the mainspring and carefully attach the gear train. (Use the gear train on the mainspring to make powered gears.)
- [This step is smudged] (Add the balance wheel to the powered gears to make a powered balance wheel.)
- The escapement must then be carefully tightened on to the final gear. (Add the escapement to the powered balance wheel to make a powered clockwork.)
- [This step is smeared] (Add the valve assembly to the powered clockwork to make a powered valve assembly.)
- Finally, the pump must be slotted in place. (Use the pump on the powered valve assembly to make a clockwork heart.)
Talk to the ghost to finish the story.
Saradomin Have Mercy (m)Edit
Do nothing. Don't open the chest. Wait for the scene to finish.
If you do click on the treasure chest, you will get a confirmation dialog box "Claim reward from chest?" with the options of "Yes" and "No". If you select "Yes", then you get the message "As you open the chest, all faith and hope abandons you." and you will harmlessly be sent back to the ghost next to the entrance to the Barrows area, where it asks for your help, "Show me how to resist temptation. Show me the strength of your faith."
The Beginning and the End (m)Edit
Once you have collected all 9 stories, go back to Closure. You will be rewarded for your first 5 stories. Talk to him again and you will be presented with a quiz based on the previous stories. Note that the questions will be asked in random order.
|In 'Always and Forever', where was Trent trying to teleport to?||The Afterlife.|
|In 'Asleep', what was written on the wall?||I know that you're awake.|
|In 'By the Light of the Moon', who was the werewolf?||Alice.|
|In 'Clockwork', where was the child found?||Church.|
|In 'Family Reunion', what was the nickname of the dead girl?||Puffball.|
|In 'Heralds of the Apocalypse', which of the heralds calls Forinthry home.||War.|
|In 'Saradomin Have Mercy', what was being tested...and slowly lost?||Faith.|
|In 'The Group Gatestone', on which floors were people trapped?||Abandoned.|
|In 'Wool', what was the name of the taxidermist?||Fish Miller.|
- All 10 stories: [Name] the Ghostwriter
From 30 October to the end of 1 November, orange and black balloons dropped near lodestones every 30 minutes, approximately every :45 and :15 in game time. A global message was displayed two minutes prior to the drop:
Balloons will drop near all lodestones (except Prifddinas) in two minutes, as part of Gielinor's Hallowe'en celebrations!
Players could pop up to 50 of the balloons daily to receive a random assortment of the following:
|Ancient bones||1||Common||Not sold|
|Sugar skull||2–3||Common||Not sold|
|Toffee apple||2–3||Common||Not sold|
|Bonus XP star (small)||1||Common||Not sold|
|Small XP lamp||1||Common||Not sold|
It was also possible that a balloon was empty. If there was not enough inventory space when popping a balloon, the following message was shown:
Your prizes drop to the floor because you do not have enough inventory space.
- Some of the stories in the event were written by players, while others were written by Mod Raven, Scorpio, Mohawk, Rowley, and Osborne.
- The "Asleep" story is a retelling of the Masterpiece Creepypasta.
- The "Heralds of the Apocalypse" story chronicles a civilian first-hand account of the destruction of Forinthry at the end of the Gielinorian God Wars. The 'red light' seen dancing on the horizon is the Stone of Jas in its unstable state being wielded by Zamorak, referencing the events seen in the flashback at the end of Dishonour among Thieves. The text also makes reference to the four horsemen of the apocalypse Death, Famine, Pestilence and War to describe the various fates befalling Forinthry in the days following the blast.
- During "The Group Gatestone" the player pricks their finger on the spinning wheel, which is likely a reference to Sleeping Beauty.
- During "The Group Gatestone", the player can interact with the doors in the room multiple times for some comical chat messages.
- Dark spirit door: "This isn't a hilarious story to share with your grandchildren.", "This is the door you will die on.", "Keep going. See what happens.", "That's the spirit."
- Guardian door: "The door won't unlock until everything in the room is dead...", "That includes you.", "You can't fool it.", "It's watching you..."
- Barred door: "You are too weak.", "You will always be too weak.", "You won't get out this way."
- Purple diamond door: "You don't have the right key.", "You can't save them from it.", "It's coming for you next.", "You should be afraid."
- After accusing Daniel during "By the Light of the Moon" of being a werewolf, he will say "I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling World Guardians!" This is a reference to Scooby-Doo villains.
|Summer Beach Party||
|Cryptic Clue Fest||
|Christmas Advent Calendar||