2010 marks the 11th anniversary of the formation of Jagex, and the 9th anniversary of the release of RuneScape. Jagex has the dubbed 2010 as the year of "hard work" and referred to this several times in a Q&A. There were several RuneScape updates in 2010, and the following is a list of announcements made by Jagex.
- 4 January: Jagex announces the RuneScape Q&A schedule for 2010.
- 8 January: Jagex releases RuneScape Cards in Canada.
- 11 January: The quest, Nomad's Requiem, is released.
- 12 January:
- 13 January: Postbag from the Hedge 43 is released.
- 18 January: The blog Community Management: A 2009 Retrospective is released.
- 19 January: Barbarian Assault Improvements and Agility Benefits for Fishing, Hunter and Thieving
- 20 January: The blog Machinima: The Orb of Oculus is released.
- 23 January: Every player online, both free players and members, receive the message You feel a strange power unleash itself upon you. Players are lifted into the air, surrounded by mysterious forces, and shortly after fall back onto the ground. Topics involving this are posted onto the RuneScape Forums. For more information, see Strange power.
- 28 January: The RuneScape Q&A with Mark Gerhard is posted on the RuneScape Forums.
- 29 January:
- 1 February:
- 4 February: The RuneScape Q&A with Andrew Gower is posted on the RuneScape Forums.
- 5 February: New Items in the Online Store
- 8 February: Strykewyrms
- Strykewyrms, Staffs of light, Hexcrests, Focus sights and Full slayer helmets are introduced.
- A custom music playlist capable of playing up to 12 music tracks is introduced.
- Standard Detail is updated, and the old Standard Detail is repackaged as Safe mode.
- A server blackout occurs at approximately 02:44 UTC.
- 11 February: The RuneScape Q&A with the RuneScape Content team is posted on the RuneScape Forums.
- 12 February: Two developers' blogs are released: Localisation: A Day in the Life and Shattered Heart: A History of Non-violence.
- 16 February:
- 19 February:
- 22 February:
- The activity Impetuous Impulses is improved.
- A bank deposit box is added at the Runecrafting Guild.
- The ability to wield weapons while cutting ivy with a dragon hatchet is disabled.
- Dark bow is the item chosen to be recoloured by Commander Connad.
- The Wilderness Castle is added to the world map in an unannounced update.
- 24 February: The vote to choose the winner of the RuneScape Machinima Competition 2 is started.
- 25 February: The RuneScape Q&A with the RuneScape Audio team is posted on the RuneScape Forums.
- 26 February:
- 2 March: Due to cheating and the exploitation of bugs, 68 accounts are permanently banned by Jagex, with another 48 are given temporary bans. Some of the players banned were stated to be high-level players with an average of 2,000 total levels, with in-game time of between 200 days to 1,000 days.
- 3 March:
- A scheduled 15-minute downtime is announced with the next update.
- Shattered Heart is released.
- The success when smelting iron is improved for both members and non-members.
- The RuneScape Lobby is introduced.
- Changes are made to the Hitpoints skill and it is renamed to Constitution.
- The blog Hitpoints to Constitution: What Constitutes the Change? is released.
- 4 March: The Q&A by the Community Management team is released.
- 5 March:
- 8 March: Four new items are introduced in the Jagex Store.
- 10 March: The Big Ticket 2010 draw for this month is announced, and will take place on 26 March.
- 11 March: The Q&A by the Player Support team is released.
- 12 March: The Bonus XP weekend is officially launched.
- 15 March:
- The quest The Blood Pact is released. This gave players a maximum of 300 quest points. It was also the first free-to-play quest to be launched after Rune Mysteries, which launched in December 2003, 7 years prior. It also gave player access to a low-levelled dungeon, the Lumbridge Catacombs.
- Free player forum access is expanded. All free players who have earned over 5 million XP are allowed into the RuneScape Forums.
- 19 March: Players are reminded about the Big Ticket 2010 draw for this month.
- 23 March: Fish Flingers is released.
- 25 March: The blogs Community Management: Supporting Clans and Halloween 2010: Quoth Mod Raven are released.
- 26 March: The March 2010 issue of the blog Community Management: Clan Submissions Page is released.
- 29 March: The 2010 Easter event is released.
- 31 March: The Instant demo gameplay mode for affiliated websites is released (hidden update).
- 1 April: Jagex plays an April Fools' Joke by announcing that there was a Runescape Theme Park about to be opened, it also included a Developer's Blog and a Poll. Everything was admitted false the next day.
- 7 April: The winners of the Armies of Gielinor Story competition are announced.
- 12 April: The Dungeoneering skill is released, for both free to play and pay to play. Several glitches concerning Dungeoneering appear in the next few days, and most of them are fixed.
- 19 April: There is a Forum Reshuffle, that divides the Forums in Level-Based communities, many players rant about this change.
- 20 April:
- The cost of Dungeoneering Rewards is greatly reduced, ending the rants of many players.
- A Live Dungeoneering Q & A session is done in the forums, revealing that there was an expansion of the skill in the works.
- 21 April:
- 24 April: Runefest is announced.
- 28 April: The Buyers and Cellars quest is released, along with the Thieves' guild.
- 13 May:
- 25 May: The quest Elemental Workshop III is released.
- 27 May: Castle Wars Improvements occurs, earlier then expected due to a bank holiday.
- 1 June: Runescape classic temporarily re-opened for a two-week period for subscribing members.
- 9 June: Court Cases is released.
- 15 June: Ancient Effigies are released.
- 18 June: Jagex clan cup 2010 is launched
- 24 June: Quiet Before the Swarm is released.
- 24 June:
- The price of Climbing boots rose to 75k Grand Exchange price and 45k Alch price. This also caused some items to be protected over and/or increase in price.
- Sheep Shearer and Witch's Potion are no longer Quests and have become miniquests.
- Swept Away and Myths of the White Lands are permanently made free to play
- Elemental magic spells get a make-over .
- 1 July: Behind the Scenes July is released
- 5 July: The Love Story Quest is Released
- 6 July: PayBySMS with Paymo is now available in Australia
- 19 July:
- Dungeoneering was updated
- The waypoint marker was renamed your marker
- 21 July: A Live Developer Q&A was announced
- 23 July: Live Developer Q&A happened
- 4 August:
- Elite treasure trails and 150 New Items Released
- 10 Extra Bank Spaces for F2P and Members
- 10 August: A Void Dance is Released
- 19 August: Occult floors released for the Dungeoneering skill
- 25 August: New Clothes were added to Thessalia's Fine Clothes in Varrock
- 28 August: the first RuneFest event took place in London, United Kingdom
- 1 September: Court Cases batch 2 is released.
- 3 September: The second Bonus XP Weekend is released.
- 7 September: The elite Achievement Diaries are released, along with a Java certificate update.
- 15 September: Z-buffering and Developer console added into game.
- 21 September: Gunnar's Ground (a new F2P Quest) is released.
- 6 October: A new Grandmaster quest is released, The Void Stares Back.
- 12 October: Make-X is added to common skill training methods and a new method to get Charms is released.
- 18 October: Halloween Event set in game and Combat Sound effects added.
- 2 November: Warped floors are released.
- 9 November: Update:Bank Op and Equip Screen Update (BOAESU) is added.
- 24 November: Tasks replace Achievement Diaries , Graphics options are changed and Herblore Habitat is released.
- 25 November: "Take Item" is changed a bit.
- 1 December: The Dragon Scimitar is updated and Do No Evil is released.
- 7 December: The Dragon Defender is released.
- 14 December: Damage Soaking is added to the majority of armour and new Hit-splats are added.
- 20 December: New Christmas event quest added.
- 24 December: A Referendum is made to see if they bring back the old wilderness and free trade between players with no limit.
- ^ Mod Mat K and Mod MMG. "Previous answers from Mod MMG". 28 January 2010. News & Announcements Forums.
- ^ The RuneScape Team. Jagex Presents... RuneFest 2010!. Customer Support updates. Jagex Games Studio. 24 April 2010. (Archived from the original on 20 August 2011.) “Jagex is proud to present RuneFest 2010! RuneFest 2010 will be the first ever real-world event of its size for RuneScape players. Taking place on Saturday 28th August, the event will be held at an exciting central London venue.”*