The following is a list of notable events that happened in RuneScape in 2002.
- 4 January - Servers 5 and 6 online.
- 29 January - Latest RuneScape News.
- It takes a minute to let a dropped item spawn for other players again
- Andrew decided to make Rune battle axes and 2h Rune swords F2P again and to not make them members-only content (even though the member game wasn't released yet).
- 27 February - RuneScape members is released along with the new skill Herblore (called Herblaw on RuneScape Classic) and 5 new quests: Druidic Ritual, Lost City, Witch's House, Heroes' Quest and Merlin's Crystal.
- 18 March - Latest RuneScape News.
- 21 March - 2 New RuneScape Servers online. 8 Worlds, 10,000 capacity.
- 25 March - Fletching skill is released.
- 26 March - Stringing bows xp increased. Woodcutting trees xp increased.
- 9 April - Family Crest quest released.
- 30 April - Thieving skill released.
- 10 May - Latest RuneScape News.
- 29 May - 2000 RuneScape accounts were stat-wiped for Macroing/Autoing or using RuneScape clients.
- 10 July - Some bugs fixed
- 12 July - More ways to get membership!
- 19 July - RuneScape database on a faster server.
- 20 July - Customer Support database online
- 23 July - 3 new members quests, Holy Grail, Tree Gnome Village, and Fight Arena, are added.
- 26 July - The Highscore tables now show the top 100,000
- 15 August - 2 new members quests, Hazeel Cult and Sheep Herder, are added.
- 26 August - In the pipeline...
- 27 August - The Plague City quest is added, along with the Ardougne teleport spell.
- 9 September - The quest Sea slug is added.
- 19 September - Graphics Previews
- 24 September - Tutorial Island, the Waterfall Quest, and the King Black Dragon are added.
- 9 October - 3-D Update
- 18 October - A preview is sneaked
- 23 October - Several new updates, including:
- The combat system was changed so that Monsters that were far weaker than the player would no longer auto attack.
- 25 October - Gowerian Agility
- The Halloween masks were dropped on 30 October.
- 1 November - The mod-noob
- 13 November - Fatigue system released.
- Wilderness monsters made aggressive regardless of level.
- 15 November - A well-deserved rest
- 25 November - The mining and fishing system is changed.
- 2 December - The word on the street
- 12 December - The Agility skill is added, along with the quest Grand tree.
- 25 December - the "Merry Christmas" update begins the 2002 Christmas event
- ^ Jagex. "Members' quests". 23 July 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Sheep and cults". 15 August 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Multi-part quest". 27 August 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Sea Slug Quest". 9 September 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Tutorial island". 24 September 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jaegx. "Updates galore!". 23 October 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Fatigue reduced". 25 November 2002. RuneScape News. *
- ^ Jagex. "Agility skill online". 12 December 2002. RuneScape News. *