|“|| Times are grave this Wintumber... Jack Frost has escaped from the Land of Snow and seems intent upon bringing misery to all those around him. What else could you expect from a surly teenager with a rebellious streak? As if things weren't bad enough, Santa seems to have gone missing...
The Queen of Snow is eager to see Jack back in the Land of Snow, and has sent some snow imps to look for her wayward son. Imps occasionally have problems sticking to task at hand (why do some dreary chore when you could be playing pranks on humans, after all?) and could do with some direction.
— Jagex's Christmas 2008 Event Guide
To start the event, a player first had to find one of the three festive-looking head snow imps. They looked like other snow imps except that they wore a Santa Hat. There were three especially important imps, who were stationed at the scenes of some of Jack Frost's vandalism (he was creating large ice patches that players could skate on). Players could find them near the ice patches in the following locations:
The snow imps would gladly tell players of their woes, and if they were willing to help out, they'd provide the player with an Ice amulet that could be used to summon one of their friends.
To get started on hunting for Jack, players wore the necklace and right-clicked 'Operate' away from snow ground. They'd suddenly discover that a snow imp had appeared to give them a hand. Snow imps are naturally aware of extraordinary cold, and could tell when they were headed towards someone as cold as Jack Frost. As a player started moving around, they'd be able to click on your imp to check whether they were getting hotter or colder - following the imp's directions would quickly lead them to the right location.
1. Head to any of the Head Snow imps.
2. They would give the player an ice amulet. Operating it away from a snowy field to summon a snow imp. Players couldn't have any pets/familiars/followers while operating the ice amulet.
NOTE: Jack Frost was in only one of 15 locations at a time.
|Freddie||Along the wall of the Grand Exchange on the west side.|
|Charlie||South of Varrock.|
|Murphy||West of Edgeville/south of the Monastery.|
|Norris||Just north of the dungeon entrance near Thurgo.|
|Benny||South-east of the Lumberyard.|
|Magnus||North of the Black Knights' Fortress.|
|Rasmus||South of the Lumbridge Swamp.|
|Marcus||Along the western wall of the Wizard's Tower.|
|Boris||North-East of Varrock.|
|Morris||South of the Grand Exchange.|
|Marvin||West of Ice Mountain.|
|Barry||South of Draynor Manor and North of Draynor Village.|
|Marius||South of the Gunnarsgrunn.|
|Dennis||In the north-east corner of the Lumbridge cow pen.|
|Murray||South-east corner of Falador.|
4. Once a player found Jack Frost, they were frozen, but their ice amulet would prevent them from dying. The snow imp would now be able to teleport them to his hideout.
5. Once there, Jack would tell the player that he wouldn't go back until they defeated him.
6. Players would Slide on the ice patch so they would bump into him, shouting "Oof!"
7. The Queen of Snow would appear and you would learn that the ice sculpture was Santa Claus.
8. After the cutscene, Santa was defrosted and players were rewarded with a Santa suit.
|Players were rewarded a Santa costume for saving Christmas.
- The second FunOrb holiday event was released on Christmas 2008. It involved a festive download and a competition.
- The Santa Costume and ice amulet can be stored in the toy box of a player-owned house.
- The Queen of Snow may refer to the White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia, as she looks similar and has a sleigh pulled by stags/reindeer.
- When you attempt to take off your ice amulet, which prevents you from turning into ice, you won't take it off, but instead you will be frozen in ice.
- When you try to call your imp back from the Land of Snow, it says "(Your imp's name) has gone back to the Land of Snow, and no longer answers to your calls."
- Snow imps are considered pets, but do not cause a summoning interface to appear.
- There was a glitch where if a player ate any food while doing the emote, the normal eating action occurred while the ice still moved.
- There was a glitch where when a player was fighting and if they used the Freeze emote, they wouldn't fall.
- There was a glitch where if a player walked/slide across the snow, then clicked talk on another person's imp (nearest clickable NPC) they will turn around, the sliding sound will stop, their legs will stop moving, and it will look akin to the moonwalk glitch, but they don't move your legs, instead they simply slide backwards.
- There was a glitch where when you use the Freeze emote and then click on the portal to leave your house it will finish the rest of emote when you finish teleporting.
- Upon release, there was a bug that if you used the Give Thanks emote as soon as you stepped off solid ground and started to move onto ice, you would perform the emote on ice and thereby not slide across the ice, thereby being able to walk on the ice. This was soon fixed.
- If you ask Maggie to teleport back to Wendy during this event, you will land on the ice in which you will not slide over it. This was fixed later.
- There was a glitch where if you do the Give Thanks emote then when you are seen in human form of the emote (near the end) and then press the "Freeze" emote REALLY fast, the ice forms around you and you just stand there.
- There was a glitch where if you are wearing the Void knight top and the ice amulet you can't see the pendant from front on you have to twist the camera and can only see it from the side.
- There was a glitch where when walking through a gate with your Snow imp closing it before the Snow imp gets through causes the imp to walk through the gate.
- There was a slightly uncommon glitch where you can get a second Santa Costume Top and Santa Costume Legs when, at one point, you check your holiday items from Diango and you will see that you can claim the Santa costume legs and Santa costume top, even if you already have it. This glitch is random, so there is no way to perform it.
- Jack Frost's hideout is located on a previously unreachable strip of land due north of Silvarea.
- It is believed that all locations are described as "North of ..." as a reference to the commonly accepted place of Santa Claus's residence, the North Pole.
- When pelting a player with snowballs, if there is an obstacle in the way and the player moves over the ice, they will not slide around and be free to walk on the ice like normal ground.
- You don't get any Firemaking experience for lighting the fires to unfreeze Santa.
- Even if you bring your own tinderbox, the imp brings you one.
- If you use a ring of egg or ring of stone when you go on the ice you go across as an egg or rock.
- As a reference to Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' film, Jack is not referred to as evil but just 'a very naughty boy'.
- If you try to remove your amulet while talking to Jack Frost when you first find him, your summoned imp will say "No! If you do that you'll ruin the whole operation!"
- If the imp is dismissed at that time, the player would refuse to remove the amulet as he/she remembered the words.
- The area that Jack teleported to can be found north of the Lumber Yard near Varrock; although it is in the wilderness, it is not considered a wilderness area and you are therefore safe from player killers. The ice walls surrounding Jack are no longer present, but the sliding ice floor (and the frozen sleigh, if you have not completed the event) are.
- If a player tries to light a fire near the ice, it will say: "You can't light fires so close to the ice."Attempting to light a fire on the ice will give the message: "You can't light fires on ice. The ground is too wet."
- You can take off the ice amulet when you are in the area where Santa Claus is without getting frozen.
- If you talked to another snow Imp that has the same name as your snow imp, The Imp will say "Hey, Bro any luck?" instead of, "Hey, (snow imp's name) How's Fings?"
- If you take off the ice amulet when next to Jack Frost he disappears until you equip it again.
- With the update, Party Pete received a pet chameleon for Christmas. It can be seen wandering around in the Falador Party Room.
- Jagex. Christmas 2008 Event Guide. RuneScape Game Guide.*
2008 Christmas event