For the historical servers, see Old School RuneScape.
A concise list of things that happened in RuneScape in 2007.
- 1 January - Behind the Scenes - January
- 2 January - The Rule Seven Protest begins and also 2006 Christmas Event ended.
- 4 January - Barbarian Assault is released.
- All snowballs also melted as part of this update.
- 10 January - The master quest Contact! is released.
- 22 January - The Lair of Tarn Razorlor is released, as well as graphical improvements for zombies, skeletons, ghosts and other undead creatures.
- 29 January - The Cold War quest is released.
- 1 February - Behind the Scenes - February
- 6 February - The Fremennik Isles quest is released, including the islands of Jatizso and Neitiznot.
- 12 February - The Thieving minigame, Sorceress's Garden, is released.
- 14 February - The RuneScape German Language beta is launched.
- 19 February - The Tower of Life quest is released.
- 24 February - A massive 14 hour riot takes place in Falador in World 28.
- 1 March - Behind the Scenes - March
- 6 March - The Great Brain Robbery quest is released, along with a massive update to the music player and song database. The powerful barrelchest anchor is released and can be obtained through The Great Brain Robbery.
- 13 March - The Burgh de Rott Ramble expansion is added to the Temple Trekking minigame.
- 20 March - Dorgesh-Kaan, the city of the Dorgeshuun, is released. Cows and chickens are given graphical improvements. Furthermore, the Fishing Trawler minigame was improved.
- 27 March - The What Lies Below quest is released.
- 1 April - Jagex releases a false behind-the-scenes update stating that many cabbage-themed items such as cabbage armour and cabbage runes would be released, and that on "31 April" all players would be turned into cabbage. Later that day, Jagex admitted that the update was an April Fool's Day prank.
- 2 April
- 10 April - Olaf's Quest was released.
- 18 April - The Wilderness ditch, a barrier intended to prevent players from accidentally entering the Wilderness is released. Its release is protested heavily on the official forums by players who argue that it will ruin the sport of player-killing. Despite the criticism, Jagex takes a firm stance on making the Wilderness more player-friendly.
- 24 April - The Another Slice of H.A.M. quest is released. Surface-dwelling goblins are given a graphics update.
- 30 April - Several pieces of new jewellery are released, including bracelets.
- 1 May - Behind the Scenes - May
- 4 May - RuneScape reaches one million member subscriptions.
- 8 May - The Achievement Diary is released. The first Achievement Diary, the Karamja Diary, is also released. All Kalphites, scorpions, spiders, and metal dragons are given a graphics update.
- 15 May - The Dream Mentor quest was released. In the same update, Jagex released a small notice stating:
Mod Ash accidentally deleted some of the level-up messages for Construction a few months ago. We've now finally noticed, so these have been put back. He says he's sorry."
- This sparked several rude and inappropriate responses attacking Mod Ash on the Rants section of the official forums, forcing Jagex's forum moderators to lock the threads.
- 29 May - The city of Varrock and its guards are given a graphics update. Also, the Varrock Museum is given a large expansion. Players can now perform tasks for the museum curator to earn kudos and lamps which give experience to skills of their choice.
- 1 June - Behind the Scenes - June
- 2 June - The servers of RuneScape crash in what will be called the first server blackout. After they were restarted, there were riots held by angry players in Worlds 64, 65, and 66.
- 4 June - The Grim Tales quest is released. Canifis, werewolves, wolves, hellhounds and other dogs are given a graphics update.
- 11 June - The Impetuous Impulses minigame is released. It is the first minigame to involve the Hunter skill, and offers arguably the most valuable rewards of any minigame: the newly released dragon arrowtips and dragon darts. The powerful and rare dark bow is released as a drop from dark beasts. It is the only bow which can utilise the new dragon arrows.
- 18 June - The draconic visage is released as a drop from the strongest dragons and the metal dragons. It can be taken to Oziach the smith and fused with an anti-dragon shield to form the powerful dragonfire shield, which replaces the fully-charged crystal shield as the strongest shield in the game.
- 2 July - Behind the Scenes - July
- 3 July - The Barbarian Training miniquest is released, along with the Ancient Cavern, mithril dragons, brutal green dragons, and the dragon full helmet. Mithril dragons replace steel dragons as the most powerful metal dragon and also end the King Black Dragon's long reign as the dragon with the highest combat level. Brutal green dragons equal black dragons as the most powerful chromatic dragon excluding the King Black Dragon, and lead to expectations of a complete brutal dragon series.
- 9 July - The maximum number of rooms in a player-owned house is increased from 20 to 30. All birds around RuneScape are graphically improved.
- 15 July - All of the servers crash yet again, in what will be called the second server blackout. The blackout was caused by a disruption at Jagex's internet provider. Many players were angry at Jagex and staged a large riot in Falador, World 66. Players were further angered when many players were teleported to the Ice Plateau and killed.
- 17 July - Jagex updates the Pest Control minigame to fix the faster-than-intended rate at which high-level players could train by teaming up and playing games extremely quickly to earn Pest Control points, which could be exchanged for experience. Infuriated players stage a massive riot in Falador in World 99 which will be later called the World 99 riot. A new record is also set for simultaneous users active on the Rants section of the official forums, with numbers of active users rising above 350.
- 24 July - The King's Ransom quest is released. Seers' Village is given a graphical update, and the Party Room is moved to the north-east corner of Falador in response to repeated requests on the official forums, giving free-to-play a rare update. Players who complete the new Knight Waves Training Grounds activity unlocked after completion of King's Ransom also unlock two new Prayers - Chivalry and Piety, which can be used at Prayer levels of 60 and 70, respectively.
- 1 August - Behind the Scenes - August
- 2 August - A server blackout occurs on Worlds 50-55. Any player trading at this time loses the item they were trading and is logged out.
- 6 August - The Clan Chat feature is added to both free-to-play and pay-to-play worlds.
- 9 August - For 3 hours, Jagex disabled the "Create an account" feature.
- 10 August - The last complete backup of RuneScape was made.
- 13 August - The Update:Themed Worlds update is released, making many of the activities which had been given unofficial player-designated worlds official. The Update:New Player Kit is also released, which gives players new options for the appearance of their characters.
- 15 August - The third Development Diary is released. Also, some minor changes were made to the Themed Worlds.
- 24 August - All the servers are offline, due to a bug fix on RuneScape. Paul Gower apologised on the official forums. Excluding regular updates during which a few servers are taken offline occurring when few players are online, this is the fourth time in less than three months in which multiple servers have crashed or been taken offline, and the third instance during that time period in which all of the servers have been offline.
- 28 August - the God Wars Dungeon is released. This update sheds light on some of the history of the God Wars and also brings the release of several pieces of new high level melee equipment: the godsword, dragon boots, bandos armour, and armadyl armour. Godswords sold for prices in the vicinity of 150 million coins on the official forums, setting a new mark for a single piece of newly released equipment, rivaled only by prices of third age armour.
- 3 September
- 10 September - The Varrock Achievement Diary is released. Also, the Unidentified herb system is changed.
- 18 September - The Ourania Runecrafting Altar is released.
- 1 October
- 2 October - An update is made to shops, and Edgeville is graphically updated.
- 9 October - The Back to my Roots quest is added.
- 16 October - The Clan chat system is updated with the addition of the LootShare function.
- 22 October - The 2007 Halloween event is released. The item is a Grim Reaper Hood.
- 1 November - Behind the Scenes - November
- 5 November - The Assist System is added, and the look of the skill icons are updated.
- 12 November
- 16 November - The Billing System is updated.
- 19 November - The 3rd server blackout takes place. Once the servers come back online, a protest took place in Falador, World 66
- 20 November - The duel arena sees new tournaments introduced.
- 22 November - The release of summoning is said to be in January 2008.
- 26 November - The Grand Exchange is released.
- 3 December - Behind the Scenes - December
- 10 December
- The Duel Arena is made free-to-play.
- Bank PINs for the Grand Exchange are released.
- Two new Activities, Clan Wars and Bounty Hunter, are added to the Wilderness. In addition, the Wilderness becomes home to Revenants and PKing became much more limited compared to how it traditionally was.
- The rants forum hits 1300 people; one of the highest times for that forum ever.
- The 'Pay to Pk' Riot starts. It goes on for a week, and videos start appearing on YouTube showing the riot.
- 18 December - The 2007 Christmas event is released.