|Release date||16 December 2008 (Update)|
|End date||6 January 2009 (Update)|
|Head developer||Frédérique M|
|Preceded by||2007 Christmas event|
|Succeeded by||A Christmas Warble (2009)|
|“|| Times are grave this Wintumber... Jack Frost has escaped from the Land of Snow and seems intent upon bringing misery to all those around him. What else could you expect from a surly teenager with a rebellious streak? As if things weren't bad enough, Santa seems to have gone missing...
The Queen of Snow is eager to see Jack back in the Land of Snow, and has sent some snow imps to look for her wayward son. Imps occasionally have problems sticking to task at hand (why do some dreary chore when you could be playing pranks on humans, after all?) and could do with some direction.
— Jagex's Christmas 2008 Event Guide
To start the event, a player first had to find one of the three festive-looking head snow imps. They looked like other snow imps except that they wore a Santa Hat. There were three especially important imps, who were stationed at the scenes of some of Jack Frost's vandalism (he was creating large ice patches that players could skate on). Players could find them near the ice patches in the following locations:
The snow imps would gladly tell players of their woes, and if they were willing to help out, they'd provide the player with an ice amulet that could be used to summon one of their friends.
To get started on hunting for Jack, players wore the necklace and right-clicked 'Operate' away from snow ground. They'd suddenly discover that a snow imp had appeared to give them a hand. Snow imps are naturally aware of extraordinary cold, and could tell when they were headed towards someone as cold as Jack Frost. As a player started moving around, they'd be able to click on your imp to check whether they were getting hotter or colder - following the imp's directions would quickly lead them to the right location.
1. Head to any of the Head Snow imps.
2. They would give the player an ice amulet. Operating it away from a snowy field to summon a snow imp. Players couldn't have any pets/familiars/followers while operating the ice amulet.
Jack Frost was in only one of 15 locations at a time.
|Freddie||Along the wall of the Grand Exchange on the west side.|
|Charlie||South of Varrock.|
|Murphy||West of Edgeville/south of the Monastery.|
|Norris||Just north of the dungeon entrance near Thurgo.|
|Benny||South-east of the Lumber Yard.|
|Magnus||North of the Black Knights' Fortress.|
|Rasmus||South of the Lumbridge Swamp.|
|Marcus||Along the western wall of the Wizards' Tower.|
|Boris||North-East of Varrock.|
|Morris||South of the Grand Exchange.|
|Marvin||West of Ice Mountain.|
|Barry||South of Draynor Manor and North of Draynor Village.|
|Marius||South of Gunnarsgrunn.|
|Dennis||In the north-east corner of the Lumbridge cow pen.|
|Murray||South-east corner of Falador.|
4. Once a player found Jack Frost, they were frozen, but their ice amulet would prevent them from dying. The snow imp would now be able to teleport them to his hideout.
5. Once there, Jack would tell the player that he wouldn't go back until they defeated him.
6. Players would slide on the ice patch so they would bump into him, shouting "Oof!"
7. The Queen of Snow would appear and you would learn that the ice sculpture was Santa Claus.
8. After the cutscene, Santa was defrosted and players were rewarded with a Santa suit.
|Players were rewarded a Santa costume for saving Christmas.
- When you attempted to take off your ice amulet, which prevented you from turning into ice, you wouldn't take it off, but, instead, you would be frozen in ice.
- All locations were described as "North of ..." as a reference to the commonly accepted place of Santa Claus's residence, the North Pole.
- As a reference to Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' film, Jack is not referred to as evil, but just 'a very naughty boy'.
- If you tried to remove your amulet while talking to Jack Frost when you first found him, your summoned imp would say "No! If you do that you'll ruin the whole operation!"
- If the imp was dismissed at that time, the player would refuse to remove the amulet as he/she remembered the words.
- The area that Jack teleported to can be found north of the Lumber Yard near Varrock; although it is in the Wilderness, at the time, it was not considered, and you were therefore safe from player killers. The ice walls surrounding Jack were no longer present, but the sliding ice floor (and the frozen sleigh, if you have not completed the event) were. The area can still be accessed today, although it is now empty and considered part of the Wilderness.
- Jagex. Christmas 2008 Event Guide. RuneScape Game Guide.*
2008 Christmas event